Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

At the risk of boring everyone to death with my fox problem......

Mags21

Mags21

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
My previous two posts about the wires under the van having been chewed twice by fox cubs have lead me on a "googlefest" of fox deterrents along with the helpful links others posted on here for me to check out. The van has been attacked twice in 2 weeks. At £360 for the first repair and the second being done as we speak for a similar amount I can't afford to try out the many solutions to see which ones work and which don't.
I have found mention of a factory fitted grille (underside) which is used in Germany as they have problem with pine martens there. The workshop here can order an underside protector but it doesn't extend far enough to cover the wires around the gearbox which are being chewed.They have no other solution. I think a fitted grille underneath the van is the only sure way to stop it happening again - does anyone know how I can get in touch with or check out parts available outwith UK?

re - post title, you should've done a risk analysis :headbang

:(What an horrendous thing to have happened twice ....

I forgave foxes twice for eating my chickens in my rural lifestyle days, but eating my Cali would be war ....

I hope you get it sorted quickly,

What bad luck

Just a thought,couldn't you try getting the van up on ramps at your local Quickfit or halfords ( when it's not a busy time they can be very abliging) that way you can make a better accessment in terms of a fix.
I have read on here these guys can come up with economical solutions
Good luck

this might be a silly idea, but have you tried just spraying some of that foul-tasting stuff that you can get to stop puppies chewing furniture?

I had fox problems, digging up the lawn and flower beds. Borrowed an electric fence and cured the problem overnight - literally. Battery fence energisers are cheap, would run for days off the Cali battery (you could hook up to your house) and would certainly deter fox vandalism. Just remember to disconnect it before you climb in! Don't try it if you park on the road; a farmer was fined for thiefproofing his LandRover with one a few years ago.

My previous two posts about the wires under the van having been chewed twice by fox cubs have lead me on a "googlefest" of fox deterrents along with the helpful links others posted on here for me to check out. The van has been attacked twice in 2 weeks. At £360 for the first repair and the second being done as we speak for a similar amount I can't afford to try out the many solutions to see which ones work and which don't.
I have found mention of a factory fitted grille (underside) which is used in Germany as they have problem with pine martens there. The workshop here can order an underside protector but it doesn't extend far enough to cover the wires around the gearbox which are being chewed.They have no other solution. I think a fitted grille underneath the van is the only sure way to stop it happening again - does anyone know how I can get in touch with or check out parts available outwith UK?

If the wiring not subject to too much heat under the van, try split convoluted tubing over the 'at risk' wiring and lightly wipe over with creosote or creocote or Jeyes fluid.

Rgrds,

Rob H.

Thanks everyone again for the helpful suggestions - we are away in the van at the moment. I will need to think it all through on our return. Thanks again.

Back