Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Another Brandrup Iso-top question

TimR

TimR

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Thinking about buying a Iso-top mk IV for my T5. Currently have a cali topper but I do a lot of winter camping in Scotland and it can be a pain to put up, in the dark, in wind, snow, rain etc. I also don't stay put so it needs to be re-erected every night. It is either wet or covered in ice when packing away and I just roll it up and put it into a big dry bag together with the thermal windscreen cover which sits on the back shelf - that works pretty well.

Looking at the benefits of the iso-top one major plus is is that it is always in place and requires no storage. Can I expect any difference in warmth winter insulation between the internal iso-top and the external cali topper?

In summer it will be used with the family - is the Iso-top child friendly and can be used with the child net in place? Some pictures show the fit to be baggy - not sure if this is down to how it is installed or just to be expected. The little person likes to open and close windows - many times! Is the fabric pretty durable to pulls and tugs etc.

Inevitably the bellows fabric is going to get wet or covered in frost etc. I know this is a broad answer but does anyone have experience of how quickly it will dry out with Iso-top in place? Does it slow down the drying process. Also does it completely stop moisture coming through onto the bed?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I have loved the 4 or so months we have had our isotop in The isotop fabric is a technical fabric and breathable without being drafty, there is an air space around the isotop too which should mean it dries as normal without that moisture being present inside.

I've never used a external topper but I expect performance will be similar, albeit simpler and more fit and forget with the internal one. The fabric is nice and thin but still insulates well. We love the feeling inside the roof with it fitted, feels cozy. Plus before our heater would keep downstairs warm but upstairs would always feel like it wasnt getting any warmth. With this fitted when we put the heater on we feel the benefit upstairs.

Not used with the net so sorry can't comment.

I have loved the 4 or so months we have had our isotop in The isotop fabric is a technical fabric and breathable without being drafty, there is an air space around the isotop too which should mean it dries as normal without that moisture being present inside.

I've never used a external topper but I expect performance will be similar, albeit simpler and more fit and forget with the internal one. The fabric is nice and thin but still insulates well. We love the feeling inside the roof with it fitted, feels cozy. Plus before our heater would keep downstairs warm but upstairs would always feel like it wasnt getting any warmth. With this fitted when we put the heater on we feel the benefit upstairs.

Not used with the net so sorry can't comment.

Thanks thats good advice

Anyone have other experiences of the Iso-top? The durability of the fabric and/or how child friendly it is with child net up?

There is so much about this in this forum. We use it as well, never used an external faff topper either. Ours fabric have got som holes in it from the zippers, but they are just a mm in size.
I have never used the child net, our boys who are now 9 and 11 have been sleeping up there for three years, no problem except maybe a dropped pillow. The iso top is something you install once and the forget about it.