Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Anyone running wheels larger than 18"?

Tom Lyons

Tom Lyons

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi there.
Just wondering if anyone is running wheels larger than 18" and what is the ride like?
Many thanks

Why?
It's a Campervan! It's designed to go places Motorhomes cannot go. It's heavy when loaded up. It needs the rubber!
Maybe there is a reason VW don't offer larger wheels on the T5 varients!

Same thoughts as WelshGas ,
It looks good , but in my opinion it compromise the use of the Cali.
Lowering,big wheels,larger spoilers,...been there done that when i was 20 and drove a Beemer.....:D
But if you feel like mounting them on your Cali , feel free , don't mind me ....i'm having fun in my standard Cali ....still on my wintertyres at the moment:shocked

I haven't tried any bigger than 18" wheels, The ride is definitely harder on 18's than the nice cushion of the 16" alloys with the big side wall tyres but It's definitely worth it for the aesthetics.
So I guess the bigger the alloy the harder the ride will be depends how much your prepared to put up with.
I hated the boat like ride of the standard van and it used to make my kids travel sick so I fitted the 30mm Sportline springs and never had a complaint since and it drives more like a car.

It's your van do what you want.. some like the plain caravelle look others like the Sportline look. Nothing wrong personalising your van .. thats why they give you a choice of colours!

Its starting to sound like the stock police are on here like the T2 sites lol

Funny isn't it. Someone asks a question. Someone answers it. Someone Disagrees and clicks the " Disagree " button and then *** Silence***.
Seeing as there were a number of comments made in the answer we have absolutely no idea what they are disagreeing with.
Oh well, that's life.
I still maintain that all manufacturers are out to make money and so there is a reason VW don't offer wheels bigger than 18" as an accessory on the T5/California.

We went through this decision process and ended up with 17's little sportier than the standard wheels,could still use the spare wheel plus had a better choice of tyres suitable for the weight and purpose of a campervan. I do like the look of bigger wheels and if our van never left the smooth black Tarmac we would have gone bigger,with the bigger wheels most of the tyres are high performance sports car tyres with soft grippy rubber that won't last very long under the weight of a van.When we park up near a sportline van with 20's, lowered and kitted up I am jealous of the look but then I feel very smug when I can drive over a field without worrying about ground clearance etc put the kettle on enjoy a peaceful evening and deciding shall we sleep up top or bellow tonight.So we are trying to do a few subtle changes to give our van its own personality but without comprising on its practicalities as a go anywhere camper.

I've just fitted some 18" wheels and found the ride better than the 17" Thunder alloys. I was surprised to find it felt better, also the auto grip tyres are quieter than the dunlops on the 17s.
I do like the look of 20" wheels but would want to try before buying.

Just merely asking the question. You see a lot of the converted vans running larger wheels, but very few California's. Me personally and with the cars I drive day to day, I prefer a ride that's slightly less wallowly. Yesterday I had the sportline springs fitted that has reduced the ride height marginly and it feels totally different. I already has the 18" sportline alloys fitted and now I am really pleased with the two in combination. I think anything bigger than the 18"s will ruin the ride and as several people have said the practically of being able to go where a lot of others are unable to. However working for Volkswagen this is something we are finding more and more people are asking about. As Volkswagen have done with their Pasenger Car line up, I dare say that over coming years you may see a 19" available but perhaps reserved for the sportline version of the T6. Having owned a Splitscreen and Bay window and now recently opted for a more practical and the luxury of the California I am bowled over with how outstanding it is. I think that is one of the beauties with all versions of the Volkswagen commercial range whether it is a 1950's Splitscreen or a 2015 California, you have the ability to personalise it how you want and make it unique. Some owners are old, some are younger, some like the sportier image and others don't. The initial question was to get the opinion of how California owners view it versus what I see with so many of the converted vehicles. I appreciate the comments.
Tom

I am running on the 17" original wheels.
I think it all depends on what you doing with it.

My main issue is the stupid %$#=) price of my 17 inch wheels. And beeing a 4Motion it normaly "eats" the 4 at the same time :)

A aspect that we cali owners have to be aware is also the speed rate of these tires and the load... My local tire dealer claimed that the tires are not the usual/ normal tires to find out there. Once again you have to be aware of the load weight are velocity rate.

Don't forget all the mechanical issues that should be reinforced if VW predicted to mount a 20" inch onto the cali... I remember kicking a 16" into my bay window and after some months it seemed that the wheels and rims had damaged the steering parts...

Well I spent months researching the wheel options.

My alloys and tyres are the correct load rating and didn't cost a fortune!

I also have a 4motion so I didn't want to be spending loads of money every time I changed tyres.

Mine are nexen 275/40/20 tyres that cost £80 a corner.

I have done over 11000 miles since putting them on and there tyres still look new!

Wow Rich...

I have Michelin Primacy HP 235/55 R17 and they cost 190€ each :shocked

Note that they say "extra load"

IMG_4144.JPG

I'm on 275/35/20s. Looks great (in my opinion) rides great and corrects the speedo so it's bang on :thumb

Well I spent months researching the wheel options.

My alloys and tyres are the correct load rating and didn't cost a fortune!

I also have a 4motion so I didn't want to be spending loads of money every time I changed tyres.

Mine are nexen 275/40/20 tyres that cost £80 a corner.

I have done over 11000 miles since putting them on and there tyres still look new!

Hi Rich. What are these wheels!?

I heard somewhere that the warranty is void in the first 3 years if you put larger than 18" on a Cali, but that could be rubbish ....

I am running 17" thunders but will be putting 18" on soon as I think they look much better !!!

I heard somewhere that the warranty is void in the first 3 years if you put larger than 18" on a Cali, but that could be rubbish ....

I am running 17" thunders but will be putting 18" on soon as I think they look much better !!!
So there is a reason VW don't offer wheels larger than 18".

So there is a reason VW don't offer wheels larger than 18".
I remember a korean big 4 wheel drive a few years ago gave the miles per gallon for three different wheel sizes i think at 56miles per hour there was a 6 miles per gallon difference perhaps because of more road friction

It makes sense to me. Passed a car broken down today, believe it was a Seat. Big wheels pointing at an odd angle, some sort of steering rack failure. Not suggesting this would happen in a Cali but there are dangers in moving too far from standard without the correct knowledge.

I would add that this comes from a man who in years gone by had a Moggie 1000 van with wide wheels. Loved it

Mike

Back