Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Are you keeping, selling or upgrading?

Billy

Billy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
As the year draws to a close, what are your plans for next year?

Keeping your Cali?
Selling it?
Downgrading to a motorhome?
Buying another Cali?

Our warranty expires in June so we are considering selling it and buying a new one :cool:

Have you done the maths on that approach, it is probably in interesting spreadsheet exercise!

Is it just for the peace of mind of having a pukka VW warranty, or do you fancy a change as well?

If you bought new how much do you reckon you have lost over 3 years?

I guess it makes a difference if you are paying cash or getting a loan.

Our Cali has been pretty reliable, so if I had to get a loan to purchase an upgrade I would probably be tempted to put that loan amount into a Cali account to insure ourselves against trouble. We have another year of warranty so will probably be thinking the same as you in 12 months time.

If you don't mind please share the numbers.

T

Ours has been troublesome but we're keeping it.
An extra years warranty helps.

Is this a thinly disguised "I'm buying a new Cali" thread?!

We got a very good price on ours as an ex demo so looking at current for sale prices we should lose around £5,000 on three years which is amazing, we have also put 32,000 miles on the clock.

It will cost us an extra £8,000 to get what we want so in theory we could put that £8k in the bank to pay for anything that goes wrong but that would be boring :lol:

I just want a brand new Cali , that is worth £8k to me

That's fine; just an unusual way of putting it.

Any spec changes next time around?

Just basic stuff like change of colour, DAB, everything else we will possibly keep the same.

I'd like to ugrade our multimedia system too; works pretty well (but slowly) but the FM reception is dire and the maps are dated in "new roads everywhere" Spain. I will probably replace it soon

Other than that, I think I'd keep ours the same too!

Billy said:
We got a very good price on ours as an ex demo so looking at current for sale prices we should lose around £5,000 on three years which is amazing, we have also put 32,000 miles on the clock.

It will cost us an extra £8,000 to get what we want so in theory we could put that £8k in the bank to pay for anything that goes wrong but that would be boring :lol:

I just want a brand new Cali , that is worth £8k to me

£5000 deprecation over 3 years is pretty amazing - in my man maths that equates to 17 x £100 hotel rooms per year.

So assumedly the extra £3000 is because you are ordering new, rather than demo? I guess if you already have a cali and do a trade in, then waiting for a new build is less of an issue as you have a van in hand :)

Interesting stuff.

T

(My man maths can make most things appear good though - as we have ours on a 5 year loan, and we are paying far more than the depreciation I have convinced myself that the van is a saving scheme!!!)

Hi to all!
I am a T4 caravelle camper van convert for the past 3 years and I am toying with the idea to buy a T5 California early next year... New if possible... it is part of my bucket list so I am enjoying this tread!!
Cheers!
Paddy

teeboy said:
(My man maths can make most things appear good though - as we have ours on a 5 year loan, and we are paying far more than the depreciation I have convinced myself that the van is a saving scheme!!!)

My woman-maths works quite well.

I worked out a forecast for depreciation on my cali. Off that I deducted the depreciation on the vehicle that I traded in for the cali giving me a net cost of cali ownership. Everytime I go away I work out the saving on hotel costs and if I take my doggies with me the savings on dogsitters.

Owning a cali is quite profitable :idea:

cuhullainn said:
Hi to all!
I am a T4 caravelle camper van convert for the past 3 years and I am toying with the idea to buy a T5 California early next year... New if possible... it is part of my bucket list so I am enjoying this tread!!
Cheers!
Paddy

Welcome Paddy, and you wont regret purchasing a Cali!!

GrannyJen said:
Every time I go away I work out the saving on hotel costs and if I take my doggies with me the savings on dogsitters.

And don't forget to take into account all the gas and electricity you are saving at home while you are away!

Looking to buy, full fat Cali!

GrannyJen said:
teeboy said:

My woman-maths works quite well.

I worked out a forecast for depreciation on my cali. Off that I deducted the depreciation on the vehicle that I traded in for the cali giving me a net cost of cali ownership. Everytime I go away I work out the saving on hotel costs and if I take my doggies with me the savings on dogsitters.

:lol: :lol:

For the first year of Cali ownership, we'd work out what each night "cost" us (by crudely dividing the cost price by number of nights) - in the early days, each night was in the £1000s :lol: But actually with glacial depreciation, reasonable running costs and lowish insurance, they aren't actually all that bad at all. A £50k car would cost LOADS more to run. And has no beds.

Back