Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Another new California Beach......

D

dalzios

VIP Member
Hi all, potential new owner here. Appreciate that these questions have been raised before on the forum so apologies if going over old ground but as am strugglling on options hoped someone might sway me......here's what I have come up with so far.
Will be our 3rd and 'family' car wife and I will run 2 small cars for work - so will be weekends holidays etc. 5 of us so will be camper for short breaks and used with tent or big awning for longer trips (3 of us are quite small though so think we might manage to squeeze in for the odd night).

Definates
Parking heater
7 seats
Parking sensors

Unsure
114 and vs 140 (this is my biggest dilemma - help!)
Metallic?
Laminate package - seems to include privacy glass and rain sensors (seems good value over privacy glass on its own)
DAB
Awning - pretty certain will order this for the argument much dearer to add later

These are things we might want or need, not sure if there is anything else we ought to consider from resale point of view (hoping wont be a important though!)

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

We have the 114 and it really suits us. I guess is depends how fast you want to drive though? Although in fairness it cruises comfortably at 70+

We get excellent MPG from it - approx 40+ (but this goes up when on a long run). We have a mini and find ours more economical than the mini (although in fairness it is a cooper).

We have parking sensors and find them very useful. My parents usually travel with us, so there's 5 of us in the bus. Going on holiday is easy as we just move the seat forward to allow loads more room in the boot!

One of the things I would consider is possibly the cool box. These sounds incredibly useful and I believe are quite easy to move in and out of the vehicle. There's many times when we wish we'd added one. We got the VW carpet for the front too - goes right across the front, as the carpet is grey and very light inside - we're glad we did as that's protected the main carpet very well - and we did add the rubber mats to it too!

Some of the other options we don't have. We have satnav and have found that useful. We also had 'blue tooth' added by the dealer afterwards and this is also very useful too.

Hope I've helped a bit? We're absolutely delighted with ours and wouldn't change it. We like the height, the comfort, the usefulness - basically everything about it!!!

Good luck! Hope you have as much fun as we're having with Bertha!

:D

dalzios said:
Hi all, potential new owner here. Appreciate that these questions have been raised before on the forum so apologies if going over old ground but as am strugglling on options hoped someone might sway me......here's what I have come up with so far.
Will be our 3rd and 'family' car wife and I will run 2 small cars for work - so will be weekends holidays etc. 5 of us so will be camper for short breaks and used with tent or big awning for longer trips (3 of us are quite small though so think we might manage to squeeze in for the odd night).

Definates
Parking heater
7 seats
Parking sensors

Unsure
114 and vs 140 (this is my biggest dilemma - help!)
Metallic?
Laminate package - seems to include privacy glass and rain sensors (seems good value over privacy glass on its own)
DAB
Awning - pretty certain will order this for the argument much dearer to add later

These are things we might want or need, not sure if there is anything else we ought to consider from resale point of view (hoping wont be a important though!)

Thanks in advance.

Hi and welcome.

114 will suit for your use, mines a 114 and a daily driver and it never feels underpowered.

If it is a holiday and going away vehicle, a parking heater would be a must. You haven't said if you are looked at used or new? If it is used having a Parking Heater will mean possibly compromise on other options.

I'd want sat nav from new, either the 510 or the Kenwood. If it was me I'd also look at Climtronic, as you are using the vehicle for going away, this system is really good and gives you features like the 30 mins residual heat after the engine is turned off.

If you want the full seven seats then it was be a three seater rear bench, as you can only have one additional seat with the two seater bench and with this in mind I would specify the cool box. The cool box is, er cool, and works really well on the rail system.

Parking sensors would be required and if I was ordering from the factory I would add Xenons.

i don't know about the laminate option but some people have it here so they can tell you.

Awning should be a must and as for colours, erm... I'd always say Yellow and a push White or Red that said there is not a bad colour it depends what you want your Beach to say :)

I was wondering if it would be worth having a pinned post showing people thinking of buying the Beach what various things do as there are now quite a few owners here and people looking to buy a Beach and there is a fair variation on specs now so people could pics etc perhaps?????

