Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Anyone use their California for Astrophotography?

I’m pretty new to this but very keen to use the van for Astro jaunts!
Was considering Hartland point tonight but it’s a bit of a trek from West London and it might be cloudy. Bortle class 2 skies make it the darkest in the south though… I think.

Off to Cornwall for half term which will be the last of the Milky Way for this year.

I’d be interested if anyone else fancied a jaunt maybe next year as it can be a a bit creepy on your own. The attached shot with the lighthouse was never going to be an Astro success (super moon) and my 10yr old son and I had to make haste back to the Cali for clean underwear after wild boar decided to put in a surprise appearance. #neveragain

The shot with the Milky Way was 2km walk from the campsite in Brittany at about 1am and I didn’t see a soul for hours. Heebie jeebies all the time. It was my second attempt and I posted before somewhere but I got to grips a bit more with Lightroom . Still very much learning but loving it - bordering on obsession though.
8033c178ab7ab64e961adf075b5a33b6.jpg

01fc21694eed2dd1db6fa69f4c5fcfb2.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m pretty new to this but very keen to use the van for Astro jaunts!
Was considering Hartland point tonight but it’s a bit of a trek from West London and it might be cloudy. Bortle class 2 skies make it the darkest in the south though… I think.

Off to Cornwall for half term which will be the last of the Milky Way for this year.

I’d be interested if anyone else fancied a jaunt maybe next year as it can be a a bit creepy on your own. The attached shot with the lighthouse was never going to be an Astro success (super moon) and my 10yr old son and I had to make haste back to the Cali for clean underwear after wild boar decided to put in a surprise appearance. #neveragain

The shot with the Milky Way was 2km walk from the campsite in Brittany at about 1am and I didn’t see a soul for hours. Heebie jeebies all the time. It was my second attempt and I posted before somewhere but I got to grips a bit more with Lightroom . Still very much learning but loving it - bordering on obsession though.
8033c178ab7ab64e961adf075b5a33b6.jpg

01fc21694eed2dd1db6fa69f4c5fcfb2.jpg

Great shots. I'm glad you've brought this topic back up as I know have my van and am starting to think about some dark sky trips. Would be great to organise a group meeting of like minded people.

What was you process for the Milky Way shot?

Great shots. I'm glad you've brought this topic back up as I know have my van and am starting to think about some dark sky trips. Would be great to organise a group meeting of like minded people.

What was you process for the Milky Way shot?

Well I treated myself to a Nikon z6ii and 17-28mm lens for my birthday.
Think I stacked about 12 exposures - 20sec at iso 3200 f2.8 then edited in Lightroom/photoshop. Seemed pitch black there but I’ve checked and it’s only Bortle 4 I think. Would love to see it in Bortle 2 or 1 ! And now I want a 20mm f/1.8 lens ….

Congrats on getting your Cali.

Well I treated myself to a Nikon z6ii and 17-28mm lens for my birthday.
Think I stacked about 12 exposures - 20sec at iso 3200 f2.8 then edited in Lightroom/photoshop. Seemed pitch black there but I’ve checked and it’s only Bortle 4 I think. Would love to see it in Bortle 2 or 1 ! And now I want a 20mm f/1.8 lens ….

Congrats on getting your Cali.

Thanks. Similar set up to me as I have the Z6ii with a bunch of lenses. I'm currently trying to work out which software is best as I have a Mac but thinking I need to buy a Windows laptop really.

Do you have a telescope or are you just using your camera?

Thanks. Similar set up to me as I have the Z6ii with a bunch of lenses. I'm currently trying to work out which software is best as I have a Mac but thinking I need to buy a Windows laptop really.

Do you have a telescope or are you just using your camera?

No telescope as I’m mostly interested a taking Astro Landscape photos. I also bought a move shoot move tracker which I’ve only tried once.
I’ve used ‘Starry Landscape Stacker’ on Mac but that only seems to let you stack photos with identical iso, exposure, aperture etc (Sequator is the PC equivalent).

I’m liking Lightroom and trying my best with photoshop but man is there a lot to learn! I’ve always used Macs.

Nice thread! one main reason for me buying a Cali was photography (mainly landscape) so it’s an expensive accessory for sure. We’re blessed with dark areas down here (Hereford) with Elan valley and Llanthony Abbey etc. Not strictly astro (I suspect) just a standard moon shot.

Moon.jpg

Back