Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

3 kids - what to do?

So, here you go! Rather easy to fit once you work out where the straps go.

Fits like a glove (multimac super club junior) and with the seat as far back as it will go (without the multimac hitting the brackets for the rear shelf, which are slightly narrower than the multimac). you can even put the table up in the back if you swivel the '5th' seat a little.

View attachment 61099
View attachment 61101

View attachment 61102
Hi, could I ask how easy the anchors are to fit and whether you did it yourself? Also, os it really quick to remove?

Why all? He still got two seats.
Doesn’t need to make up the downstairs bed at night. Peace in the evening. Peace in the daytime. Peace overnight. I remember those days….

Hi, could I ask how easy the anchors are to fit and whether you did it yourself? Also, os it really quick to remove?
The ancors are very easy to fit. Just two big straps that loop around the bars at the back of the seat, then push through to the seat and get threaded into the multimac. After a few goes, I could remove it in less than two minutes, back in in less than five. But it is heavy.

Hi @Camperfamily - please can I confirm if you fitted this yourself? Can I be fitted to a California Coast/Ocean without drilling any holes in the van?

Many thanks
I fitted myself. No drilling, otherwise I wouldn’t have considered it.

The installation instructions are here - if I recall correctly, the Cali bench is per page 6 (Regular tether):

It took me about 20 minutes, it’s very straightforward as long as you have a ratchet set.

The latest evolution in our Cali adventures with 3 children… we’ve today ordered a 3-seater Beach Camper (with almost all the options on our SE). Time will tell whether this is the right choice for us, but we thought it time to give a Beach a try. Wish us luck!
After a false start with a ‘bellowsgate’ 73 plate Beach in October, we took delivery of a new 24 plate Beach earlier this week.

Planning to test the 04S (with A sticker) December 23 bellows tonight.

74BD0D0B-A7C8-496D-A1EA-1A43450862D1.jpeg

Last edited:
After a false start with a ‘bellowsgate’ 73 plate Beach in October, we took delivery of a new 24 plate Beach earlier this week.

Planning to test the 04S (with A sticker) December 23 bellows tonight.

View attachment 120219
Hi @Camperfamily, thanks for starting this thread! It has been a great read.

I was just wondering how easy it is to have 3 car seats in the back of a California Beach 3 seater? Does it have 3x ISOFIX or just 2x?

TIA

@weecamper2019 3 car seats in the back of our Beach works very well for us. Our kids are at different ages; if you had 3 similar aged kids and need for 3 full baby seats it would be a little tighter, but I’m sure less so than most - if not any - other vehicle on the market.

For comparison, we also have a VW Touran and the Beach 3 seat bench is materially wider than the 3 seats in the Touran. On long journeys, we often have our eldest in the front passenger seat of the Beach and one of the adults goes in the middle of the rear bench. This is possible in the Touran, but quite uncomfortable as there’s just less space.

The only potential downside versus Touran is that Beach 3-seat bench only has Isofix on the two outer seats (ie not middle one), whereas Touran has Isofix on each of the three (individual) seats in the middle row. However, our 8 year old is now in a backless booster which is non ISOFIX so no impact for us.

Hope this helps

Get a Beach and a pop up Cinch just to give you some space.

We used a cab bed for our then 3 yr old when we had v young baby in pop up cot in the boot. It was good for a year. Made it difficult to get into the roof and open doors.

We have 2 kids and an SE. The van issue you describe was genuinely I think part of our life planning.

Last edited:
@Lambeth Cali I’m not sure who you were responding to. If me, then we’ve now executed the Beach part of your suggestion.

Haven’t got any tent - don’t think we need / want one, as prefer to travel light and the Beach should allow us to not need outdoor storage, but if we do get one I think it would be a Cinch hub or similar.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this post, it has been a really useful read, and reassuring that I don’t need to move our beloved SE on when kid No 3 arrives!

I was interested to know if on the Cali the straps are fitted to the existing seat belt bracket mounts with eye bolts or are new mounts needed?

If anyone knows of any Superclub Jr or 1000 for sale I’d be very interested. Thanks, Chris

@CasaCalifornia it’s mounted to the existing seat belt bracket with eye bolts. See ‘Regular tether’ in the instructions linked in post 105 above.

I have a Superclub Junior which I’m willing to sell now that we’ve bought a Beach. Also have the Minimac baby seat for it. I’m in Edinburgh however and not sure about shipping it as it’s (1) bulky, (2) an expensive bit of kit. Are you coming north anytime?

Excellent, thank you. We have an office in Edinburgh on Blenheim Place that I visit every other month or so, but tend to fly from Bristol! Would it qualify as hand luggage? Haha. Shall I get in touch to see if you still have it when I am next due up there?

Excellent, thank you. We have an office in Edinburgh on Blenheim Place that I visit every other month or so, but tend to fly from Bristol! Would it qualify as hand luggage? Haha. Shall I get in touch to see if you still have it when I am next due up there?
Sure, sounds good @CasaCalifornia

I tried to IM you but got an error message saying “You may not start a conversation with the following recipients: CasaCalifornia”. This might be due to your account settings, or might require you to have VIP membership - not sure.

Sure, sounds good @CasaCalifornia

I tried to IM you but got an error message saying “You may not start a conversation with the following recipients: CasaCalifornia”. This might be due to your account settings, or might require you to have VIP membership - not sure.
Only VIP members can message each other on the Forum.