Just a thought :)

James

Thanks for replies so far. Don't drive fast, more interest in comfort at normal motorways speeds. Before bluemotion upgrade to 140 would definitely have gone for 114, now consumption and tax closer economy seems less of an issue.

Would be happy to look at used one, but haven't been able to find one so far that has all my essentials, would be prepared to compromise on anything else.

Will propably order from drive the deal this week, have spoken to (not very) local dealer and can't get close enough so will probably order from drive the deal this week. I know mixed views on this on here.

Thanks again

dalzios said:
Thanks for replies so far. Don't drive fast, more interest in comfort at normal motorways speeds. Before bluemotion upgrade to 140 would definitely have gone for 114, now consumption and tax closer economy seems less of an issue.

Would be happy to look at used one, but haven't been able to find one so far that has all my essentials, would be prepared to compromise on anything else.

Will propably order from drive the deal this week, have spoken to (not very) local dealer and can't get close enough so will probably order from drive the deal this week. I know mixed views on this on here.

Thanks again

nice to hear your ordering a beach fella ........ if it that much cheaper on drive a deal then go for it .... something that expensive i would only deal with a dealer ,as they take all my come back if there's issues before ,during and after the handover .. :thumb

enjoy

dalzios said:

Thanks again

:cool

The 115 never feels to slow, in fact with 13k on the clock mine is starting feel quit nippy. It's a still a van and you have to keep the revs up sometimes but it cruises at 80 if you wish, I tend to sit at 60 - 65 and relax.

I'm not sure how much the Bluemotion really adds to fuel economy other 114 owners here seem to get similar figures, somewhere in the 30's around town and mid to late 40's on a good run. Currently my Beach seems to be running on air, I normally fill up (approx £100) and it lasts me two weeks as I use the van daily, I am into week 3 at the mo with just under half a tank left.

If you order a demo or used, unless you are lucky or you don't mind about spec you will always have to give something up.

Keep us updated on what you decide. The Beach is massive amounts of fun :)

Don't forget Calis on the Farm in May, will be Beaches there and have a look through the Beach section here on the forum. It has lots of contributions from various owners and it's something of an unofficial guide - very useful :) ;)

James

Hi

Thanks for previous info guys. Was about to order on drive the deal and spotted a new and unregistered beach in a showroom at a dealership with pretty much the spec I wanted (and available without the 12 week wait!). Picking up next week. :D

dalzios said:
Hi

Thanks for previous info guys. Was about to order on drive the deal and spotted a new and unregistered beach in a showroom at a dealership with pretty much the spec I wanted (and available without the 12 week wait!). Picking up next week. :D

Cool

Do you mind telling us where and what deal you got?

James

Welcome to the Beach club!!... What spec did you manage to get??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi again
So, picked up the beach today and drove the 220 miles home from SMG Tongridge. Had nice handover and steady ride home. Not really had a chance to play with yet but so far very happy.

James the deal I got was 12%, matching the drive the deal price (local dealer offerred 8% and had a 12-16 week wait). I thought that was pretty good until I saw one post on here where someone said they got 17%!

Its 114 BM Olympian Blue with....
Black awning
Sat Nav
Privacy Glass
7 Seats
Comfort mattress
Parking heater
Parking sensors
Fog lights
Ipod
Bluetooth Phone

I'm sure I'll be back with lots of questions soon......

Glad to hear tonbridge gave u good service ,as I got mine from them as well and nice to see another lovely beach in the club :)

dalzios said:
Hi again
So, picked up the beach today and drove the 220 miles home from SMG Tongridge. Had nice handover and steady ride home. Not really had a chance to play with yet but so far very happy.

James the deal I got was 12%, matching the drive the deal price (local dealer offerred 8% and had a 12-16 week wait). I thought that was pretty good until I saw one post on here where someone said they got 17%!

Its 114 BM Olympian Blue with....
Black awning
Sat Nav
Privacy Glass
7 Seats
Comfort mattress
Parking heater
Parking sensors
Fog lights
Ipod
Bluetooth Phone

I'm sure I'll be back with lots of questions soon......

