Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Anyone insured with LV ?

F

Fatfranky

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
I’m currently in the process of insuring my 2007 California SE, my current insurer does not insure drivers under 30 and I’d like to add my 28 year old daughter so I’ve begun shopping around.

I tried LV online and went all through the process, then when I got to the end I got a message saying “we cannot offer insurance for this vehicle”

I tried ringing them and the agent spoke to their technical team and says that their underwriters no longer offer cover for a VW California!

Has anyone else had similar experiences

How bizarre - a number of us are insured with them and I renewed before Xmas on a multi-car. A lot of people were worried about them insuring a Cali per sey and everything has been fine for me, but maybe they have changed their minds. It could though be the age of your vehicle?

Thanks for the reply

That’s why I included the age in my post, to see if anyone with a similar age of vehicle was insured with them

What age is yours?

I'm with them, no problems insuring a new Ocean 3 weeks ago.

We are with them as well and daughter is on as a named driver. She is 33 and doesn’t live with us. £350 at renewal in October.

I used LV for a new 6.1 Ocean in Aug 21, so renewed last year. Ca. £210 pa NCB protected.

My kids are 20 and 23, so haven't even considered adding them yet.

Have you tried an online quote without daughter, to test whether the bod is giving you a bum steer?

The online quote system for LV seems (when I last looked) to believe that Cali's only started in 2010. Try some of the smaller brokers and you'll probably end up actually covered by some sub division of LV!

LV generally seem confused about Cali's, and what will happen if you burn it down while cooking your sausages, so I wouldn't loose too much sleep over trying to educate them about the true production years.

Last edited:
I had a weird experience with them as my Ocean came up as a beach when I put the registration in it. From an earlier post

"Probably going to go with LV . Was quoted £168.78 for a 2019 Ocean, mileage limited to 10,000 miles, parked in a garage, 9 years + NCB, one no fault accident in the last 2years. When I put my number plate it it came up with a Beach description. Phoned them and told them it was an Ocean which led to the changes below. Eventually after speaking to them they said they would classify it a VW motorhome and that would come with a better level of cover.

• VW CALIFORNIA T30 Beach TDI 150 AUTO Reg ****
    • £151.02
  • VW CALIFORNIA T30 OCEAN TDI 150 AUTO Reg ****
    • £151.87
  • Annual price for VW MOTORCARAVAN Reg ****

£161.78​

When I queried what I would get in the event of an accident they said they would go with what the registration says (in the event of an accident I obviously didn't want them pricing the replacement up on the basis of a converted camper van) . John the call handler got them (presumably the underwriters) to check and they confirmed that it was picking up and pricing in the background on the basis of a VW Ocean. He said it was doing this, regardless of what it was saying on the front screens - Beach, Ocean or Campervan. The campervan option was slightly more expensive than the Ocean one because it came with a better level of cover. "

Thanks for the replys

So far I haven’t asked for a quote including daughter or son in law (with an SP30 conviction)

So I suppose what I’m really asking based on the reply’s so far is “is there anyone who has insured a pre 2010 California SE with LV ?”

Ultimately if they won’t offer cover there’s nothing I can do

I’m also in the process of trying other insurers so should get sorted one way or another

Once again thanks for the reply’s

I have a 2007 California SE that is insured with Comfort, who I moved to 3 years ago based on price and cover. This was through the caravan and motorhome club. My daily driver is with LV but price for the California was not competitive so I've never had it with them.

I’m currently in the process of insuring my 2007 California SE, my current insurer does not insure drivers under 30 and I’d like to add my 28 year old daughter so I’ve begun shopping around.

I tried LV online and went all through the process, then when I got to the end I got a message saying “we cannot offer insurance for this vehicle”

I tried ringing them and the agent spoke to their technical team and says that their underwriters no longer offer cover for a VW California!

Has anyone else had similar experiences
On our third year with LV.

MY23 Ocean insured with LV, 10k miles p.a. With business mileage. £380 with the wife.
All in with the house and her car as well.
Multi car / house policy. Very good prices for her car and the house.
Also only 1 policy to cover all 3 items.
Other insurers wanted close to £900 for the Ocean.
And yes had a claim with LV for a new tailgate on a MY20 two tone white / bronze in Dec 20.
£3k claim, they use VW Coventry for body work.
Work done was outstanding.

I have a 2008 se insured with lv. I had to do a phone quote as it was not on their system but they insure it as a generic vw motor caravan. Confirmed that it's insured to factory delivered spec I.e kitchen and pop top etc and not just a transporter.

Hi - got my first one brand new in November (Ocean 6.1). Insured with them no problem. They seemed to know exactly what the vehicle was and had no problem with it. Good price too.

We also added a T6 Ocean to our existing policy just before Christmas without any problems. Two named drivers over 40. Spoke to an actual person on the phone as I we had to do that to amend an existing policy, so no room for misunderstanding.

One of the reasons for picking a Cali rather than a conversion was precisely to avoid insurance faffage.

We also added a T6 Ocean to our existing policy just before Christmas without any problems. Two named drivers over 40. Spoke to an actual person on the phone as I we had to do that to amend an existing policy, so no room for misunderstanding.

One of the reasons for picking a Cali rather than a conversion was precisely to avoid insurance faffage.
Excellent use of the word faffage!
I think Insurance is a total faffage

Your daughters age is the issue; Most companies will want a minimum age of 30 for a additional driver on a camper. LV most probably meant their underwrters couldn't offer cover for additonal driver under 30.

You could try Admiral Multicar if your daughter also has her own car, they might offer..or try an insurance broker who will do the ringing round for you:

Thanks but as I said in post #10 I only asked them for a quote for myself and partner (both in our 50s) my intention was to use that as a bench mark then obtain another quote with daughter added.

Thanks for all the reply’s I think ultimately if they aren’t going to offer cover I’m really flogging a dead horse

I’ve obtained quotes from AIB & Comfort with the latter being cheaper, for completeness I’ll include the figures for anyone facing a similar dilemma in future

£330 for just me and partner 58 & 55

£570 with 28YO daughter

£630 with 29 YO SIL with SP30

AIB were about £30 more per quote

2017 Ocean been with them a few years, under £200 fully comp no issues.

Back