Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Another awning question?

Docmark

Docmark

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
We have just aquired a Cali Beach - ex demo. which has not got a wind-out awning.
From searching this site the choice seems to be Thurle or Fiamma.
Which is better? and why?
How much height do they put on the vehicle?
Are there any alternatives, as they do seem to cost about the same as real estate land per square inch of coverage!?

We have just aquired a Cali Beach - ex demo. which has not got a wind-out awning.
Are there any alternatives, as they do seem to cost about the same as real estate land per square inch of coverage!?

I’ve had both.
Fiamma on old T5 van.
Both excellent awnings. Prefer the Thule, but if my memory serves me rightly. The Thule was a lot more money.

I think the Fiamma is rather better built but perhaps not so low profile. As above both work great in practise. Check eBay - Fiammas appear second hand more often but Cali Thules come up too.

Worth every penny They sell both in the Club shop and offer good advise

I never tried the Fiamma, but find the Thule more appealing just from the looks. And as I recall it is slightly lower, so it still keeps the car on/under 2 meters.

Anyway, I have my 3rd Thule Omnistor now (in a little more than a year), due to a failure on the glue welding in the fabric. Finally, Thule have finally sorted the problem, so if you go for a Thule, make sure it is from the new line, where the fabric is made in one piece!

I also need to get a wind-out awning this month. Looking at the two offered in the forum shop, is there an advantage to the Thule that makes it worth an extra £200? Also, I have a Comfortz awning room used with my old OEM awning, would that fit both the Fiamma and Thule?

We've had both and prefer the Fiamma.
Lot better built imo.
Also with the Fiamma it's possible to raise it high enough to enable the driver's door to open. Could be wrong but can't remember being able to do that with the Thule.
Yes, the Comfortz awning fits both.

Lot better built imo.
Also with the Fiamma it's possible to raise it high enough to enable the driver's door to open. Could be wrong but can't remember being able to do that with the Thule.
My door opens OK with the Factory Thule.
Sometimes bump my head on the arm when open though.

Lot better built imo.

Cheers briwy, decision made. :thanks

Good to hear the seam issue on the Thule is sorted (although I heard its only the VW factory ones that have a seam after market ones don't usually) that for me was the only off putting part for that model.

There is a thread somewhere on my experience of self fitting the fiamma. I really rate it and use it a lot. I recommend the first time you install it being cautious opening the front door as its easy to catch the top of your door if its not set quite high enough.

My only very minor criticism of my Fiamma (and @Bigted confirmed his does the same) is that over time the rear of the awning seems to come out a tiny amount due to road bumps etc. That makes it rattle, about once every few weeks I just re-tighten it now to be sure and no problems.

My door opens OK with the Factory Thule.
Sometimes bump my head on the arm when open though.

It depends how you mount the Fiamma. I remember on my old T5 the door used to catch the awning.
I think it’s hard not to on any awning attached to a Transporter because there isn’t much room from the roof line to the door.

Just to qualify the door opening if the Comfortz awning is on then the leg can't be raised enough for the door to clear.