Best VW California Dedicated Forum by Miles :)
  1. Next Club Meets

Dorset Meet - 28th Sep - More Details Here
    Shop Open Day/Camping - 10th Nov - More Details Here
    Dismiss Notice

Any Surfers Here

Discussion in 'Catch a Wave' started by soulstyledevon, Jan 7, 2018.

1. MattBW

MattBW Here to help Moderator VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T5 Beach
    Year:
    I really want to learn to surf but I always seem to go away when the surf is poor. Not a surfer but would love to be one.

• I Like That! I Like That! x 1
  2. sapto

sapto VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 130
    Year:
    Great pictures @soulstyledevon! as some mentioned: I would like to be one however closest surf-experience is snowboarding and stand up paddling

3. soulstyledevon

soulstyledevon VIP Member

You probably have half the skills to give it a try when your next near the coast Sapto.
    I was late getting into skiing. Started in 2013 and instantly got on with it. Tackled some red runs on day 3. I put it down to similar balance skills and being committed to the hill, like you need to commit to taking off on a wave.

Been every year since, usually two trips per season. Love the mountains.
    Off to Chamonix again next Saturday (20th). 3rd trip to Cham. Can’t wait.

23075784-C541-4A95-A3C8-81D6FB6591DE.jpeg

4. Shane Bennett

Shane Bennett VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
    Year:
    Full banana or go home ;)

800x-1.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. TwoDogs

TwoDogs VIP Member

Been surfing on and off for over 40 years...grew up in S Wales, minutes from the beach (not far from Porthcawl). Do a lot more windsurfing now, but since my shoulder repair, have done much more surfing again, including 2 trips to France last year (Lacanau area) in the Cali last year. Love it...and look forward to doing much more in a few months when our latest plan comes to fruition...fingers crossed!

6. flying banana

flying banana T6 Beach 150PS Manual VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T6 Beach 150
    Year:
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Frank Mc

Frank Mc

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 150
    Year:
    Good morning all
    I started surfing 7 years ago after a weekend away with a swimming club to Donegal, North West Ireland. I live in Dublin on the East Coast 250kms away....
    Renault Laguna was ok for a while, then I bought a Puegeot Partner which was more suitable for the job and finally I saved up for a Cali....
    Now life is sweet....
    I toured Devon/Cornwall last June for a week.
    Lovely area but Mother Nature did not produce any waves while I was there which was a shame...

• I Like That! I Like That! x 2
  8. BikerGran

BikerGran Growing old disgracefully VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 174
    Year:
    I've never tried surfing but I've taken pics of my daughter SUP surfing (on a stand-up paddleboard) when she comes down to visit - mostly in winter!

9. Jay586

Jay586

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    N/A
    I know the people who set up Surf Snowdonia.

Never actually been to look at it...which is rubbish...

10. Mike Jenkins

Mike Jenkins VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 180 4Motion
    Hi,
    Yes I’m committed surfer, took early retirement so I get to jump in sea 3-4 times a week. Done fair bit of traveling. Live in St Agnes, Cornwall so give me a shout (email) if you fancy meeting up
    Mike

11. Alibee

Alibee 8892 VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 150
    Year:
    Part time surfer, more time spent on snowboard in recent years.

Turned a long overland trip from Belize to Patagonia into a surf trip some years ago and spent a disproportionate amount of time beach-camping in the south of Costa Rica (Matapalo). Also surfed lots of spots in elsewhere in Costa, Panama, Nica, El Salvador and Brazil. Later rented a house in Itacaré for a couple of months, which was nearly as good as Matapalo and a damn sight more comfortable!

It's a glorious way to spend time, but it requires so much of it...

Have fun in Chamonix, and try to stay safe where you go. And you're welcome to drop by if you're ever in Guernsey. :)

12. soulstyledevon

Cheers Mike.
    That would be a dream come true. Give up work to concentrate on surfing. I only have another 30 years of work left before I can retire.
    :sad

Perhaps my numbers will come up on the lottery instead.
    Fingers crossed ;)

13. soulstyledevon

I’ve done Costa Rica Alibee, back in 2010. Loved the place. Would definitely consider a revisit. But still want to see so much more of Central and South America. It’s a stunning region.

14. Alibee

Alibee 8892 VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 150
    Year:
    Had lots of good surfing all the way down the Pacific coast of central america, but Costa Rica was the best blend of great waves, surf community and minimal personal risk! Matapalo is the stuff of dreams, four r/h points, very few surfers (avg 2-6 in the lineups), Macaws overhead, Morpho butterflies, Toucans, waterfalls, etc. but very limited accom. We stayed there for two months in the roof tent on the landy, magic. :)

Overall, thought central america much better for quiet good-quality surf spots than Brazil (didn't try surfing in Venezuela or Argentina), but there's something very cool about surf culture in Brazil, and you still find whole beaches to yourself if you hunt around.

Damn, you've got me thinking about a surf trip again!