Ah that Beach :) I've seen that one on the net - very nice colour. Tonbridge always do a good spec on their Beaches - parking heater etc.

I think you got a good deal and it depends what you want and when you want it. Had I waited I could have waited till more Beaches came onto the market, I would have liked Climtronic for example but when I bought, there just weren't the Beaches around.

You've got a good spec on your Beach - it's stuff you would like and use :)

Any questions just ask :)

James

I like your parking heater.

Is it mounted under the floor or inside the cab (say under the drivers seat)?

Is it noisy?

I didn't get one on mine and am left wondering if I should think about an after-market retrofit.

What is the standard unit? Is it an eberspacher airtronic D2?

Anybody retrofitted one?

Custardtart said:
I like your parking heater.

Is it mounted under the floor or inside the cab (say under the drivers seat)?

Is it noisy?

I didn't get one on mine and am left wondering if I should think about an after-market retrofit.

What is the standard unit? Is it an eberspacher airtronic D2?

Anybody retrofitted one?

It's the same unit as the full Cali and you can't retrofit in the same way VW have but you can retro fit an eberspacher heater.

http://www.eberspacher.com/dealers.html

Try this, it will give you a list of local dealers.

James

Hi guys
Never posted before, I've just browsed for a few weeks.
I've just ordered a beach after much deliberation went with 'drive the deal' at 12 percent discount,local dealer Liverpool wouldn't budge above 8 percent. I was happy with drive the deal they went through Ashford VW Dealer. Can't see any downside as yet with not using local dealer.
I went for 114 blue motion
metalic silver (kids wanted yellow but thought I'll be driving this thing for 10 years long after the kids have left home!)
couldn't get climatronic on the 114
Parking heater (a must)
Parking sensors
Tow bar
Xenon lights (eyesight on the wane)
Heated front seats
Electric folding mirrors (narrow drive)
7 seats
blue tooth
privacy glass
Coolbox
Awning
2nd sliding window
Decided on theses mostly due to personal circumstances and reading forum so thanks to every one who bothered to write .
Expecting delivery 14 weeks from now maybe earlier.
Almost went for 1 year old ex demo but when one compared the price with discounted price and the much better finance package (6.9 APR as opposed to 12.8 APR for the nearly new vehicle). Add 1 extra year waranty (especially on the options)and MOT and it was a no brainer.

Totally agree Ianto and dont forget the free servicing. I went through the same thought process as you and decided new was the way to go.

Custardtart...I don't know where the heater is yet, vents are in the drivers and passenger door frames. Seems pretty quiet in the van, louder outside, but thats in the day, everything seems louder at night I imagine! I asked the dealer what make it was, he said was vw?? but Im sure somebody on here will know. The remote turn on is very cool.

beach owners or owners to be are popping up all over the place .... :thumb :thumb
This is great :D and i see there is one in the Ashford area which is good to see and not far from me .. :hello

Ianto said:
Hi guys
Never posted before, I've just browsed for a few weeks.
I've just ordered a beach after much deliberation went with 'drive the deal' at 12 percent discount,local dealer Liverpool wouldn't budge above 8 percent. I was happy with drive the deal they went through Ashford VW Dealer. Can't see any downside as yet with not using local dealer.
I went for 114 blue motion
metalic silver (kids wanted yellow but thought I'll be driving this thing for 10 years long after the kids have left home!)
couldn't get climatronic on the 114
Parking heater (a must)
Parking sensors
Tow bar
Xenon lights (eyesight on the wane)
Heated front seats
Electric folding mirrors (narrow drive)
7 seats
blue tooth
privacy glass
Coolbox
Awning
2nd sliding window
Decided on theses mostly due to personal circumstances and reading forum so thanks to every one who bothered to write .
Expecting delivery 14 weeks from now maybe earlier.
Almost went for 1 year old ex demo but when one compared the price with discounted price and the much better finance package (6.9 APR as opposed to 12.8 APR for the nearly new vehicle). Add 1 extra year waranty (especially on the options)and MOT and it was a no brainer.

