Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Audio Upgrade

ChocolateEclair

ChocolateEclair

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Had my Cali for a few weeks now - everything going great - lots of trips and lots of stories.

I have the RNS510 and despite being VERY unimpressed with the sat nav (particularly on a trip to Devon and the narrowest roads I have ever encountered!), I'm really underwhelmed by the quality of the audio.

Has anyone upgraded their audio? If so, does anyone know of someone who can offer / install an upgrade to the speakers and sub woofer?

Rainbow make these which use factory locations/ wiring and are meant to be top quality,Kenwood make a small sub which fits under the drivers seat with a separate remote control.
image.jpg

I'm happy with the audio on my RNS510 and the SatNav has behaved perfectly on my trip through Scandinavia. Have you set it up correctly. If you set it to "shortest" route then you will end up taking some very weird routes. Your choice of course but it has served me well.
Also don't forget using the system when camped will flatten the engine battery unless on Mains. I prefer to have a reasonable system when camped as I find the Dashboard system more than adequate compared with the engine, tyre and wind noise. My personal opinion.

Thanks Jaydub - I'll look in to that. Not too concerned about main battery drain as it's not used when we're camped up that often, plus we have a boombox which is really good. However some solution where you could have a separate amp and sub powered from the leisure batteries would be even better.

WelshGas - The sat nav may be good in mainland Europe and major conurbations in the UK but my goodness in Devon it was awful! We tried every setting to stop it taking us down tiny roads - at one point we were set to fastest route and were driving for 3 miles next to a dual carriageway!

I would get it checked out then because I've used it all over the UK and I've not had a problem like that. Of course if you have the Traffic Updates on then it will alter the route to take account of any problems but it tells you that it's doing that.

Just returned for South Devon and our Garmin Sat Nav did the same.
I enjoy the challenge of being 'off piste', provided the guys coming in the opposite direction can drive a little slower!

Alan

I got also the RND510 , the sound is more than enough but that damn GPS system as we call it ....you guys always say "sat-nav".....:confused:
If i new it was that bad i bought the other Cali that was availble thatone had a 310 radio.
Bought my Cali as a stock-car so did not get to chose options and did go for the one with sat-nav .
O boy ! Have i called that lady in the sat- nav some names....:mute
Wife has Tomtom in her Renault....ten times better!

Note that it do needs an upgrade from time to time!

Hi ChocolateEclair - we had Hazzydayz fit Alpine component (whatever that means!) replacement speakers throughout. Also a powered sub and and amp for the new speakers under the drivers seat. We have the original RCD310 as head unit.

I put a post up on this in the audio section recently. As I said there, whilst audio quality is definitely improved, I'm hoping it can get better by replacing the head unit. Apparently none of the VW units are capable of outputting a properly high quality audio signal (those who know about these things might explain about this?). I'm quite excited at the prospect of Parrot's (due out later this year) RNB6.

I'm told that it isn't realistic to expect much from the sub as there isn't much space available under the drivers seat - and alternative locations for it aren't obvious - I thought about at the bottom of the wardrobe but I'm advised it would be too far from the front seats.

We are attending Calis on the Farm so if you're there you're more than welcome to have a listen

Cheers

Ian

Thanks for all your replies.

After doing some more research I'm thinking of just replacing the speakers, get an amp and sub-woofer installed and wire the stereo in to the leisure battery (there was another post on this topic) - all done by someone more qualified than me when I find that person/company!

Really like the look of the Parrot RNB6 but that may be something for next year.

I have a Kenwood DNX-521DAB.

Has anyone had a problem of the rear speakers in the drop-down locker reverberating? I've had the speakers replaced under warranty, but they still reverberate, especially when people are speaking on the radio. I can get rid of it by turning down the bass, but that rather kills the music quality.

I have a Kenwood DNX-521DAB.

Has anyone had a problem of the rear speakers in the drop-down locker reverberating? I've had the speakers replaced under warranty, but they still reverberate, especially when people are speaking on the radio. I can get rid of it by turning down the bass, but that rather kills the music quality.
Yes. My rear speakers are very 'weedy' and I get the reverberation even at low/mid volume.

I have to fade the audio more to the front than the rear, and likewise can't have the bass too high.

Very annoying for something so expensive - I upgraded to the RNS510, factory installed at what i felt was considerable expense but it really does seem 'entry-level' these days.

My first job is to replace the rear speakers with something decent but not quite sure what just yet.

Maybe it depends what you have in the overhead locker. I've got towels, toilet and kitchen rolls up there + other soft stuff. Fully packed. I don't seem to have a problem. My son who is an ICE fiddler hasn't noticed any problems.

My son has a new Sportline fitted with the Kenwood sound system and sat nav which I understood to be better than the VW one. However, it sounds very tinny in comparison; I think the reason is that the California has different door cards which give more depth to the bass, and additional speakers in the dash.

I've not used the RNS510 navigation much but it seemed to be adequate; I think the mapping is supplied by Navteq. Main problem with the system for me is that the touch screen is not very responsive.

By choice I would not pay extra for OEM sat nav as there are very good ones available for iPhones and Android. Best one I've found is Co-Pilot. However, my Cali was a dealer pre-reg with the unit already fitted.

My son's an ice fiddler too! He tells me not to expect too much from the rear speakers as they're housed in what looks like a plastic surround. As I said earlier in this thread, I've had Alpine speakers installed throughout and I can't say it sounds great in the back. No vibrations though ☺

Try using one of those special pens for iPhones or iPads. Work very well on the touch screen.
image.jpg

I'll give that a go, our company gives them away as promotional freebies! Includes a pen & torch too, cost about £2.99 from Adler (or £34.95 from Branderup ;) )

Thanks for the comments. Yes the Kenwood sounds good in the Cali, but I think it's too strong for the speakers - particularly those in the rear shelf. The interface meanwhile was designed by a spotty herbert in a bedroom who needs to get out more - it's rubbish and way behind in design terms too. I'd suggest anyone considering a GPS unit to replace a VW unit without GPS should look beyond the Kenwood.

On the rear speakers - I will try tea-towel-deadening and see where that gets too - I think that's a very good idea! I reckon half the reverberation is the cabinet itself. As your son says Ian, it's never going to be a great sound given where it is and how it's all put together, but neither should it have a twanging reverberation.

By the way, were the Alpine upgrades worth it in your mind? Did you climb back in, switch on and think... now that's good!?

Dave

Meant to add... Can anyone recommend a good company or person for ICE in London? Cheers...

Do you use your speakers mainly when driving? From my experience with car audio a while back it seems that the advice was to concentrate on the front speakers quality etc. and put the stereo to fade all the way to the front. Improvements can be made by deadening the door panel. This isn't Cali specific.

If it's when you're stationary, we use the Bose mini soundlink.

Hi Dave - in response to your query, I'm not absolutely thrilled - see my earlier post here. I'm hoping a new head unit will make a significant difference. Someone had said that some dealers might actually fit a unit to see if you like it before buying. My ideal would be to try the new parrot unit when it comes out.
We're at Calis on the farm if you'd like a listen.

Thanks Ian, 'Reserves' too.

I thought that's what you were intimating on the speakers, that must have been disappointing. Sounds like extra tea-towels are the way to go for now.

Won't be at Calis on the Farm, but thanks for the offer - we're doing the Henley Traditional Boat Rally the weekend after so will be preparing for that... we have an old boat as well and bought the Cali initially to make doing stalls at some of the boat jumbles circuit more fun - or at least I keep telling my wife Kenna that doing boat jumbles is fun and she gamely goes along with the idea! Of course we now love our Cali, so have two homes that move, which is kind of one too many of course, but that's a nice problem to have...

I think the Parrot unit looks good, the interface design particularly (I'm a graphic designer). Let's stay in touch on what we find/buy that seems to sound good.

Incidentally Reserves, we have a Bose unit on the boat - an 8 year old iPod dock which runs off the 240v shore-power. It survives a largely unheated winter on board and does an admirable job!

Cheers guys...

Agreed Dave - interesting what you say about the interface - it does look to be catching up to the iPad (I admit it I'm totally Apple!) I just need not to be carried away with its visual attraction and keep in mind that it's sound quality I'm primarily interested in.

Kenwood DNX525DAB. Very good on all counts. Sat Nav brilliant. Sound is very good too. When watching a DVD it sounds like you're in a cinema

The interface meanwhile was designed by a spotty herbert in a bedroom who needs to get out more - it's rubbish and way behind in design terms too. I'd suggest anyone considering a GPS unit to replace a VW unit without GPS should look beyond the Kenwood.

Agreed, and it's also very unresponsive.

Back