Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Apple car play…

J

Joncali2023!!

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Does anyone else think this system is awful?
My wife has turned off her Bluetooth on her phone but it still rings via the Apple at play system.
Anyone else noticed this?
And when I plug my Phone into the usb-c my phone sat nav doesn’t show up on screen.
It’s so complicated….

It's not the most user-friendly or intuitive system I've ever come across ‍♂️

I’ve found I have to turn on the radio then plug the phone in to get the sat nav to work If I plug the phone in first it never finds it and the only option then seems to be to turn the engine off and start again.

Never had an issue. Compared to manufacturer systems Carplay is a game changer and we always find it integrates brilliantly and all the apps work spot on, albeit with slightly less functionality as you are driving and don’t need to be distracted.

I have it on my Tiguan and Cali and having the exact same interface and setup between cars is great.

From Waze to Audiobooks to Apple Music works a treat for us.

I will say we have stopped the bluetooth connection (just delete it from the bluetooth menu) but mainly because there is a lag when using it, so we just use the cable.

If your wife had BT turned off and the phone not connected by cable not sure how it could ring via Carplay. Technically impossible.

To connect your phone to use maps you need to make sure you select Carplay option and allow the phone to connect.

My wife has turned off her Bluetooth on her phone but it still rings via the Apple at play system.
And when I plug my Phone into the usb-c my phone sat nav doesn’t show up on screen.
It’s so complicated….
I can only speak for the Discovery Media Pro system in the 6.1

CarPlay is an 'Always On' option. Once you have set it up then the van will default to using your phone OS over its own system. This can mean that trying to use the VW system is more complicated than you would wish as CarPlay overrides controls.

CarPlay on the 6.1 D.M.P. is wireless. It uses Bluetooth to establish the connection but then all data transfer is via WiFi.

It works very well I find despite the override limitation.

CarPlay is an 'Always On' option. Once you have set it up then the van will default to using your phone OS over its own system. This can mean that trying to use the VW system is more complicated than you would wish as CarPlay overrides controls.

CarPlay on the 6.1 D.M.P. is wireless. It uses Bluetooth to establish the connection but then all data transfer is via WiFi.

We can easily move back to the VW system just by pressing home on the pro interface. Mainly when we want to change radio stations.

Ours is Bluetooth but as mentioned have it disconnected due to the lag and just use a cable.

Never had an issue. Compared to manufacturer systems Carplay is a game changer and we always find it integrates brilliantly and all the apps work spot on, albeit with slightly less functionality as you are driving and don’t need to be distracted.

I have it on my Tiguan and Cali and having the exact same interface and setup between cars is great.

From Waze to Audiobooks to Apple Music works a treat for us.

I will say we have stopped the bluetooth connection (just delete it from the bluetooth menu) but mainly because there is a lag when using it, so we just use the cable.

If your wife had BT turned off and the phone not connected by cable not sure how it could ring via Carplay. Technically impossible.

To connect your phone to use maps you need to make sure you select Carplay option and allow the phone to connect.
I will try and disconnect it in the Bluetooth menu.
My wife had her Bluetooth off on her phone, and the Apple play system was toggled onto my phone.
But her call was still playing the trough the system, very strange.

CarPlay (at least on the 6.1) is wireless and uses WiFi rather than bluetooth, so you need to turn off WiFi to stop the CarPlay and then bluetooth too if you want your phone to not connect to the van in the "traditional" way (i.e. phone works, but not via CarPlay).

CarPlay (at least on the 6.1) is wireless and uses WiFi rather than bluetooth, so you need to turn off WiFi to stop the CarPlay and then bluetooth too if you want your phone to not connect to the van in the "traditional" way (i.e. phone works, but not via CarPlay).
I'm 99% sure the carplay connection is Bluetooth. I’ve just checked the manual which says the same. It does say you can connect a media source via WLAN but positive that Carplay is BT. Happy to be proven wrong though. See below.

IMG_4821.jpeg

Last edited:
I say this because we've noticed when we turn off WiFi (only) it says it'll disconnect CarPlay.

I'm 99% sure the carplay connection is Bluetooth. I’ve just checked the manual which says the same. It does say you can connect a media source via WLAN but positive that Carplay is BT. Happy to be proven wrong though. See below.

View attachment 111789
So when you get in the car the van talks to the iPhone using Bluetooth’s discoverability. Essentially the conversation is “ Oh hello, nice to see you again, let’s move to a faster WiFi connection.”

