Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Anyone had a Cadac Safari but bettered it?

PaulMilton

PaulMilton

Treading water until retirement.
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I want a gas bbq as we intend to travel in south of France.

A lot of people seem to rate the Cadac Safari, so my question is has anyone had the safari but found something better and why?

I want to be able to connect the bbq to the gas bottle that I need for the Cali ocean so I don't need to bring any other gas canisters or cartridges.

Can't beat the Cadac in my opinion. Small, flexible and ready in no time.

I want a gas bbq as we intend to travel in south of France.

A lot of people seem to rate the Cadac Safari, so my question is has anyone had the safari but found something better and why?

I want to be able to connect the bbq to the gas bottle that I need for the Cali ocean so I don't need to bring any other gas canisters or cartridges.
How far south in France can you go and still use a charcoal BBQ / Cobb BBQ. Is there a recognized gas only zone / area?

I've read on other threads that people have got away with using Cobb bbqs because they don't look like they're fuelled with charcoal.

I'm not aware of there being a particular zone where the rule starts but it does seem to be a common rule on campsites in the south in the summer- I presume it's to cut the risk of fires starting when the vegetation is tinder dry. I wouldn't be surprised if the insurers of the campsites insisted on it.

There are usually areas allocated where you can have a bbq but not on your pitch, there it is gas only.

down sized from a carri chef to a safari and havent looked back !
Dave and Lisa

How far south in France can you go and still use a charcoal BBQ / Cobb BBQ. Is there a recognized gas only zone / area?
In my experience the general no fires rule is an Arrêté préfectoral which is a departmental or regional government thing and widely enforced by patrols of fire marshals (local volunteers) and fire fighters. Having experienced a large (160 fire fighters and 4 Canadair planes) wild fire in France I think the rules are probably a good thing. Having said that, our fire was deliberately set by rival hunters - things haven't moved on much since Jean de Florette.

Of course campsites are also free to make up their own rules and regulations as well and the charcoal grill seems to be going the way of the camp fire in many places.

I have a bit of a stove habit and have everything from the cannister ones to a alcohol stove to the Cadac Safari 2.

The safari chef is proving hard to beat for me and its flaws are very few imho. The only downside is where you want to cook on more than one ring.

I cooked chicken fajitas on it at the Cali meet at the weekend without any real issue on the hotplate, I've used it to "bbq" and also it has a good sized style pan for stews or rice.

Honestly the only thing I would change about it are the gas connector location.

I have a bit of a stove habit and have everything from the cannister ones to a alcohol stove to the Cadac Safari 2.

The safari chef is proving hard to beat for me and its flaws are very few imho. The only downside is where you want to cook on more than one ring.

I cooked chicken fajitas on it at the Cali meet at the weekend without any real issue on the hotplate, I've used it to "bbq" and also it has a good sized style pan for stews or rice.

Honestly the only thing I would change about it are the gas connector location.

Cheers, perhaps I just take my little hiking canister stove in case I want to boil carbohydratey stuff at the same time! Takes up next to no room anyway.

You can't beet the Cobb, lights in seconds, ready in minutes, enjoyed for hours. In the morning you can drop the briquette in a poly bag and the Cobb will wash up with the dishes.

Maybe it is just me but we could not get on with the Cobb!

It is big and bulky, the cobblestones are hit and miss ( and expensive) and worst of all it is a real nightmare to clean. We used ours twice and gave up.

Back