Aux Heater, 2011 SE

willwander

willwander

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
0D51A56B-6406-4336-A3D3-EA9DD1568E0F.jpeg

I have a 2011 SE which I bought recently.
Found this sticker on my van.
Why do I have two heaters?
I just use the Aux Heater from center console at the moment, also should I have a remote control?

Thanks

The webasto is the auxiliary engine coolant heater that kicks in below 5 degrees to heat the engine circuit quicker and reduces emissions on warm up in cold weather. That is automatic. The eberspacher is the air heater that you control when camping. They don't all come with a remote control as it was an optional extra.

The airtronic is the heater switched on by the control panel
The thermo top goes on automaticly and heat up the engine coolant
A remote was a option .
Scroll thru some existing threads looots of info.

You actually have 3 heaters on your van.

Heater 1 is the standard vehicle heater that gets warm when the engine warms up. Comes with air con on the Cali.

Heater 2 is the Eberspächer Airtronic heater (or parking heater) that is controlled from the centre consul and runs off diesel from the fuel tank. It ticks. Blows out hot air just behind the drivers seat at the bottom of the B pillar.

Heater 3 is the Webasco Thermo Top C coolant heater just for the engine. The onboard computer will fire this up when the outside temp is below 5ºC and warms the engine coolant water up quickly. This also runs off diesel and the pump ticks too. Often you see or smell diesel fumes from behind the front N/S wheel when this is working. Doesn't run for long though.

Alan

You actually have 3 heaters on your van.

Heater 1 is the standard vehicle heater that gets warm when the engine warms up. Comes with air con on the Cali.

Heater 2 is the Eberspächer Airtronic heater (or parking heater) that is controlled from the centre consul and runs off diesel from the fuel tank. It ticks. Blows out hot air just behind the drivers seat at the bottom of the B pillar.

Heater 3 is the Webasco Thermo Top C coolant heater just for the engine. The onboard computer will fire this up when the outside temp is below 5ºC and warms the engine coolant water up quickly. This also runs off diesel and the pump ticks too. Often you see or smell diesel fumes from behind the front N/S wheel when this is working. Doesn't run for long though.

Alan

If we go that way ....what about heated seats as the 4th heater?

It is a good point to turn the normal heater in the dash full power few minutes before arrival at site on a cold day ...

Last edited:
Wow, never knew about the Webasco :eek:

If we go that way ....what about heated seats as the 4th heater?

It is a good point to turn the normal heater in the dash full power few minutes before arrival at site on a cold day ...

Just to confuse things further, mine has the rear heater controls option too lol

On the SE, there are two different rear heater controls. If you have the posher climate control vehicle heating system which incorporates automatic air routing and conditioning in the front, then this is also ducted to the back and controlled by a similarly complicated panel behind the sliding door.

If the heating is a standard simple type with separate manual heat control, fan speed and air routing controls and a simple air con on/off button at the front, then there is no air con available at the back. To get heat only in the back you need to select the 'Rear' button on the dash and make sure the fan and heat setting on the panel at the rear are set. In due course hot engine water will arrive at the rear fan and warm the back up. Does take a while though. The vent is by the floor on the C pillar beside the sliding door.

Hope that helps.

Alan

The webasto is the auxiliary engine coolant heater that kicks in below 5 degrees to heat the engine circuit quicker and reduces emissions on warm up in cold weather. That is automatic. The eberspacher is the air heater that you control when camping. They don't all come with a remote control as it was an optional extra.
The Webasto coolant heater was/is available with an optional upgrade to allow it to be used to preheat the engine and cabin. According to the VW manual, that’s the remote in the picture posted by @Bigted in a related post.

Last edited:
Just to complete the confusion, there is also the “rest” button on the front a/c controls, which uses residual heat from the engine cooling system to heat the cabin through the dash vents for about 30 min., only after the engine has been turned off. You’d think that after so many years VW could come up with a way to simplify this. It all makes perfect sense if you take the time to study it, but intuitive it most certainly isn’t.

Last edited:
The remote in my 2010 was not optional. It came as standard.
And there is no real need to set the heater full power just before arriving in cold weather as we (climatronic owners) have indeed the REST function. Just be aware that this can only work or in the front, or at the back. Not front and back together.