Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Parking heater remote

R

robob123

New to the world of Calis
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi all, I’ve recently bought a 2012 California SE. I’m still getting to grips with various features including the parking heater. My question is should it have a remote control? Mine doesn’t so I’m wondering has it been lost or was remote control for the diesel heater an option? Thanks

Hi all, I’ve recently bought a 2012 California SE. I’m still getting to grips with various features including the parking heater. My question is should it have a remote control? Mine doesn’t so I’m wondering has it been lost or was remote control for the diesel heater an option? Thanks
As far as I am aware the night heater comes with a remote control, had three now all have had them.

Should add, had one SE plus two oceans.

The remote only enables on or off function not temperature selection.

Last edited:
it was an option for me. option 1: heater only controlled by panel. option 2: (about £200 more i think) heater with remote control.

My 2012 Beach has the remote, but you can also operate the heater via the control panel above the rear view mirror.

the control panel is all present and correct. I just thought with the winter coming, it would be nice to tell it to warm up from the comfort of the kitchen window. Does anyone know how I would find out if mine is set up to receive signals from a remote?

the control panel is all present and correct. I just thought with the winter coming, it would be nice to tell it to warm up from the comfort of the kitchen window. Does anyone know how I would find out if mine is set up to receive signals from a remote?
Contact your dealer, ask why it does not have a remote? That would be my first step.

I'm 98% sure it was built to work with a remote.
I'm 99% sure the previous owner lost the remote or forgot to hand it on.
I'm 100% sure your signature details need updating as they say 'T6 on order' which completely negated the answer I just spent a few minutes writing.

VW will charge you around £300 to replace and program it to the eberspacher heater. They'll also pretend they don't know how to do it. You can go the ebay Poland route and take some gambles and try and do it much cheaper.

I'm 98% sure it was built to work with a remote.
I'm 99% sure the previous owner lost the remote or forgot to hand it on.
I'm 100% sure your signature details need updating as they say 'T6 on order' which completely negated the answer I just spent a few minutes writing.

VW will charge you around £300 to replace and program it to the eberspacher heater. They'll also pretend they don't know how to do it. You can go the ebay Poland route and take some gambles and try and do it much cheaper.
Thank you and correct re the biog. Unfortunately I can’t see how to change that! only thing I seem to be able to edit is the avatar. I’ll speak to my local Vw van centre about a key.

Thank you and correct re the biog. Unfortunately I can’t see how to change that! only thing I seem to be able to edit is the avatar. I’ll speak to my local Vw van centre about a key.
Click on your Avatar on top of page . Select Account Details and then scroll down to vehicle details and select correct vehicle type. It does help with answers.

According to the California 2012 Brochure, the Parking Heater Remote was Standard.

Don’t forget you have an option to set the timer for the heater to come on from the control panel. Handy if you have a firm time to leave until you get your remote sorted.

My 2010 came with it. Ask the seller where it is and if he doesn't have it, if he is going to refund you the cost of a new remote?

Don’t forget you have an option to set the timer for the heater to come on from the control panel. Handy if you have a firm time to leave until you get your remote sorted.

⬆️ This!
I wouldn’t obsess over it. Spend your time enjoying your van. I think we’ve used our remote control once. Sits in a drawer now.
During the winter we use the timer to turn the heater on in the mornings so that the van is warm and ready for the school run / journey to work.
If we use the heater when we’re camping we work it from the control panel.