Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Applecross

Wow indeed.
We're planning to go over the pass to Applecross from the south in a couple of week's time. Was the road busy? I dread meeting great whites coming the other way, especially on the hairpin bends!

I have some awful video footage of us driving up there, from the phone in the satnav cradle and it still gives me shivers and wonder watching it. Clouds above and below us, so atmospheric. Wonderful place.

I had a head on collision on that road a good number of years back (we were in a hire car). The car was undriveable. it was a local farmer coming the other way.....

Waiting in the pub for rescue --- the publican wasn't surprised at all "that's the third head-on Donald (the farmer) has had this year"

Wow indeed.
We're planning to go over the pass to Applecross from the south in a couple of week's time. Was the road busy? I dread meeting great whites coming the other way, especially on the hairpin bends!
Wasn't too busy when we came over but it's the time of year when it will start getting busier

• Thanks
Reactions: DG1
I had a head on collision on that road a good number of years back (we were in a hire car). The car was undriveable. it was a local farmer coming the other way.....

Waiting in the pub for rescue --- the publican wasn't surprised at all "that's the third head-on Donald (the farmer) has had this year"
Yeah we had a close one on the way out but not a farmer. There are signs at the start of the road stating not suitable for
bealach-na-ba-sign.jpg

A guy in what I can only guess was a hired large motorhome and probably not used to single lane roads with passing places. He ignored the passing place causing a massive blockage on a corner and the vehicle was wheel spinning struggling to get up the road because of the incline and sliding outwards on the hairpin because of it. A perfect example of why the signs are there but of course people don't think they are "very large". It's a great road but you have to be prepared for people who don't know how to drive them or vehicles are not suitable.

He looked terrified as did his wife, and I just took an opportune moment to dart past before he slid out into where we had been on the bend.

If folks have never done passing place single track roads then worth having a read and looking up some videos before going, its easy to get caught out.

https://www.scotlandinfo.eu/applecross-bealach-na-ba-shieldaig/

We drove over the pass last Tuesday. It's not so daunting and not to be missed but we also had a problem with a local. She overtook a car that had pulled into a passing spot to let me pass and then forced me to back up all the way to the previous passing spot. I suppose they must get fed up with tourists but it was a stupid thing to do. I blocked her exit and had a brief conversation with her, seemed she was late for a dental appointment!

• Thanks
Driven Artic's in Europe on tighter roads than that, its down to experience and confidence plus common sense. The road to Applecross is not to be missed TBH, I would drive round the coast and go over from north to south. Having said that the views are fantastic either way (nearly said to die for).

That is the problem these days. People don't know how to behave in traffic.
Once I was getting home, in a slight traffic jam. Moving meter per meter. On the other side of the road there was a car wanting to go left, crossing my lane to get to a petrol station (Belgium, remember). No single one let him cross the road, causing a traffic jam on the other side of the road. I stopped, flashed the lights to let him cross. He waved at me, and even the truck driver behind that car waved at me as a thank you for clearing his side of the road. After the car crossed the road, I moved about 10 meters just to get back in the jam, still behind the car that was previously also in front of me.

Think twice before being too selfish. With waiting 2 seconds (it was all it took) can clear a lot if you have insight in traffic.

I can tell you a lot of stories of how to react in traffic, but that would take us too far away from the OT.

I shouldn't have backed up. You have a California? Cut the engine, turn your swivel seats and open the pop top.
Great view for a camping spot.
I did have a stand off once when I was in my works van. Ate my lunch and the guy still wouldn't reverse, he was set to become violent until he saw I had Molly with me, a border collie with dominant wolf genes. There is no reasoning with some people and I've found it's best to back up and take the moral high ground.:cool:

drove in car a couple of years ago ... scary stuff with too many 'tourists in hire cars' not really capable of driving on a flat single track let alone one at that incline !!

not gravel, tarmac but tight on the passes

Wow indeed.
The road is so steep and tight that the signage is "not suitable for caravans". Drivers of the great whites would have to be deranged to even try

It depends on the time of year. We did the pass in mid April a couple of years ago - did meet traffic but nothing like a queue. Anything large than a California is a no-no as the hairpins are so tight. If you’re very lucky you can wild camp at the head of the bay, there’s a couple of parking places next to the shore line

• Thanks
I have done quite done miles on single-tracks ant there was never a problem. Farmers and pickups and plumbers always get a chance to overtake whenever I can find a spot. And I’m always thanked with a blink of the alarmlights.

Not so on the road to Applecross. Somebody in a rental car and afraid of driving that road (or any other...) stopped aprubtly on the right side leaving no space for me to park behind her or the normal overtaking procedure.

She was also very angry at the driver she had to stop for.

Some corners further on the way down we had to grab an somwhat elderly man on an old motorbike from the gravel on which he slipped away.

Seen them driving the way up, and I felt that they were not very confident and secure in handling their bikes.

The road is lovely to drive, but if you are not up to the job, please take another route or skip Applecross.

This story reminds me of my everyday trip back and to work. Some seem to be afraid to drive, making other drivers do things they don't want to do, and other drivers think they are the king of the road, forcing other drivers to do things they don't want to do.

Everyone has to know that there are rules, invented for situations where there is more than 1 person (car, bike, whatever, ...) at the same time at the same place. But most seem to be living in their own world, forcing others to react to their actions, instead of thinking and handling the right way.

Too bad you can't really enjoy some roads, probably like this one (I have never taken), because of some ignorant people around you.

It reminded me of someone with a massive caravan behind a very potent Mercedes whose attitude was: I’m bigger and can’t back-up - it' their problem, not mine.

Always take the outside so the bend isn't that tight.
It is good tarmac if a little eroded at the edges when we went.

Unfortunately in that case the large white seem aware how to drive those roads, instead of stopping at the passing place to let the traffic that was already on it's way through with nowhere to stop, they drove straight through the passing place. Thus myself and another vehicle was stuck on the outside of the bend and couldnt reverse up the hill. The large white had to take the inside and it was too tight and too steep and they had no traction.

That is the secret to this road and others like it. For me the important thing is to look out for passing places and also vehicles ahead and where they are. Likewise try not to get close behind other vehicles as this can cause a single vehicle passing place to lock up if a few vehicles are in short formation.

Haha I just found a video of the moment, what are the chances, sadly you only see him start off even though we are past the corner and there are no passing places in between. You can't expect people to reverse up hill either. You also can't see the massive tailback building behind me causing even more issues.

With hindsight the driver may have been stressed after realising the vehicle was too large, and not taking time. Take time, deep breath, observe, plan, execute all will be well :)

Last edited:
Little example of the scenery

View from the top:

Large white on one of the more difficult bits
I get as far over as I can but there is nowhere for me to go, about 1:20 I move off after he starts sliding out towards me. You can see how beautiful it is here even if only briefly. There was a pasing place on his corner, he may have thought there was one on ours but there wasn't sadly. Not that my driving is perfect either :)

Last edited:
Further to my post above, we did the Applecross climb on Sunday 26th May no bother. The road wasn't too busy at 10.00 in the morning, despite it being the Bank holiday weekend. I'm glad I drove it.