Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Anyone else prefer an older California...?

New California vs Old

• New California

Votes: 15 37.5%
  • Older California

Votes: 25 62.5%

• Total voters
soulstyledevon

soulstyledevon

Kennycalifornia
Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Who else prefers their Cali now its worn in a little...?
When I first bought mine, I was a little precious about things. You know, parking, mud in the van and drinks sloshing everywhere. But now its aged a little (over 4 years old) it has a couple of dinks and scrapes, the carpets are worn a little in places and inside is the odd scuff & mark. But because of all this, its better...
Strange statement I know, but im more relaxed when away I don't worry so much about the vehicle like I used too. Its used now and has character. Me, I much prefer it this way.
I guess its like shoes. They look great when you first buy them, but sooner or later they get dirty and more importantly, start to wear in and feel more comfortable than an old pair.

Its the same with a California. Mine feels better to use and own, now its finally worn in :)

Definitely looking forward to getting to this point.

Spent yesterday afternoon Scotchguarding our new cabin mat. I doubt I'll be doing that too often but still getting a bit stressy about muddy boots at the moment.

I think it's the curse of new and underused vehicles. As soon as we get a full season of use the memories will become more important than the scuffs and stains.

Deffo agree- ours is now 6 years old and I'm much more relaxed about it. (Mrs I always had been!) It becomes even more fun for me as I stop fretting about marks on the seats etc. We intend keeping it indefinitely so it just becomes more and more a glorious part of our lives

I hear where you're coming from but haven't voted as mine hasn't arrived yet. I just know I'll be a nervous wreck every time I leave it somewhere!

Definitely looking forward to getting to this point.

Spent yesterday afternoon Scotchguarding our new cabin mat. I doubt I'll be doing that too often but still getting a bit stressy about muddy boots at the moment.

I think it's the curse of new and underused vehicles. As soon as we get a full season of use the memories will become more important than the scuffs and stains.

Don't worry. After 2-3 weeks of camping it will look completely different ;)

I hear where you're coming from but haven't voted as mine hasn't arrived yet. I just know I'll be a nervous wreck every time I leave it somewhere!

Supermarket car parks will be your first stress. Mine has the odd bullet wound, unfortunately its inevitable :headbang

Supermarket car parks will be your first stress. Mine has the odd bullet wound, unfortunately its inevitable :headbang
I'm giving this one back and still paranoid about where I park it. Keeping me fit the distances I'm parking it in supermarkets and the like.

Mike

Last edited:
As my OH is now repeating my mantra "one less door to ding" we like to walk great distances across car parks while we are still young and healthy!

This would be more interesting if the title was

Do you prefer an older woman?

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
When I first bought mine, I was a little precious about things. You know, parking, mud in the van and drinks sloshing everywhere. But now its aged a little (over 4 years old) it has a couple of dinks and scrapes, the carpets are worn a little in places and inside is the odd scuff & mark. But because of all this, its better...
Strange statement I know, but im more relaxed when away I don't worry so much about the vehicle like I used too. Its used now and has character. Me, I much prefer it this way.
I guess its like shoes. They look great when you first buy them, but sooner or later they get dirty and more importantly, start to wear in and feel more comfortable than an old pair.

Its the same with a California. Mine feels better to use and own, now its finally worn in :)
Post of the day for me! Excellent!

I like new ones and old ones! :thumb

Couldn't agree more with you Soulstyledevon. I remember the "bad" old days when we first got her (the van that is and not my wife!), and I would say stupid things to the family like - "Right let's get it done with. Each of you get a lump hammer and run round the van and hammer the sides in - might as well speed the process up given how you're treating her."

But now I'm pretty chilled (it's taken 4 years though), we've had some great times, and hopefully more to come. It just seems to get better :).

Love it

I was never too precious about Albert: with my driving I would be a nervous wreck if I worried about any car :shocked

What I love though, really love, is that "everything sorted" feeling.

I now have my bedding sorted,my choice of bed, my comfort factors, my choice of loo sorted (an essential overnight comfort factor).

My kitchen is sorted. I know what sorts of food to take with me, the limits of how much food prep I'm willing to do, how much washing up I will accumulate, how much mess in the van I will tolerate. Three changes of pots, pans, dishes, cutlery are all behind me (and now with mostly disposables being used so is the washing up!:shocked).

My wardrobe is sorted, the clothes for slopping around, the clothes that travel well, the clothes that feel comfortable and those that are practical necessities are all in their places, all pre-packed, all ready to go at a moments notice.

Where I go, where I stop, what I drink and eat, how I sleep and how I dress now are all part of a well practiced, well choreographed routine that so enhances the camper experience that a camper van has gone from "best tool for the job" to "indispensable item" for practically any application. I love it.

Keeping me fit the distances I'm parking it in supermarkets and the like.

We did a drop off for my son on Sunday at Gatwick then on to a NT house for a visit parked in almost empty car park the far side of a almost empty car park for breakfast before they opened only to have some +^%*$% park so close I could hardly open front door ! Why do people do that.
Iam happy with our 2012 van but if the lottery came up would be ready for a replacement in 2017

Our van is well used and happy with it being used as a daily drive and the wear it gets

Great thread!
Our first scratch appeared on Friday/Saturday - pound to a penny it was a handbag or similar from the person who parked next to a Cali all by itself on the outer reaches of Tescos car park! A waist-height 10" wave on the front offside wing!

Polished it out Sunday.

Insides and dog walking means lots of hovering.

And the dust on the Comfort dash...

Yes there is a level of stress/paranoia with a new one, but I still smile every time I drive it though, so much more refined than the 2005 manual T5 Caravelle.

I was never too precious about Albert: with my driving I would be a nervous wreck if I worried about any car :shocked

What I love though, really love, is that "everything sorted" feeling.

I now have my bedding sorted,my choice of bed, my comfort factors, my choice of loo sorted (an essential overnight comfort factor).

My kitchen is sorted. I know what sorts of food to take with me, the limits of how much food prep I'm willing to do, how much washing up I will accumulate, how much mess in the van I will tolerate. Three changes of pots, pans, dishes, cutlery are all behind me (and now with mostly disposables being used so is the washing up!:shocked).

My wardrobe is sorted, the clothes for slopping around, the clothes that travel well, the clothes that feel comfortable and those that are practical necessities are all in their places, all pre-packed, all ready to go at a moments notice.

Where I go, where I stop, what I drink and eat, how I sleep and how I dress now are all part of a well practiced, well choreographed routine that so enhances the camper experience that a camper van has gone from "best tool for the job" to "indispensable item" for practically any application. I love it.

Yes, that's very true.
It does take a few tries before figuring out what you do and don't need. Then there is the issue of where best to store stuff. We have certain things in certain places.
I'm sure everyone is different to, in what they need/take to escape.
We had a great system sorted, then decided to have a baby which made us re-think everything. No problem, we have adapted and so has the Cali and the vehicle still works great:cool:

Bought second hand (15 months old) from rental company with a few scratches inside & outside but ...20% discount compared to new prices. No scratch stress from the start - this is not to say I'm not careful but I would not be the first to 'break it in' as they say.

Maybe slightly unrelated to the topic but I prefer the seats of the T5 with the grey patterns than the uniform grey seats of the T6.

Back