Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Any point to Snow Socks with All Season Tyres

M

markh

VIP Member
Just wondered if there was any point to buying some Snow Socks when running on All Season tyres? I'm using 215/60 17" Cargo Vector 2's which have the snowflake symbol but I've never had to test them in snow.

Thinking of heading up to Scotland for some snow fun and wondered if the socks would offer any advantage over the tyres if I get stuck. I know they say socks are not as good as winter tyres but I'm not sure what the situation is for All Season.

Thanks.
Mark

Yes.

I run on winter tyres at present, 4WD and still carry snow socks with me as a precaution.

Depends where and when you go. Major roads, resorts, most Minor A roads will be passable unless snow reaches 2010-2012 levels. Anywhere not gritted and ploughed, where it can drift, can build up accumulations that even winter tyres may not handle. In that case snow socks are a "get you out of the mire" first aid.

They take up very little room, no weight, easy to put on and for less than the cost of a meal and a drink when snowed in somewhere they are a last-case precaution, if, like me at this very moment, want to be wild camped well off the beaten track in the far north of Scotland :)

Easy to put on compared with chains but shred easily as soon as the snow clears a bit.
I had chains on last week in the Pyrenees and stopped at the bottom to take them off. Guy next to me was taking off the remains of snow socks, total mess, bits everywhere and he was under his car for ages getting bits off tangled up round the drive shafts and suspension. Another couple were taking theirs off as well and they were starting to come apart. Of course, no telling how much they had been used previously but definitely a bit delicate compared to chains and not much cheaper.

Chains or socks,

I only envisage socks as a "one time use" get out of jail card so once off snow on to tarmac either remove quick or give up,

I have never had socks shred on me to the point of having to lever bits of the underside, they normally just shred and fall off. With chains I always have just an eeny weeny nagging worry that if not on right and they break it could be my tyre, or worse, that gets shredded. Depends entirely on the individual comfort level.

In France Snow Socks are an acceptable alternative to chains and much easier to put on. Even though I have winter tyres on my car, I'll be taking some with me to the Alps this weekend.

As above, shock socks will get you out of the worst situation. Used correctly, they can be used again and again. And a lot easier to put on when compared to chains.

See you in the alps..... winter tyres and some borrowed chains for me... hoping the weather is ok driving in so I don't need the chains!

So this is a bit left field but I've often wondered if Snow Socks would help you out of a slippery campsite field as much as out of snow (in which I found them to be excellent). Any thoughts?

Snow socks work on the principle of snow adhering to snow.

I've only ever found that mud adheres well to my dogs and children.

So this is a bit left field but I've often wondered if Snow Socks would help you out of a slippery campsite field as much as out of snow (in which I found them to be excellent). Any thoughts?
Apparently they are OK on wet grass but useless in mud

Snow socks work on the principle of snow adhering to snow.

You do know Snow Socks are not actually made of snow. :)

I've only ever found that mud adheres well to my dogs and children.

Wait...So you are saying I should use dogs to get out of mud... Sorry that seems a little harse! Or have I misunderstood? ;)

Apparently they are OK on wet grass but useless in mud
Ah helpful. I was basing my thought process on the fact that carpet under tyres is a suggested way of getting out of mud but I guess that is just that any surface other then the mud is better.

Ah helpful. I was basing my thought process on the fact that carpet under tyres is a suggested way of getting out of mud but I guess that is just that any surface other then the mud is better.

Wilton is ok , Axminster at a push but really I wouldn't be seen dead shoving bits of nylon carpets-r-us under Albert :sad

Thanks all for the replies. I think I'll probably go with the socks for now and maybe upgrade to chains if I ever get brave enough to drive to the Alps! I doubt I'll need either next week looking at the forecast for Scotland.

I ran out of grip on a moderate incline in the Alps over Christmas in the Campervan. After quite a few goes getting up the hill I gave up and put on the snow socks. Drove up the hill absolutely no problem. No way I would have made it without despite having winter tyres on (Goodyear Vector 4 season)

During the massive gridlock in the Alps between Christmas and NY last year the French police only let those with snow chains up to resorts. Snow socks was not an acceptable alternative.

Back