Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Are bike racks the new bullbars?

Have one on and use it probably 75% of the time we go anywhere.

Thinking of upgrading the Cali, so just starting to sniff around a few newer vans and I'm specifically looking for a tow-bar next time. Just don't like the bikes on the tailgate when I'm try to gain access to the boot.

Towbar here and like it because we aren‘t tall.
When we got our van, there was a fiamma one (lookalike the VW racks) and changed it aftermarket for a Westfalia.

I don't have a bike rack, but I think my reluctance is a number of members showed me dents in the bodywork where the racks rest, even the VW ones seem to do this. Well that and the fact with dogs we never get time to ride bikes anymore :(

Those who owned a Defender or early Discovery in the 80s and 90s will remember the one-and-only obligatory accessory: a bullbar. Even if you never went to Finland (where there’s a reindeer on every corner) or North Africa (where free-range goats and donkeys are rife) you had to have a bullbar. I was as guilty as everyone; all my five Defenders (and their predecessors) were armed with one. Why? I admit without shame: it looked macho and a Defender without one just looked naked.
Naked bike racks everywhere...

It seems to me that bike racks fulfill the same role on today's Californias. Over the years that I’ve been on this forum I noticed that the original VW bike rack decorates probably 9 out of 10 Calis. But looking at the pics of those Calis there’s hardly ever one with bikes on the rack! Do those people actually have bikes I wonder? Or is a bike rack just a must-have accessory like the old bullbar on a 4X4? (Recently I even read a post by someone who claimed that they only bought a bike rack because it “just finishes off” their van.)

Living on the continent I notice that the original (expensive) VW bike rack is mostly installed on British Calis; Europeans tend to use cheaper removable racks (mostly Thule) that come off when not in use. Is it a cultural thing? Is a British Cali only a “real” Cali if it has a rack on the back, even unused? Is that why people photograph their Cali from the back (see above) if they have a rack?

Just wondering...

I think you’re right it is a Cali must have accessory - I did try using ours last weekend !!! Alas with only 2 kids bikes on it (2 empty trays left) the door was nearly impossible to lift - so it seems the rack will remain for decoration only !! As seems is usually the case as you say

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Easy to put on I found, so easy to remove as well :thumb
A bit of a lump to store though.
I hook mine on the wall in the garage when not in use. I’ve converted an old bike hangar and it sits perfectly tucked away.
+1 for easy removal and fitment though. 5 minute job. I’ve also cut up some old bike inner tubes, cut them to fit so they sit perfectly in the recess to give that paintwork a bit of extra protection with two bikes on. I don’t think the standard film protectors are up to much, especially at the top of the lid where most of the pressure is applied when loaded.

We’ll all have different takes on the bike racks but we use ours lots. So much that I really couldn’t be bothered with adding and removing a towball rack each time, as well as storing it (esp away from home).
It’s often useful to park with the VW rack sitting over a low hedge or fence, and I have found the arms much easier to use than previous racks I have owned and sold (Thule and Atera).
No dents in my bodywork after several years and I frequently open the tailgate with the rack fully loaded (with a helper). I think the key is to *never* drop-close the tailgate. Always shut it mega gently when loaded.
In mainland Europe 4/5 times a year and from what I’ve seen the VW racks are pretty much everywhere. Almost every Cali in NL seemed to have one when I was there 2 weeks ago.
An absolute must have accessory if you use bikes more than occasionally and avoids the expense of tow bar prep & installation. Definitely not decorative - like the awning not always used but there when you need it.

Good morning all :)
My wife and I thought that it really made our Ocean T6 stand out as a camper rather than a commercial van.
We chose the VW genuine one (€800) because it looked like it was a fixed part of the Cali and not just a bolt on.
We do use it for bikes but also as mentioned here already makes a great clothes horse!!!!
:cheers

I do a lot of cycle racing so use the bike rack regularly. It's ideal for MTB and Cyclocross events where I can put a muddy bike on the rack and drive home without getting the interior filthy. The van is also ideal as a race van where I can dress, make food and sleep bfore i travel if I'm tired post-event.

The rack itself is ok, but I use it only for to/from transportation and wouldnt leave the van anywhere public with bikes on it. It has no security especially when transporting modern carbon bikes where frames are fragile (and can't be clamped tightly). I plan ahead when travelling and avoid having to leave the van with bikes on it anywhere as the bikes are quite high value.

My top tip: When transporting I always use a loading strap in addition to the bike rack clamps/wheel straps when securing the bikes as there are far too many films of bikes coming detached from racks circulating in my social circle, during transportation on the roads. Like this one

I mentioned the lack of bikes on bike racks in another thread... the thread was inundated with pics of bikes on bike racks... funny old world!

