Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

UK weather

My only big escape this year has been to Brittany where it rained and rained :sad

I've had lots of little escapes this year, mostly UK ..... where its rained and rained :(

Now, Albert is packed, the chocks are away ..... 4 days before the wheels go through the tunnel then South, and I'm not stopping until I see that big yellow thing in the sky smiling down on me ...:D

Some great ideas already listed. Some campsites have drying rooms or laundry which could be useful. Parking heater helps gets those towels dry. We wear alot of outdoor clothing as we enjoy running & walking which dries quicker too.

^ This!

Best advice is head south my friend! Under the channel and keep going!

We spent the whole August in France, Switzerland, Austria. Fab weather, bone dry and 30's - means you live outside the van 99% of the time - literally just travelling or sleeping in it. Three days of inclement weather in the Swiss mountains bought back what a wet, confined miserable time it can be in a VW camper with two kids + two adults.

For me camping is a fair weather activity - mud, wet cold, nothing drying out - no thanks.

I agree that heading to continent is the best way to get better weather, but 95% of the time most of us are going away for the odd weekend or odd night where this is not practical especially for northerners.

I think this is an very honest and helpful question. It's not the type of image that makes it into the Cali brochure but all too common in the UK.

It's one of the reasons i like my van. Although it's tall, a longer and heavier, that brings separate bathroom / kitchen /lounge areas, so I can get away from the wet coats (which hang on a full height door to the bathroom) and dog. Having different zones really helps on wet days or just 'tense' days when folks just need a little space - and the rain prevents you escaping outdoors.

I also find a rain radar app helpful (shows history of actual rainfall at 15 mins intervals, enough to predict if the current downfall will soon clear) is a big help, because sometimes by waiting 15 mins, a soaking can be avoided.

Like most Cali owners, we spent years weighing up all the options and senerios before taking the plunge with our life savings. Having had the van for 6 months it has not disappointed apart from one consideration we completely overlooked - the continually unsettled and more often than not, UK wet weather.
Having not previously done much camping, dealing with wet clothes, stinking wet dogs in a confined space and waterlogged ground, is proving wearing.
As we both work full time, I spend all week constantly checking the weather apps for the weekend forecasts in the hope of a dry and possibly even sunny couple of days - generally speaking, living in the North of England it has just not happened.
I know what you are all saying - 'man up' and get out there! Is it me or does everyone just get soaked and carry on regardless?

When we first had the cali and thinking about all the adventures and travelling etc...
Our first trips were mostly rained off days and also got soaked and damp plus parked up by lovely looking motor homes and we thought what have we done here, cocooned in this van however lovely it is....

But believe me it just clicks after you have found your feet and you wont look back !!
The rain can get you down but you get used to living with it.

All the best.

I have to agree with peter @T4WFA .

It's easy to eulogise about the cali when the table and chairs are outside, the awning pegged out, the doors and windows wide open and pleasant things to drink chilling nicely in the fridge.

A cold, dark afternoon, van rocking in the wind, rain lashing down, everything smelling of damp.....

That's when I value a britstop, leave heater on and get out to the pub for the evening. Sometimes it is not possible, then evenings can get long and life a little miserable. I am on my own, not having to work around others and often not even with my dogs for company so can only imagine what it must be like in a crowded van..

Of course the next day may be the opposite, quite different, the spirits will lift and you will be asking yourself why did you wait so long before ordering a Cali.

The cali is a truly remarkable vehicle that for me has delivered far more than I could ever have expected but it is a compromise and sometimes that compromise can be uncomfortable.

Last edited:
May I thank the OP for this thread? Since it started the weather in the North-East has been positively mediterranean (sp?) :bananadance I know it won't carry on for ever and the lashing wind and rain will be back soonest but I'm enjoying it while it lasts (even if the temperature in my office peaked today at 35 degrees).

Cheers, Wind Witch

This might be a slightly controversial view, and may even be considered sacrilege on this forum, but in honesty, sometimes you have to ask....is it for you?

There's no shame in it if not.

From your description, we sound like we were similar to yourself. Not huge 'campers' prior to ownership. In fact we had plenty of years of hiring Motorhomes before owning our Cali, and making the decision to buy something so relatively small was a big one.

That said, it's worked for us. We've had some stinkers in terms of weather, but it's brought out something in the pair of us that we didn't realise was in us.

Certainly a BIG thing for us was investing in a decent Drive Away awning, with groundsheet, for longer trips. We've also tried to become a little bit more flexible and less regimented over where we go or stay. So if the weather is looking grim in one direction, try and aim in a different one.

But I think we both now know that we'll always have some sort of 'Mobile Home' (I know....another sacrilege). We just see it as that extension we've put on the house, but with the ability to be moved to different parts of the country, offering differing scenery :)

ps: Don't forget, Autumn is coming...possibly the best time of the year!

Good luck

We've also tried to become a little bit more flexible and less regimented over where we go or stay. So if the weather is looking grim in one direction, try and aim in a different one.

You make a very good point, LowMan. One of our reasons for deciding on a California (amongst many) was that it gave us freedom to de-camp and move towards better weather with much more flexibility than with our tent.

Best, Wind Witch

I work on the premise that although I own a California , and use it every day, that doesn't mean I have to stay/sleep in it come what may.
We've just got back from our last trip.
Drove to London via Oxford with 1 night in Oxford at the C& CC site. Parked up in Park Lane Underground Car Park. Got changed into glad rags in the California and took Black Cab to the Z Hotel in Soho where we were staying. Chinese Wedding Party in Chinatown. Next day N London to pick up youngest son and new wife and took them to Heathrow to catch their flight to Aussie land, as they have emigrated. Then drove to a lovely campsite near Taunton and a lovely pub restaurant and then on to the Watergate Bay Hotel in Cornwall for 3 nights and now home.
Prior to this trip we spent 4 weeks in Europe and spent 23 nights in the California and 4 in a hotel.
The weather can be variable but so is the California. It can take you wherever you want.

Like most Cali owners, we spent years weighing up all the options and senerios before taking the plunge with our life savings. Having had the van for 6 months it has not disappointed apart from one consideration we completely overlooked - the continually unsettled and more often than not, UK wet weather.
Having not previously done much camping, dealing with wet clothes, stinking wet dogs in a confined space and waterlogged ground, is proving wearing.
As we both work full time, I spend all week constantly checking the weather apps for the weekend forecasts in the hope of a dry and possibly even sunny couple of days - generally speaking, living in the North of England it has just not happened.
I know what you are all saying - 'man up' and get out there! Is it me or does everyone just get soaked and carry on regardless?
It's not mandatory to stay in the Cali, you can always park it up outside a Travelodge, inn or whatever if the weather is inclement, and enjoy a hot shower and proper bed (not sure about the dog though, some places will take them!).

Nothing better than camping next to a lake with a scenic view, waking up and having bacon and egg for breakfast in the sunshine.

Nothing worse than being stuck in a muddy field miles from the nearest pub. Why do it ... just 'cos we can? :D

Edit: Replied on previous page before I saw WG's post but basically the same sentiment :thumb

I took my 15 year old grand-daughter to Falmouth as she was doing a course there, we actually stayed in a backpackers hostel, albeit in a twin room not a dorm. Partly because of course you have to stow everything away before you move and she had to be there on time every day (takes me a while to get going in the morning) and partly just because I thought it would be fun, which it was, meeting people from other countries at close quarters.
But the beauty of having the Cali was that I could go into town or to one of the beaches and I had a base to retreat to, to make a cuppa or put my feet up and read if I wanted to.

This might be a slightly controversial view, and may even be considered sacrilege on this forum, but in honesty, sometimes you have to ask....is it for you?

There's no shame in it if not.

From your description, we sound like we were similar to yourself. Not huge 'campers' prior to ownership. In fact we had plenty of years of hiring Motorhomes before owning our Cali, and making the decision to buy something so relatively small was a big one.

That said, it's worked for us. We've had some stinkers in terms of weather, but it's brought out something in the pair of us that we didn't realise was in us.

Certainly a BIG thing for us was investing in a decent Drive Away awning, with groundsheet, for longer trips. We've also tried to become a little bit more flexible and less regimented over where we go or stay. So if the weather is looking grim in one direction, try and aim in a different one.

But I think we both now know that we'll always have some sort of 'Mobile Home' (I know....another sacrilege). We just see it as that extension we've put on the house, but with the ability to be moved to different parts of the country, offering differing scenery :)

ps: Don't forget, Autumn is coming...possibly the best time of the year!

Good luck
Thanks for your candid and helpful comments. Even after only 6 months ownership, the thought of not having the Cali parked on the drive raring to go is....well unthinkable. I am 100% confident we will find our own level - at the moment I am probably blinkered into thinking the only option is to sleep in the Cali whatever the circumstances.
Looking forward to our first Autumn season!

at the moment I am probably blinkered into thinking the only option is to sleep in the Cali whatever the circumstances.

I would be divorced overnight if I took that line!

First sight of anything that looks like more than 24hrs rain sees us making tracks towards the nearest city for a hotel stay, or in the opposite direction of the rain if possible. They're fantastic vehicles when the sun shines but two adults, two boys and a dog do not work when it's raining...

The great thing about Calis is that you can up-sticks in no time from your soggy campsite, be parked in an underground car park in a city centre a few hours later, and have lunch while you find a suitable hotel. We've had some great stays this way and used the Westy/Cali as a brilliant vehicle for city sightseeing.

Thanks for your candid and helpful comments. Even after only 6 months ownership, the thought of not having the Cali parked on the drive raring to go is....well unthinkable. I am 100% confident we will find our own level - at the moment I am probably blinkered into thinking the only option is to sleep in the Cali whatever the circumstances.
Looking forward to our first Autumn season!
I think with use comes the realisation that the Cali can actually take most of what the British weather can throw at it. I wouldn't say we are less precious with ours now but after our biggest trip away this summer to France and Switzerland encountering 35 degree heat and then huge downpours etc. we are now more confident in the Cali and ourselves to get out there whatever the weather. Enjoy.

Not sure if it has already been said but a hard standing pitch makes life quite a bit better in the wet.

Also I like sleeping in the Cali best when the weather outside is wet and windy.

Some of our most memorable nights away have been in horrendous weather. Hot chocolate with marshmallows and a flake, choice of games from the pull down cupboard in the roof, shadow games with your fingers, lots of stories about the family....magical. Have all had to cuddle up downstairs sometimes as 80 mile an hour winds meant the roof didn't go up. A plastic box under the van for the dirty Wellies. Thermal socks essential. Wet coats on the back of the seats, or roll up storm coats over thick fleeces.

Must agree with Granny Jen that Brittany had about 10 days of not great weather which was unusual , beauty of the Cali...we just upped sticks and headed south for 5 days till the sun came back.

Back