Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Avoiding roof corrosion?

I sympathise, I was very tempted to do that too.

I guess the argument in support is that, as a conscientious owner, you are now aware of the inherent risk, so you will regularly check, clean and re-treat around the seal (as will I). As a result, there is little or no chance of bubbling paint on the aluminium and a resulting need for a warranty claim.

It is not an easy decision, particularly on a brand new vehicle.
Would you be willing to post photos of where to check and what for please?

Yes, but have you first read my detailed post #80 above? Actually, although long, all 7 pages of this string are pretty helpful on the subject, for example @Perfectos posted just above #80 his own 4 seals tale of woe (on a MY2021).

Initially - whilst I know some say 'leave well alone' - I personally would recommend carefully removing the seal, as posting #80 above, on a really warm sunny day when the car's roof has got pretty hot (so the rubber is soft); and inspecting and cleaning much as posting #80.

What you are looking for is (i) rust stains and (ii) paint damage on the aluminium raising roof panel, either bubbling or scratches.

@WelshGas has a theory that one contributory factor to the problem could be the roof seal bonding to the roof frame below, so that it then moves and rubs. Relevant maintenance could sensibly include regularly preventative treatment of the seal externally with a rubber/vinyl product such as Autoglym or Gummi Pflege.

Last edited:
Yes, but have you first read my detailed post #80 above? Actually, although long, all 7 pages of this string is pretty helpful on the subject, for example @Perfectos posted just above #80 his own 4 seals tale of woe (on a MY2021).

Initially - whilst I know some say 'leave well alone' - personally I would recommend carefully removing the seal, as posting #80 above, on a really warm sunny day when the car's roof has got pretty hot (so the rubber is soft); and inspecting and cleaning much as posting #80.

What you are looking for is (i) rust stains and (ii) paint damage on the aluminium raising roof panel, either bubbling or scratches.

@WelshGas has a theory that one contributory factor to the problems could be the roof seal bonding to the roof frame below, so that it then moves on and rubs the paint on the aluminium section. Relevant maintenance could sensibly include regularly treating the seal externally with a rubber/vinyl product such as Autoglym or Gummi Pflege.
Thanks and sorry. I am sat in a Welsh campsite, with some Welsh gin and Caerphilly on board after a day in the saddle with a pooch on my back. I jumped to the easy option - I’ll re-read this thread.
Thanks to all who have contributed I’m sure there are horror photos somewhere. I’m gutted to read about this known problem

It’s really not a big job I have just been out and removed the seal in sections cleaned and checked the seal ,it has a few places that have caused a rust stain but no corrosion on the alloy roof just seal damage,so I have cleaned the roof and wiped lanoguard grease onto the roof lip then refitted roof goes up and down seal stays in position
I just ask myself why have they put a m3 plastic tape on every edge but the front very strange

It’s really not a big job I have just been out and removed the seal in sections cleaned and checked the seal ,it has a few places that have caused a rust stain but no corrosion on the alloy roof just seal damage,so I have cleaned the roof and wiped lanoguard grease onto the roof lip then refitted roof goes up and down seal stays in position
I just ask myself why have they put a m3 plastic tape on every edge but the front very strange
Thanks 90, I’m a simple man with an eye for making a mess of things, so hoping for a: Step 1 - raise the roof -type post.
I’ll keep an eye though and put the work in on reading this thread

Thanks and sorry. I am sat in a Welsh campsite, with some Welsh gin and Caerphilly on board after a day in the saddle with a pooch on my back. I jumped to the easy option - I’ll re-read this thread.
Thanks to all who have contributed I’m sure there are horror photos somewhere. I’m gutted to read about this known problem
I think it is all in here above, and worth the effort. Particularly if your ownership plan is long term.

