Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Scotland grand tour

think the beach at applecross was open when I passed.some campers and tents were on there although we used the site to do laundry after being soaked in skye for a week. lots of big white motorhomes on the route and seen some truly shocking driving. even a nob trying a caravan. no idea where he was going to go with that when he passed me. the litter isn't too bad although baffles me why people leave bags of rubbish next to full dustbins to blow about all over...also the infamous dog poo bags are showing up alot. why they don't just leave the stuff of the floor is beyond me rather than bagging it up and then chucking it. some good wild camping still to be had but obviously stay away from campsites as they don't like it. it's ok to free camp at skerray harbour. the big car parks around tongue that view over the tongue inlet near the bridges are all good too. top tip is to leave the nc500 route and go a couple of miles either way...camp late...leave early ish . loads are doing it. bikes. tents . motorhomes everything. hard t9 find that one nice spot where you're actually alone but they are there if you hunt them out. heading to orkney tomorrow now. thanks for the tips.

tongue inlet. turn left just before the bridge and can park on the right

20170805_182128.jpg

The litter and thoughtlessness seems to be a growing theme in the UK. I saw the threads about Loch Lomond and the people literally pitching camp and leaving everything when they leave tents and all.

I often take litter away that wasn't even mine, shame a growing number of selfish folks will spoil it for all.

Its becoming a problem all over the UK.
A surf forum I look at reported an issue with vans pulling up at beautiful locations and over-staying their welcome around the Cornish coastline. When they do finally move on, they leave behind a mess to clean up.

Its disgusting...!!!

Why cant people take away their rubbish and leave a pristine place as they found it. Unfortunately, when these things become a re-occurring problem. Local councils etc are forced to take action. Which usually means its ruined for everyone.
Its a case of the few spoil it for the many...

The utter selfishness of some individuals, beggars belief :rage

Last edited:
Aside from the litter problem I'm going to be controversial and say that our vehicles are, of themselves, a visual blight in many of the UK's landscapes, and on a much larger scale than some cider cans left under a bush (inexcusable though that is, of course).

I'm not surprised at the closure of shoreline parking at Applecross and anywhere else where lines of parked-up MHs and campervans (yes including Calis!) are bound to be an eyesore.

In places like Applecross, and perhaps within NPs and AONBs, maybe it would be quite reasonable and sensible for the community to say no overnight parking anywhere except on campsites or designated car parks (wouldn't it be good if the French aires system was really taken up here?).

Of course from a selfish perspective I'd hate to see that, as we love to 'wild' camp. I'd like to claim that we always do it considerately but I have to recognise that when we're parked in that idyllic and remote lochside spot, for some people we're still a blot on the landscape. Just because we can't see them doesn't mean they can't see us.

I'm close now to just issuing automatic punches to the teeth to people who litter, I filled my bike jersey pockets last time I was out training in Wales, you just don't see this in Scandanvia.

thing is. a car or motorhome is always an eyesore. but generally when I leave i take it with me...as I do my rubbish.

back now. van was faultless throughout and is now filthy throughout. the auxiliary heater was a life saver most nights. here's my cheeky nice spot on orkney mainland near the kitchener tower.even built a neolithic man inspired bbq pit on the beach. rubbish wasn't an issue on orkney. lots of bins about roadside to use at your leisure . just take some bin liners and chuck it when you pass a bin. I too picked up extra litter I found but reckon it had washed up rather than been chucked out. orkney was the highlight. amazing

20170808_204743.jpg

suppose I ought to include the dog and my favourite roadsign

20170805_211458.jpg

20170731_213353.jpg

20170808_161356.jpg

20170731_152028.jpg

Yes that is an actual rd sign.I asked the royal mail postman where it was so I could take my childish shot.

back now. van was faultless throughout and is now filthy throughout. the auxiliary heater was a life saver most nights. here's my cheeky nice spot on orkney mainland near the kitchener tower.even built a neolithic man inspired bbq pit on the beach. rubbish wasn't an issue on orkney. lots of bins about roadside to use at your leisure . just take some bin liners and chuck it when you pass a bin. I too picked up extra litter I found but reckon it had washed up rather than been chucked out. orkney was the highlight. amazing

View attachment 24526

That looks stunning :cool: