Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How much damage can a very small mouse do to your van?

Mags21

Mags21

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Our Cali was displaying "Oil sensor warning" yesterday and the yellow coil light was illuminated. I thought it couldn't be low on oil as it has only done 5000 miles and was puzzled as to what was going on.Visited the local workshop today and they put it up on the ramp.I was watching through the glass as they did this. Two mechanics underneath the van became four mechanics all looking underneath then the salesman we dealt with also under looking and taking photographs! I was summoned to "have a look you won't believe this".
The wires leading to the oil sensor, a sensor connected to the exhaust and another wire (which I didn't catch it's purpose) were all chewed along their length. Most of the exhaust sensor wire was missing completely the other two wires were dangling with nibbled areas along the length. Some little mouse, I can't believe it was a fox which was suggested by the mechanics, had done a great job of totally destroying all the wires in that area.Had to leave the van with them - estimate for repair is £330 plus VAT.
On arrival home an investigation of our drive led to this!!IMG_0528.JPG IMG_0530.JPG
I can't believe a mouse would do this - why? To add insult to injury we have 2 cats who prowl our garden all day every day! And we have no chance with an insurance claim unless we can say the mouse was malicious, which he was, but ...............! Anyone heard of this before?

• Welcome
Reactions: IgK
I work at a car dealership and it's quite common.We have often found a mouse nest under the bonnet and wire or insulation chewed, they like the felt around the battery too.

I have heard that VW uses cooking oil to lubricate with when they pull cords and martens and mouse can smell it and therefore gnaw on wires

We had this just after we bought our van. Had a prebooked a couple of nights away in a travel lodge ( now closed down near Monmouth). To cut a long story short car parl infested with rats, Van into limp mode break lights stuck on. Break cut short van transported back on back of transporter. Wires to master cylinder replaced.

I keep a couple of rat bate poison on the engine block now.

Mice can be a nightmare... Got one in my '72 Bay a few years back when van was left over winter in the garage.... Came up the drainage pipe and ate it's way through the cooler (fridge) sidewall....

Thanks everyone for your replies - repair all done at £360. :( I think it was a mouse or a rat - we don't have pine martens here and very few squirrels. Hopefully it won't return - the cats have been warned they are on shaky ground if it happens again!

Back