Hi and welcome

We should call that the 'forum spec'. That's a great choice of bits, I think things like the 2nd Slide Window will be very useful, I kind of wish I had that.

Cool Box very good :)

Three seater or two seater rear seat?

James

Hi Guys
Still waiting for the beach, not long now.
I have been spending all my time preparing my 1986 T25 Westfalia Joker for sale. Just sold it today so I have now got the deposit for the Beach. (Phew!)
I really struggled with the 3 seater/ 2 seater option. finally went for the 3 seater bench option plus 2 extra seats because of what people said about leg room when fitting extra seat.
I had chat with a VW van man today and it got me a bit sweaty about choosing the 115 blue motion and not the 140 bhp. Hoping it's not going to be underpowered?
cheers
ianto

Ianto said:
Hi Guys
I have been spending all my time preparing my 1986 T25 Westfalia Joker for sale. Just sold it today so I have now got the deposit for the Beach. (Phew!)
I really struggled with the 3 seater/ 2 seater option. finally went for the 3 seater bench option plus 2 extra seats because of what people said about leg room when fitting extra seat.
I had chat with a VW van man today and it got me a bit sweaty about choosing the 115 blue motion and not the 140 bhp. Hoping it's not going to be underpowered?
cheers
ianto

I had the same thing - dealer at Chelmsford said I should have the 140 because and this were his exact words, who wants to be in the slow lane?

A was surprised by this, firstly it seemed a slightly unprofessional thing to say and secondly I was surprised because I wasn't sure what kind of sales technique that was and how that would convince me to buy a 140?

The 2/3 Seater is can be broken down basically to the 2 Seater has the same bed as a full Cali (lower and flatter) - a big storage box and a lower non adjustable mutiplex board. Loosely put out of the two options it is the Beach most geared up for going away/camping.

The three seater is a more MPV orientated vehicle with a higher rear bed. It has an adjustable multiplex board and can take two additional seat as opposed to one. No version is better it just comes down to your daily use and requirements.

114 won't be underpowered - can feel slow getting away and as I said previously, got to keep the revs up but once the engine has a few thousand miles on it, no problem.

Bet you can't wait :)

James

Ianto said:
Hi Guys
cheers
ianto

I'd suggest if you are moving up from a 1986 T25 to a 115 blue motion, then you shouldn't feel underpowered. It's not as if the T25's were renowned as being powerful (probably around 80hp?)

I have the 114 Bluemotion Beach and I love it.

It drives like the well put together modern van that it is based on. It'll effortlessly pull a full van with people and luggage and camping gear up to motorway speeds and cruise there all day!.

Perfect!!

Thanks for that ,it's always the same you go past the point of no return and somebody tweaks something on a point you were not certain of in the first place.
The T 25 was a great van we had for 6 years, travelled the whole of the west coast of the British Isles. Quite happy chugging at 60mph on hols. When the Beach option came up suddenly thought swap the T25 and the Audi 7 seater A6 estate for the one vehicle. So the beach has got to do a lot of things.
Should be here by end of June.
Can't wait
ianto

Ianto said:
Thanks for that ,it's always the same you go past the point of no return and somebody tweaks something on a point you were not certain of in the first place.
The T 25 was a great van we had for 6 years, travelled the whole of the west coast of the British Isles. Quite happy chugging at 60mph on hols. When the Beach option came up suddenly thought swap the T25 and the Audi 7 seater A6 estate for the one vehicle. So the beach has got to do a lot of things.
Should be here by end of June.
Can't wait
ianto

Sounds good :)

I think a lot of people approaching the Beach see it as purely a 'camper' and that it must fulfil that role. People spend a lot time talking about it being a camper and making it into a camper.

In my view, the actual genius of the Beach is that is can do so many things. It can be a camper but for us, it's real benefit is just how useful it is on a daily basis. It's practicality and ability to do a number of different tasks makes it the perfect all purpose vehicle.

So you should find it can do a lot things :)

James