Thanks 90, I’m a simple man with an eye for making a mess of things, so hoping for a: Step 1 - raise the roof -type post.
I’ll keep an eye though and put the work in on reading this thread
Step one raise the roof 6”
get some step ladders
start at the front pull the Seal away from the middle of the roof and work towards yourself
then clean the area the seal has been in contact with
then apply lanoguard grease with your finger to the area the seal comes in contact with don’t worry about making a mess it wipes off
as you work your way around raise the roof another 6” which will help with access to the seal at the rear
then work your way around the van front to back.

it’s that simple

get some step ladders
start at the front pull the Seal away from the middle of the roof and work towards yourself
then apply lanoguard grease with your finger to the area the seal comes in contact with don’t worry about making a mess it wipes off
as you work your way around raise the roof another 6” which will help with access to the seal at the rear

it’s that simple
Just to be clear ,you are only pull away a section of seal at a time let’s say no more than a meter at a time.

hope that helps

And review this thread to decide if you want to apply the anti rust product. The procedure is still useful without it.

get some step ladders

it’s that simple
Very good of you, thanks

And review this thread to decide if you want to apply the anti rust product. The procedure is still useful without it.
I take it then that you wouldn’t apply the Lanoguard?

Anti rust product will simply delay the inevitable

edit = problem does Not exist until it exists ! Catch it before it’s a problem

Last edited:
Is it worth as a matter of course replacing the seal every few years anyway? Our ownership will be long term so thinking beyond warranty period here. I don’t want to interfere too much while warranty is valid in case they blame me for any rust issues and don’t rectify them.

I take it then that you wouldn’t apply the Lanoguard?
Definitely not if my van were under warranty. After that I'm not sure.

I would apply the tape to the front edge (something that's tried and tested)

I have a sneaky suspicion a simple impressed current system would work but really VW should be doing all this research.

Definitely not if my van were under warranty. After that I'm not sure.

I would apply the tape to the front edge (something that's tried and tested)

I have a sneaky suspicion a simple impressed current system would work but really VW should be doing all this research.
Why not if a warranty issue arises then buy a new seal wipe the lanoguard off fit the seal and head to the dealer.
dont wait for the issue to arise because then it will be to late

Why not if a warranty issue arises then buy a new seal wipe the lanoguard off fit the seal and head to the dealer.
dont wait for the issue to arise because then it will be to late
My thinking is that VW have probably tried all the cheap easy fixes they can think of. If it was as simple as Lanoguard I'm sure they'd have speced it.

I do have a warranty issue so I'm certainly not going to try it at this stage. Maybe once it's been on your roof for a year or two I'll be keener!

My thinking is that VW have probably tried all the cheap easy fixes they can think of. If it was as simple as Lanoguard I'm sure they'd have speced it.

I do have a warranty issue so I'm certainly not going to try it at this stage. Maybe once it's been on your roof for a year or two I'll be keener!
Lol I do get it they are expensive vehicles,but vw and every other manufacturer have failings,I no that from having a defender for 11 years my defender is a better vehicle now than when they first built it.

Is it worth as a matter of course replacing the seal every few years anyway? Our ownership will be long term so thinking beyond warranty period here. I don’t want to interfere too much while warranty is valid in case they blame me for any rust issues and don’t rectify them.
I think changing the seal every few years is not a bad options.

Blimey, Mines going for a DSG service tomorrow, its on the all in service plan so under warranty. I mentioned the seal showing the rusty spring and could they take a look for corrosion. Hearing the story I am tempted to just get a seal and apply generous, maybe two layers of tape to the roof edge.

get some step ladders

it’s that simple
I use one of these £39.98 2m telescopic ladders (they come with rubber non-slip feet, and the length is perfect) for access:

And I have added self adhesive soft pads at the top to protect where it leans against vehicle. This is more stable than step ladders and you can lean over better.

Mishandling of the seal will cause the steel reinforcement to break out - so care is required along with warmth.

The above procedure from @Defender90 is fine for general maintenance but scrutiny of the seal for break out of the steel reinforcement is also wise. If found, then seal replacement is obviously advisable.

To replace the seal requires the new one to be shaped. This is where.the problems can start - if the seal is not fitted and shaped with care and warmth.

However, it is all common sense and easily done really once you understand the aims.

Last edited:
Back