Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Any revolutionary 12v kettles out there?!

An equally good product is Alpkit’s version - and a lot cheaper.

Don’t need a kettle for wine, beer or G&T :)

An equally good product is Alpkit’s version - and a lot cheaper.
+1 for the Brukit

We also have the RM saucepan (With frying pan lid) and the kettle fits inside. Worth a look inside yours if you have this too! :D:D:D
We have the RM saucepan, lovely and deep, great bit of kit :thumb

Understand Ohm’s law and you’ll realise why low voltage kettles don’t work in real world Scenarios. I’ll give you a clue though, it’s current that kills not voltage.

Hi all,

It’s been a while since someone brought up a question about 12v kettles! Is there any decent ones out there? I bought one and it was frankly a joke. Took at 30 mins to get warm before I flung the thing in the bin!

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I fitted a 1.5kw pure sine wave inverter, connected to battery under wardrobe in 2018 ocean. I use a 240v 900w 2L auto cordless kettle £25 from eBay, that boils 1litre of ambient water in 6 mins. And will do this many times, as well as run the fridge and heating for a couple of days and occasional Nespresso machine. Oh, and I have a auto 600w twin slice toaster as well. Just just one appliance at a time. A 30 min drive seems to top it up adequately. Easy! (Or plug it in overnight to fast charge both leisure batteries)

We've got a Swiss Luxx low voltage kettle for when we're on hookup. It's not as fast as the whistling kettle on the gas, but it switches itself off when it's boiled so you can do something else in the meantime (like go to the washroom). We boil up more water than we need and put it in a flask. Useful for more tea later, for washing up, or (next day) for reboiling quicker than all cold water.

Wouldn’t it be more efficient to heat the water on the equipped gas burner?

Wouldn’t it be more efficient to heat the water on the equipped gas burner?
If it's me you're asking, no, why use gas if your pitch includes an electric hookup?

@ejmoore , if you are on 220v hook-up and using a 12v water boiler.....?

Don't know the technicalities - thought we were just discussing feeble electric kettle options, on which basis I'm just suggesting the one we've got may be slightly less feeble than others, but not as fast as gas.

I use a 12v kettle but the best way to use it is to fill and plug it in before you leave. Then when you arrive the water will have boiled and fairly warm and quicker to re-boil. If you have a long drive just keep pressing the button to re-heat. Make sure you get a kettle that has a sturdy base. Use like a water immersion heater and factor in the boil time and it works fine.

I use a 12v kettle but the best way to use it is to fill and plug it in before you leave. Then when you arrive the water will have boiled and fairly warm and quicker to re-boil. If you have a long drive just keep pressing the button to re-heat. Make sure you get a kettle that has a sturdy base. Use like a water immersion heater and factor in the boil time and it works fine.
Good idea lets have a litre of boiling water flying around if you have an accident!
Why not go the whole hog & boil a kettle on the hob whilst driving, just need something to stop the kettle slipping when cornering.

Why not go the whole hog & boil a kettle on the hob whilst driving, just need something to stop the kettle slipping when cornering.
[/QUOTE]
The wife :oops:

Sorry just trying to get some humour in..... but I know what you mean :thumb

What's the point of these things? Just boil a kettle before you leave home, & fill up a flask. Quicker/easier/safer/cheaper.

Good idea lets have a litre of boiling water flying around if you have an accident!
Well this doesn't happen to me, sit it between the kitchen and passenger seat no issues. Perhaps slow down and drive smoothly and avoid the accident. Just advice take it or don't up to you.

...and don't worry, it's unlikely to be boiling anyway

Well this doesn't happen to me, sit it between the kitchen and passenger seat no issues. Perhaps slow down and drive smoothly and avoid the accident. Just advice take it or don't up to you.
Will it remain firmly in place during an accident? Slowing down and driving smoothly is unfortunately not enough, otherwise we wouldn't need ABS, Airbags, Seat belts, crash tests etc..
Slowing down and driving smoothly is good advice, but not sufficient. One has to be ready for the worse.

This thread has turned into pure comedy. Who needs sitcoms when you can have VW California owners debating boiling electric kettles?!

Genius

Has anyone considered foraging for sticks and building a small fire in the sink whilst driving to boil a kettle on? This would save both gas and electricity

Back