Lack of awning confuses me...I don't like waving to plumbers :eek:

Yeah AND plumbers have that tube on the roof to keep their pipes in and it looks just like an awning..... doh!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I mentioned the lack of bikes on bike racks in another thread... the thread was inundated with pics of bikes on bike racks... funny old world!

If I'm not on holiday my rack is where the bikes are (in the shed) - but I've bought my van for everyday use. I prefer my van looking like the one from the plumber - so no fixed awning too.

Those who owned a Defender or early Discovery in the 80s and 90s will remember the one-and-only obligatory accessory: a bullbar. Even if you never went to Finland (where there’s a reindeer on every corner) or North Africa (where free-range goats and donkeys are rife) you had to have a bullbar. I was as guilty as everyone; all my five Defenders (and their predecessors) were armed with one. Why? I admit without shame: it looked macho and a Defender without one just looked naked.

It seems to me that bike racks fulfill the same role on today's Californias. Over the years that I’ve been on this forum I noticed that the original VW bike rack decorates probably 9 out of 10 Calis. But looking at the pics of those Calis there’s hardly ever one with bikes on the rack! Do those people actually have bikes I wonder? Or is a bike rack just a must-have accessory like the old bullbar on a 4X4? (Recently I even read a post by someone who claimed that they only bought a bike rack because it “just finishes off” their van.)

Living on the continent I notice that the original (expensive) VW bike rack is mostly installed on British Calis; Europeans tend to use cheaper removable racks (mostly Thule) that come off when not in use. Is it a cultural thing? Is a British Cali only a “real” Cali if it has a rack on the back, even unused? Is that why people photograph their Cali from the back (see above) if they have a rack?

Just wondering...
Admittedly, when taking Campi out at home from time-to-time, there are no bikes on her factory installed rack. But when we head out on tour, the Brandrup bag is on, my Wayscral electric bike is in front of bag and husband's Wayscral foldy bike i's inside. I've had the Thule bike racks on my Berlingo and still use them. If it came to a vote, I would opt for the bike rack we have on Campi.

Just wondering...
I bought mine fitted with the VW rack, but recently sold it and bought a tow bar mounted rack that I use only when carrying bikes. Actually bought new for less than I sold mine on ebay. It does look better with the original rack though

We were in Bude at Easter and another Cali came onto the pitch next to us a few days in. I had Bike rack envy, until....
He lowered the roof with the tailgate open, and one of the fasteners was on the wrong side of the bar. Now he has a bent roof. I helped to straighten it enough to be mobile again, but really felt for him as it will need some professional straightening.
We will continue to display our naked ass

Bike rack, clothes drier, storage box carrier...it a versatile useful addition to the van in my experience.
When not in use it’s easier to leave it on the van....
I plan to use our Thule towbar mount bike rack in parallel, to double up on stowage capacity....then once that isn’t enough the roof bars and box will be going on!

3187DA54-2A10-4A30-B38B-D04203C3453E.jpeg

Bike rack, clothes drier, storage box carrier...it a versatile useful addition to the van in my experience.
When not in use it’s easier to leave it on the van....
I plan to use our Thule towbar mount bike rack in parallel, to double up on stowage capacity....then once that isn’t enough the roof bars and box will be going on!

View attachment 32304

Seems an expensive towel rack, but I'm pretty sure mine will be often used like this!

View attachment 32089 Naked here also.

I will say, without a bike rack and without an awning, we rarely get waves back from other Calis...
I’m hopeless at car recognition and wave at all sorts of VW!!! However yesterday I grinned like an idiot at a lovely blue California at Sparkford forgetting I was on my bike not in the van!!!

I have one but cant open the rear door even when tilted...

That would a major downfall of a hitch-attached rack. There's another thread on here somewhere, which details which racks "tilt" enough to clear the tailgate opening.

I park my Cali in an underground carpark every night. The height restriction is 2.1m, so that ruled out the VW tailgate cycle carrier straight-away for us, as we would've have to load/unload bikes before entering the carpark etc.

My Thule hitch-attached carrier, in the photos above, does tilt sufficiently to allow for the tailgate to fully open with ease.

Ours is used only for drying the washing on when wild camping, no muddy wheels on Kylie thanks! (See mountain pic of SusiBus on forum header)
The former SusiBus...it's now called Bobbybus...and I sold the rack!:Iamsorry

The yellow one is the mine one!!

I use the rack quite a lot, not only for bikes. Plus I set a storage box on the towball for big trips or when have to bring too much stuff.

Back