Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Atera Linea bike rack - anyone got one?

H

haydnw2

VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Has anyone got an Atera Linea bike rack? Their web page for this specific product shows the rack on the back of a vehicle with the tailgate raised and a bike still on the rack. Having shipped one from Germany and only just got around to translating the instruction manual, I see it says "For weight reasons, remove the bicycles before opening the tailgate.". I am absolutely livid, and now also curious as to whether anyone else has an Atera Linea and if so whether you lift the tailgate with the bikes on? I've read of other people doing it with other racks, but haven't seen anything about the Linea yet. Thanks!

Hi,
Yes I have an Altera Linea tailgate bike rack. Had it for ~ 7 years now. I do raise the tailgate with bikes on the rack. Not had any issues to date. Typically carry combinations of lightweight road bikes up to a full suspension 29er. (7 to 15 kg range per bike , ~ 20kg total )
The gas struts wont necessarily hold the tailgate open, depends on the weight, number and position of the bikes. Also be very careful if the roof is elevated, bike handlebars can easily hit the roof and potentially bend the aluminium. (could occur with any tailgate rack).
They are probably trying to cover themselves.

That's great, thanks very much! Gives me hope that I can nip into the tailgate on occasion without complete disaster ensuing. :)

Hi,
Yes I have an Altera Linea tailgate bike rack. Had it for ~ 7 years now. I do raise the tailgate with bikes on the rack. Not had any issues to date. Typically carry combinations of lightweight road bikes up to a full suspension 29er. (7 to 15 kg range per bike , ~ 20kg total )
The gas struts wont necessarily hold the tailgate open, depends on the weight, number and position of the bikes. Also be very careful if the roof is elevated, bike handlebars can easily hit the roof and potentially bend the aluminium. (could occur with any tailgate rack).
They are probably trying to cover themselves.
Re gas struts, is that why as a newbie, I have seen so many photos of propped tailgates? Presumably, the strut is pressurised to deal with the tailgate + contingency. I guess that owners make their own decisions, but even a substantial prop could be knocked sideways and the resulting collapse could have serious consequences.
(Sorry, just years of risk assessment coming out!)

Re gas struts, is that why as a newbie, I have seen so many photos of propped tailgates? Presumably, the strut is pressurised to deal with the tailgate + contingency. I guess that owners make their own decisions, but even a substantial prop could be knocked sideways and the resulting collapse could have serious consequences.
(Sorry, just years of risk assessment coming out!)
Yes the gas struts will provide an amount of assistance depending on their specification. The California has 'upgraded' (more assistance quoted in Nm to hold the tailgate up) than a regular Transporter due to the heavier tailgate (chairs, blind, dbl glazed window in the Ocean etc) and because adding a tailgate rack & bikes is common for a Cali. They (VW) cant just keep putting more powerful struts in or you wouldnt be able to pull the tailgate down when it wasn't loaded with bikes.
The assistance will change with temp and over time the struts seem to become weaker.
The position of the load (bike) also has a big effect. The further away from the pivot point (tailgate hinge) the bike is the more force it will exert to try and 'shut' the tailgate. This will change as you open the tailgate as the bike travels through a 90 deg arc. Use the inner rail first & put heavier bikes closer to the glass
I don't use a prop for the reasons you mention. If the struts aren't holding the tailgate open easily I let it rest on my back while getting stuff from the boot.

For the record, Atera's reply to my query was:
The instructions in the owner's manual must be followed.
We will check the picture on our homepage and are sorry for the inconvenience.
I will leave it to the reader to decide whether this is based on solid fact, or an over-abundance of caution and a desire not to be held responsible for handlebars hitting rooves.

Just as an addendum, I've fitted this today. Nice and solid on the back, and the chrome tailgate strip (along the bottom) didn't seem to cause any issues with the fitting. The ratchet mechanism that locks onto the frame seems like it could be easier to use / lock. My 2019 Santa Cruz Bronson just about keeps its wheels on either end of the tray, but there is absolutely no way that the wheel straps are going around my 2.4" or 2.5" tyres - I'll have to find an alternative with fabric straps or the like. A bit disappointing, but it seems rack manufacturers are consistently around 10 years behind the curve of mountainbike geometry and wheel sizes. Fiamma are still using press photos of 1990s hardtails with cantilever brakes. Anyway, rant over. In summary: it's nice, but not quite as slick as I'd hoped.

For longer wheel straps I use toe clip straps. (Got mine from Decathlon). They feed through a slot in the wheel cradles. Can just about get away with the existing ones on 2.3 tyres at low pressure. No chance of the supplied ones working with deep section aero wheels.
Once setup I have also marked the position of the wheel chocks. Just a pencil mark round where I want the chock to be.

Just as an addendum, I've fitted this today. Nice and solid on the back, and the chrome tailgate strip (along the bottom) didn't seem to cause any issues with the fitting. The ratchet mechanism that locks onto the frame seems like it could be easier to use / lock. My 2019 Santa Cruz Bronson just about keeps its wheels on either end of the tray, but there is absolutely no way that the wheel straps are going around my 2.4" or 2.5" tyres - I'll have to find an alternative with fabric straps or the like. A bit disappointing, but it seems rack manufacturers are consistently around 10 years behind the curve of mountainbike geometry and wheel sizes. Fiamma are still using press photos of 1990s hardtails with cantilever brakes. Anyway, rant over. In summary: it's nice, but not quite as slick as I'd hoped.
My the chrome strip do you mean the added extra chrome strip and the bottom of boot lid. The instructions suggest it doesnt fit so i was hesitant to order but then saw ur post.
Has it caused any damage to the chrome strip?

many thankd

Yes, we added an aftermarket strip (no longer available on ebay). The bottom edge is flush with the bottom of the tailgate, but that doesn't interfere with the rack in any way, nor has it caused any damage to rack, tailgate or chrome strip. I've just sold my bike, but will try and take a photo if I have cause to put the rack on again any time soon.

Just in case anyone is interested I got spare wheel trays for the Atera Strada and longer straps and fitted them to the Linea wheel tray. I wanted my 2.8 tyres to fit in the trays better and strap on without toe clip straps. Not a cheap fix but there if you want to (prices from a couple of years ago):

Site: www.roofbox.co.uk
QAR094317 - Atera spares: 094317 - Atera bike carrier wheel restraint, ratchet style, right hand side
1 x GBP 12.00 = GBP 12.00
QAR094318 - Atera spares: 094318 - Atera bike carrier wheel restraint, ratchet style, left hand side
1 x GBP 12.00 = GBP 12.00
QAR094314-2 - Bike carrier accessory: Atera Strada 300mm (plus size) straps (x2) for semi-fat tyres - 094 314
1 x GBP 11.00 = GBP 11.00
DELRMT05 - Royal Mail Tracked (2 to 3 days)
1 x GBP 3.95 = GBP 3.95

Total including VAT at 20%: GBP 38.95

Its also worth making sure the threads on the security fitting screws are greased up to protect them if you leave the rack on full time. After a couple of years on my van (bought the rack second hand too) I took the rack off and the security screw on one side seized in the aluminium insert that's rivetted into the rack. This isn't available as a spare so I'm going to have to attempt to drill it out.