Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Applying Decals - prep?

dannosail

dannosail

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
After I've cleaned and removed tar deposits etc what should I use to clean the paint work before applying decals? I think polish should be avoided?

If the transfers are going to be on for a few years I want to minimise the chance of corrosion/degradation. Thanks!

Just ensure it's completely clean...

When I apply them to commercial vehicles I use a silicone remover to ensure long term adhesion but this makes marks more likely when finally removed. (Typically I used IPA... no, not the beer ;) )

On friends vans I've applied over existing finishes and with a good vinyl (Avery etc) I've had no problems with 6 years and over. (My van has them for over 5 years... and this is on top of wax) Cheap vinyl is another matter.

Use an application fluid when applying to ensure you get no bubbles etc. Apply it liberally and squeegee out. (A mix of water and a drop (literally a drop or two) of detergent can be used. Not quite as effective but works well)

Personally I apply, squeegee, leave for a few minutes then apply fluid over the application tape (makes the application tape easier to remove and prevents it lifting the graphic, remove the tape carefully then squeegee out any bubbles which if you use an application fluid will be liquid filled and not air and as such easier to remove.

Lots of different ways of doing this but this works for me.

It's a bit of a hobby for me... up until recently I used to make the club stickers etc for this forum when the proceeds used to go towards charity.

Hope this helps.

Rgds

Mark

Last edited:
Mark,

That's useful. Decals are from the forum so I'm sure they will be decent quality. Might apply a bit of wax as need to wax the roof anyway. Useful to know about the application juice!;)

Mark,

That's useful. Decals are from the forum so I'm sure they will be decent quality. Might apply a bit of wax as need to wax the roof anyway. Useful to know about the application juice!;)

Be a little careful, I wouldn't actively add more wax... It could make it difficult to remove the application tape without lifting the decal. (Particularly if it's only small decals which won't have much surface "grab" onto the paintwork)

Have fun. :)

When ours were fitted no additional wax was applied, just had to make sure the area was clean and dry. Went on a treat and still looking good about 3 months later.

Never ever use wax on a vehicle before applying decals ... It will make your life much easier, and for small decals apply dry and big ones apply wet, and as simplydubs mentioned wet the application tape afterwords it will lift easyier... (Not if it's clear application tape)
Regards
Daniel

Back