Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Apple car play setup - worth getting installed?

Daveb999

Daveb999

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
N/A
Considering getting the Kenwood apple car play unit to replace the standard VW factory unit. People think its worth gettting?

I know I can use my phone for maps but would prefer it on the bigger screen.

Not sure if you are looking at the flush mount or oversized screen, but I use CarPlay almost every trip in my T6. Google
Maps for directions and traffic, but with Waze running in the background I still get the audible sound for the speed limit. This works really well for me :)

Personally have this. I like it has a volume knob. Plus if you push it it activates Siri.
Usb is in the front so will always work even if phone connectors change.
Sony XAV-AX1005DB Media Receiver (6.2 Inch, with Bluetooth and Apple CarPlay) with DAB+ Receiver - Black https://amzn.eu/d/fg1WvJm
Best thing I’ve got for the van.

Apple CarPlay everytime :thumb

Considering getting the Kenwood apple car play unit to replace the standard VW factory unit. People think its worth gettting?

I know I can use my phone for maps but would prefer it on the bigger screen.
Kenwood carplay is great. Waze can be speech controlled so no need to touch the dash at all whilst driving. Evens reads WhatsApp and text message out & allows you to reply using speech/Siri .

Climate control, heated seat, reversing sensors / cameras etc can also be shown on the head unit + steering wheel controls will still function. Just needs a Kenwood interface lead.

Can recommend @Absolut5 Audio ltd for supply, they are very helpful and have excellent customer support.

Not sure if you are looking at the flush mount or oversized screen, but I use CarPlay almost every trip in my T6. Google
Maps for directions and traffic, but with Waze running in the background I still get the audible sound for the speed limit. This works really well for me :)
Why don’t you just use Waze for the routing as well - it’s owned by Google. Waze is quicker at rerouting around delays.

Haha, yeah i kinda thought it was a no brainier but you have all confirmed it. Thanks

Waze always sends me down small roads or through residential areas just to save a few minutes...
I’ve had that as well in the past and unsuitable country roads. Maybe I will give it another go :)

Why don’t you just use Waze for the routing as well - it’s owned by Google. Waze is quicker at rerouting around delays.
Good point! I have used in the past, but my preference is Google maps after a few poor experiences with directions using Waze.

I’ve had that as well in the past and unsuitable country roads. Maybe I will give it another go :)
Good point! I have used in the past, but my preference is Google maps after a few poor experiences with directions using Waze.
Interesting. I've noticed Google maps is not showing me cut throughs/ short cuts etc that it used to, especially in built up areas that i know offer a quicker route.

Waze always sends me down small roads or through residential areas just to save a few minutes...
We’ve had some horrors with Waze. Campsite on the hill above San Sebastián a complete nightmare route.
Still use it a lot but very wary in countryside when it sends you down tiny lanes.
I also assume Google maps will be slightly more main routes, if a little slower perhaps.

Last edited:
Radarbot works great with CarPlay. And has a huge database of radars that updates hourly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Radarbot works great with CarPlay. And has a huge database of radars that updates hourly.

Waze has similar, users can use button to report ‘hazard’ locations whilst driving to warn others. (Speed camera, police, potholes, car on hard shoulder etc)

Waze has similar, users can use button to report ‘hazard’ locations whilst driving to warn others. (Speed camera, police, potholes, car on hard shoulder etc)

Indeed and I used to use it. But they prohibit those POi’s in Switzerland so it’s useless.

I think Flitsmeister works in CH, also provides warnings for speed cameras.

Radarbot is my favorite. Uses Apple Maps and also allows custom setup for car, van, truck sizes and routes accordingly. I have a high roof club joker and that comes in handy to avoid low tunnels, bridges etc. and the graphics are great.

btw yesterday, after a busy half-term driving around S Wales using Google Maps which I've started to use more as I like the wow factor of the satellite view, I got a message saying I was about to run out of data. This also happened numerous times on hols this summer as I used Google maps to avoid Waze taking me down nightmare narrow lanes.

So, does Google Maps use tonnes of data?? Is it the satellite view?

I was under the impression that Waze worked slightly differently in that it took some kind of snapshot when you typed in where you wanted to go and selected the route and then somehow it used GPS to follow your progress without using data. Is that true? That was partly why we used it in France a lot previously. For may daily commute to work I've gone back to Waze.

btw yesterday, after a busy half-term driving around S Wales using Google Maps which I've started to use more as I like the wow factor of the satellite view, I got a message saying I was about to run out of data. This also happened numerous times on hols this summer as I used Google maps to avoid Waze taking me down nightmare narrow lanes.

I was under the impression that Waze worked slightly differently in that it took some kind of snapshot when you typed in where you wanted to go and selected the route and then somehow it used GPS to follow your progress without using data. Is that true? That was partly why we used it in France a lot previously. For may daily commute to work I've gone back to Waze.
You can preloaded the Google Maps for the areas you are visiting or transversing before travel , in big chunks , so minimising download of map data while travelling.

You can preloaded the Google Maps for the areas you are visiting or transversing before travel , in big chunks , so minimising download of map data while travelling.
I suppose Tenby to South London - journey time 8 hours - chewed through a lot of data.

I'm curious to see if anyone knows if Waze works differently. I certainly never used to run out of data.

On Google maps, click on your account Icon, top R, and on the new menu you'll see Offline Maps. These can be updated if required.

Yes, using the satellite view during navigation would use a lot of data. It has to download detailed aerial images for your entire trip, plus any surroundings that scroll into view.
I would assume that data usage for the ordinary map view is similar to Waze. You might reduce that further by preloading offline maps. Offline maps preload the road structure, not the aerial images for satellite view.

Back