Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Anyone else prefer an older California...?

New California vs Old

• New California

Votes: 15 37.5%
  • Older California

Votes: 25 62.5%

• Total voters
I have a candy white one so probably unable to see any small scratches. One of the other reasons for our choice of white. Last grey car showed lots of small scratches.
I never park in any supermarket, haven't for years now. On my previous car all scratches/dents except two were caused by some waster without any consideration. I'm sure you've all seen it, "people ding a car and then look around to see if anyone's seen them"

...message ends....

Who else prefers their Cali now its worn in a little...?
When I first bought mine, I was a little precious about things. You know, parking, mud in the van and drinks sloshing everywhere. But now its aged a little (over 4 years old) it has a couple of dinks and scrapes, the carpets are worn a little in places and inside is the odd scuff & mark. But because of all this, its better...
Strange statement I know, but im more relaxed when away I don't worry so much about the vehicle like I used too. Its used now and has character. Me, I much prefer it this way.
I guess its like shoes. They look great when you first buy them, but sooner or later they get dirty and more importantly, start to wear in and feel more comfortable than an old pair.

Its the same with a California. Mine feels better to use and own, now its finally worn in :)

Know exactly what you mean I really do prefer our Cali now much more relaxed and now I can start enjoying it again :)

My Cali was two years old when I bought it and it was just the right age. Old enough to not be in showroom condition but still looking very smart and with a years warranty (thank heavens!).
The idea was to buy it and see how much I use it with the possibility of ordering a new one if we got on well.
I absolutely love it...in fact more and more each time I go away. Would I upgrade it? No. I have things just the way I want them and I would be terrified of damaging a brand new shiny vehicle.
The only reason for upgrading would be if it started costing a lot of money when the warranty expires. If I did get a new one it would be with a bigger engine, DSG and the (vital to me) extended warranty option!

Quite happy with the 140 power output, however i would definitely consider DSG next time:thumb

Mine's over 8 years old now. I'd love to have a brand new one to compare, but I'm really happy with my old one - dents and all. Actually, it's looking remarkably good (it was a "showpiece" one, with big chrome radiator grille and bars, tinted glass etc.) and - as someone has said - attracts quite a few owners of newer ones. It gets used as a van quite a bit, so I can't get too precious about minor damage.

This would be more interesting if the title was

Do you prefer an older woman?
Do the forums generally include these kind of posts? Am new to Calis and the forum and not now feeling welcome to the club................

Back to the theme of the thread, I think there is a case to go even further than just an older Cali.

I think for us with smaller budgets, an out of warranty Cali (SE) is beginning to lose its shine. The roof corrosion is difficult and expensive to fix out of warranty, the cost of the hydraulics is scary, central control panels at £700+ etc.

I'm personally past the point of caring how sophisticated my camper looks (you can probably tell!) so paying to upgrade to an easily scratched dash, easily chipped alloys, expensive low profile tyres etc just add to the worries discussed in this thread. The higher the power output of the engine the greater the problems and cost seem (albeit on limited options).

If I make the jump to a T5 pop top, I'd be quite tempted by this http://www.vwcampersales.com/for-sale/121/
Solid paint, steel wheels, grey bumpers, a fridge (and just about every other componet) that I can pop into any converter and easily replace / get fixed, a manual roof, water tanks you can carry to the tap.............

It does nothing quite as well as a Cali, but it won't make my holidays any less enjoyable and I suspect the ownership experience will be rather more relaxed.

There are benefits to both.

A new cali has a confidence factor, a warranty and a sense you will always get there. It also has a fear factor for me the cost of it, keeping it nice etc.

An older one, you may not worry so much about using it fully, less concerned about scratching it etc.

My new cali is getting older every day either way ;)

Harmless Banter ?

Has BerndRos said just banter everyone is welcome here new old does not matter I will be enjoying mine even more now for the next couple of years then probably think about training Lewis in and getting a new one and then we start all over again worrying where to park it, not to scratch it you won't know what I mean :thumb

Do the forums generally include these kind of posts? Am new to Calis and the forum and not now feeling welcome to the club................

Are you serious? #ShelteredLife

As an "Older woman" I found that quite amusing :D

Most forums have tongue in cheek, off topic , remarks thrown around. Most times, as Berndt said, it's harmless banter. Sometimes it can go beyond that. In this forum very few go beyond harmless, sometimes it does spill over, very occasionally it needs intervention.

If you are new then sometimes the anonymity of the interface can be a little strange. There is no body language, no facial expressions, to gauge a lot of comments on. With time a sense of what's said in fun and what's said seriously, what is harmless and what is said malevolently, grows.

Anyway, your first post so "welcome!"

Has BerndRos said just banter everyone is welcome here new old does not matter I will be enjoying mine even more now for the next couple of years then probably think about training Lewis in and getting a new one and then we start all over again worrying where to park it, not to scratch it you won't know what I mean :thumb
Smashing. Thank you!

As an "Older woman" I found that quite amusing :D

Most forums have tongue in cheek, off topic , remarks thrown around. Most times, as Berndt said, it's harmless banter. Sometimes it can go beyond that. In this forum very few go beyond harmless, sometimes it does spill over, very occasionally it needs intervention.

If you are new then sometimes the anonymity of the interface can be a little strange. There is no body language, no facial expressions, to gauge a lot of comments on. With time a sense of what's said in fun and what's said seriously, what is harmless and what is said malevolently, grows.

Anyway, your first post so "welcome!"
Helpful and welcoming. Thanks :)

Back to the theme of the thread, I think there is a case to go even further than just an older Cali.

I think for us with smaller budgets, an out of warranty Cali (SE) is beginning to lose its shine. The roof corrosion is difficult and expensive to fix out of warranty, the cost of the hydraulics is scary, central control panels at £700+ etc.

I'm personally past the point of caring how sophisticated my camper looks (you can probably tell!) so paying to upgrade to an easily scratched dash, easily chipped alloys, expensive low profile tyres etc just add to the worries discussed in this thread. The higher the power output of the engine the greater the problems and cost seem (albeit on limited options).

If I make the jump to a T5 pop top, I'd be quite tempted by this http://www.vwcampersales.com/for-sale/121/
Solid paint, steel wheels, grey bumpers, a fridge (and just about every other componet) that I can pop into any converter and easily replace / get fixed, a manual roof, water tanks you can carry to the tap.............

It does nothing quite as well as a Cali, but it won't make my holidays any less enjoyable and I suspect the ownership experience will be rather more relaxed.

Fair points.
I've always thought some of the modern Calis are over-specced. Essentially a campervan should be fairly basic and robust.
This is the reason we still see bay windows and wedges on the road.
:thumb

My Pearl Black Sexy Rexy was already 9 years old when I bought him but looked brand new so I was a mixture of feelings! After 6 months the inside looks 'lived in' although I'm a bit paranoid about muddy carpets, and I've made a conscious decision not to worry about the paintwork as I often visit my daughter who lives in a place reached by very narrow country lanes. Drivers coming the other way seem VERY reluctant to risk their paintwork on the brambles etc, so I'd rather a few light scratches than getting hit by a 4X4 driven by an idiot who doesn't know how wide it isn't!

BTW MG01 - welcome from probably a MUCH older woman!

Bobbi

Back