Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cadac Safari chef??

Speleo62

Speleo62

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hi
We are looking at out door cooking alternatives for summer cooking in the Cali and have seen the Cadac Safari chef. Has anyone had any experience or could recommend a good alternative? Already have portable gas cooker with canisters but wanted a bbq type cooker instead so don't have to mess with coals etc
Thanks

We started with cardiac carri chef but just took up too much space
Now have the safari chef but really only big enough to cook for 2 at once
Excellent piece of kit apart from the pizza stone have tried and tried but it always sticks to the stone so now left at home
Dave and Lisa

Can't beat the Cobb barbecue, it is cool to touch and can do most sorts of cooking, fry ups, roasts, stir frys etc.
Plus 1 for the Cobb cakes and pies are very good as well and it's not messey if you use the charcoal heat beads.

We've gone the other way. Had the Chef for a few years now on HP gas and moved across to the Carri and LP.

Jonny at Slidepods one of the site sponsors sells them I believe, could be worth dropping him a PM.

They are a great little system, very versatile.

We have the safari chef setup to use same campingaz connector. Nice backup for the camper gas bottle if you run out.

There's a long thread on Cooking &and Food (I don't know how to copy a link here but maybe someone else can, or if you search for it) - lot's of views and useful tips on various BBQ's etc.

I have a weber smokey joe (charcoal) for when time is not an issue and a cadac safari chef 2 (that takes gas cannisters) for when its a quick deal; like at the beach or in a car park. Its way more useful to have in the van than "just" a charcoal one

I like my lotus grille, charcoal but you can cook on it in minutes. Downside is you have to buy the reassuring expensive lump wood charcoal. That said it doesn't use much per cooking session

Used the Safari Chef since we had the van (2014) inc. a couple of long trips. Very pleased with it, easy to clean etc. Use a slightly smaller gas bottle (904) that acts as spare for the main bottle.

We bought the safari Chef last summer and used it every day we were away. We found it extremely versatile and really easy to clean as long as you put a bit of water in the trough to catch the fat. Only cooked for two of us and it was fine. The wok is a good size and we didn't personally have a problem with the Pizza stone sticking. I found it a bit difficult to regulate the heat at first as the control knob does not have any graduation markings. The flame is not visible in all cooking modes. I ended up marking the control knob with tippex to show the low, medium and high settings. The only other thing I found was that the safari Chef needs to be sheltered from the wind. Someone on here made an aluminium wind shield for their's. We bought a windbreak. We also have the model that runs off the Cali size gas cylinder.

Hi
We are looking at out door cooking alternatives for summer cooking in the Cali and have seen the Cadac Safari chef. Has anyone had any experience or could recommend a good alternative? Already have portable gas cooker with canisters but wanted a bbq type cooker instead so don't have to mess with coals etc
Thanks
We’ve used one for years in our motorhome and there are a great versatile piece of kit, a must have in our view

We’ve used a Campingaz Party Grill 400 for the past couple of years when away. Tbh we bought this ignorant of the Cadac models, but we are happy with what it does. Options are fry/ gridle plate, BBQ bars, straight burner and wok. It also packs away small. This is our preferred means of cooking, running off a 907 bottle. On our last trip we bought a Cadac 33 pizza stone which worked well. After 2 years it’s still looking good and hopefully will serve us for another few years.

Interested to hear of any comparisons between the Cadac Safari and the Party Grill 400.

EA0586AF-E210-4BE4-AC8A-0C9431F96F8D.jpeg

We’ve used a Campingaz Party Grill 400 for the past couple of years when away. Tbh we bought this ignorant of the Cadac models, but we are happy with what it does. Options are fry/ gridle plate, BBQ bars, straight burner and wok. It also packs away small. This is our preferred means of cooking, running off a 907 bottle. On our last trip we bought a Cadac 33 pizza stone which worked well. After 2 years it’s still looking good and hopefully will serve us for another few years.

Interested to hear of any comparisons between the Cadac Safari and the Party Grill 400.

View attachment 93287
Yes I can vouch for these 400's too - a compact option that works well. Unfortunately my pizza stone was broken when we opened the box, but the flat plate works as a substitute. Contrary to expectation you can definitely have the gas too high for pizzas though, burning the bottom.

Yes I can vouch for these 400's too - a compact option that works well. Unfortunately my pizza stone was broken when we opened the box, but the flat plate works as a substitute. Contrary to expectation you can definitely have the gas too high for pizzas though, burning the bottom.
Agree, I used the lowest setting once the stone was hot, and that was plenty hot with the lid on. A Cadac 33cm pizza stone works well and maybe more available.

We started with cardiac carri chef but just took up too much space
Now have the safari chef but really only big enough to cook for 2 at once
Excellent piece of kit apart from the pizza stone have tried and tried but it always sticks to the stone so now left at home
Dave and Lisa
Have you tried a bit of flour on the stone first?

We love our Safari Chef, we carry a spare 907 gas bottle for the built-in cooker anyway so we just hook it up to that for “messy” cooking outdoors, saving our Ocean’s internal kitchen for veg, kettle etc.

We love our Safari Chef, we carry a spare 907 gas bottle for the built-in cooker anyway so we just hook it up to that for “messy” cooking outdoors, saving our Ocean’s internal kitchen for veg, kettle etc.
Agree. - flour or even fine semolina

Hi
Thanks
hi,
we invested the Cadac safari chef what a bbq pack down nice, great to cook on plus extras you can get for it. iv cooked for more than 2, 8 in fact
& coupe well would highly recommend it.

£89 at ultimate outdoors at the moment for the safari chef 30. Very good price for anyone in the market.