So the tech behind CarPlay is both.

Once connected you will see that the WiFi logo on your iPhone becomes greyed out.

As for the radio comment, you are of course correct. I meant that as soon as a text comes in the CarPlay OS takes over and the radio is silenced.

So when you get in the car the van talks to the iPhone using Bluetooth’s discoverability. Essentially the conversation is “ Oh hello, nice to see you again, let’s move to a faster WiFi connection.”

Once connected you will see that the WiFi logo on your iPhone becomes greyed out.

As for the radio comment, you are of course correct. I meant that as soon as a text comes in the CarPlay OS takes over and the radio is silenced.
This makes sense and probably explains why earlier incarnations of CarPlay required a wired connection, presumably because bluetooth is incapable of the data transfer required?

I'll have a deeper look on the bluetooth. Interested in the tech if right. Not for us on radio - we listen to the radio with CarPlay on no issues.

All of our family likes CarPlay and specifies it where needed/ possible on new cars and hired cars. Having a common system that’s agnostic to the car brand is convenient as there’s zero learning curve. We hired a Peugeot in France last year and it came with the standard Peugeot satnav etc., and it took me a few days to become semi competent at setting a route - while driving a strange car, on the wrong side of the road etc.

My only issue in our Cali is the fact you can’t switch off and reboot the system easily when you’re driving and you get a screen freeze/ white screen. In our Volvo you can turn it off with two screen clicks.

It’s using WiFi which overcomes Bluetooth limitations

It’s so complicated….
Does it not connect via wireless rather than Bluetooth

Thank goodness for Apple CarPlay as the VW system is awful. My problem is that my T6.1 keeps rejecting CarPlay and when it does this it turns off all of the assistance systems such as Cruise control, Lane change etc. I need to turn the van off to reset it. Anyone else had this problem? My dealer just says that it is a problem with Apple, which I know is not correct because it works on my other cars.

Not had this personally but the lead tech at my dealer told me this can occur - he was trying to comfort me that the issue I’d got at the time could be worse! Need to check your running most up to date software releases for all the apps in CarPlay and that the infotainment system is up to date.

@Greg&Mel Australian Cali Carplay shouldn't have anything to do with your assistance systems. Can't imagine carplay being able to turn those off.

Carplay works brilliantly here, must admit I never use it wireless cause I like the reliability and the charging of the cable :)

The minor issue we have is there is no quick way to switch users.

As in the Cali somehow prefers her phone to mine, if I’m driving she has to toggle her phone to airplane mode, then it connects to my phone, then she can switch off airplane mode.

Not the worse thing but bit annoying for 2023 !

If anyone knows a simplier way to switch users let me know.

As in the Cali somehow prefers her phone to mine, if I’m driving she has to toggle her phone to airplane mode, then it connects to my phone, then she can switch off airplane mode.

On the car play screen, tap the VW app and the users show on there, so you can in theory switch between them.

IMG_1274.jpeg

On our 6.1 Ocean when you start the van it shows both connectable phones for CarPlay and we choose which is to be used. If only one phone is present, we don’t need to do anything as it defaults to that phone. However, I understand the standard infotainment system in an Ocean is different to the Beach (we have Nav Pro), so I’m not sure my comment will relate to your set up.

On our 6.1 Ocean when you start the van it shows both connectable phones for CarPlay and we choose which is to be used. If only one phone is present, we don’t need to do anything as it defaults to that phone. However, I understand the standard infotainment system in an Ocean is different to the Beach (we have Nav Pro), so I’m not sure my comment will relate to your set up.
Thanks, its the same system for us, but often it’s only when actually driving that we want to switch between phones (not just at startup)

The VW logo tip above is the answer! Thanks @McGons i’ll try that

@Greg&Mel Australian Cali Carplay shouldn't have anything to do with your assistance systems. Can't imagine carplay being able to turn those off.

Carplay works brilliantly here, must admit I never use it wireless cause I like the reliability and the charging of the cable :)
It is weird. When the CarPlay is kicked off the system the screen goes blank, all driver assist systems are turned off, including cruise control. After a few seconds the screen comes back on and if I use the talk button to ask a question it talks to me in German. It is quite funny in a way. But all that was before I connected via cable. If it happens again with the cable connected I guess it is a warranty fix.

Back