Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

UK weather

Vincent123

Vincent123

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Like most Cali owners, we spent years weighing up all the options and senerios before taking the plunge with our life savings. Having had the van for 6 months it has not disappointed apart from one consideration we completely overlooked - the continually unsettled and more often than not, UK wet weather.
Having not previously done much camping, dealing with wet clothes, stinking wet dogs in a confined space and waterlogged ground, is proving wearing.
As we both work full time, I spend all week constantly checking the weather apps for the weekend forecasts in the hope of a dry and possibly even sunny couple of days - generally speaking, living in the North of England it has just not happened.
I know what you are all saying - 'man up' and get out there! Is it me or does everyone just get soaked and carry on regardless?

Is it me or does everyone just get soaked and carry on regardless?

Hi Vincent123
Living up North I know what you mean about the inclement weather but what can you do? We are waiting for our new Cali to arrive so that we don't have to tent in the wet any more - you own an Ocean, which must mean the parking heater is included so get out there, get wet, and come back to your lovely warm Cali and dry off/steam gently while the kettle boils for a brew. Aaaah! Luxury (SO jealous):thumb
Cheers, Wind Witch

This weekend was my first staying in the van. I went to the club meet at Stratford on Avon and it poured! I got soaked walking the mile into town, soaked again walking round and yet again coming back. Once in the van, my clothes were saturated and I was so cold.
BUT once inside I hund my wet coat over the back of the drivers seat, put my shoes by the heating vent and turned on the diesel heater. Bliss!
30 minutes later and all was well. Coat and shoes dried,
Think with more than one person and/or wet dogs an awning would be a must but that heater is brill

There have ben several threads on the forum where those (presumably without dogs, or kids who like to get dirty, or camp in the Scottish north east in a predominantly damp wet and windy climate) like to scathe us who have awnings as they feel it is contrary to the VW Cali lifestyle.
I bought my Cali because I want to have a vehicle that I can manoeuvre on my own those winding Scottish roads on the way to an agility field competition. Which incidentally can be anytime from April to October in Scotland, so I need to be prepared for all weather and so cooking outside all the time was not an option. Muddy dogs inside was also not an option. What is left? Yep, for me it meant an Ocean with Vango Kela Awning and a Cobb for cooking outside when I can, also a dog /wind break for agility comps. I'm happy. The dogs are super happy. Our choice. Not everyone's cup of tea.

Never thought of myself as a wimpy type but a Vango Kela III inflatable drive away awning is definitely on my shopping list. As a matter of interest does the attaching of such an awning interfere with the fixing of the Cali-Topper?

image.jpeg image.jpeg If we stay more than two nights we put up an awning. Vango Sapera 2 when we have guests and a Vango Idris 2 when we're on our own. We got the Idris rather than the Kela mainly because it's groundsheet is detachable, and you can put a breathable one down depending on site requirements. If your on your own you can put it up alone. Both awnings are heavy (Sapera especially) and take quite a lot of room when packed. On our first time with the Idris we had the pleasure of erecting it in 20mph winds (this can't be done alone) and on the first night we learnt all about the storm strap system as it gusted at 55mph. I've attached two pics, one on each for all those people that have yet to decide on what to get. We just got the Comfortz curtain awning for one night stands and hope to try it this weekend for the first time.

Get a drive-away tent/awning, where you can hang the moist or wet clothes, so you dont have to bring all into the cali …
I did the awning thing... But found that packing it away all wet and muddy was more depressing than the weather, so i sold the awning and that bought me three ferry trips to France where the weather was better and I could hang my clothes out in the warm sun. :)

Just spent 5 nights on the Black Isle, far north of Scotland - gorgeous sunny weather throughout! (Never been to this part of Scotland before - it's just lovely - great beaches for us dog owners :)

Calicasas makes a good point. Worth checking met office website as you lead up to departure date and take awning down accordingly.

View attachment 16140 View attachment 16139 If we stay more than two nights we put up an awning. Vango Sapera 2 when we have guests and a Vango Idris 2 when we're on our own. We got the Idris rather than the Kela mainly because it's groundsheet is detachable, and you can put a breathable one down depending on site requirements. If your on your own you can put it up alone. Both awnings are heavy (Sapera especially) and take quite a lot of room when packed. On our first time with the Idris we had the pleasure of erecting it in 20mph winds (this can't be done alone) and on the first night we learnt all about the storm strap system as it gusted at 55mph. I've attached two pics, one on each for all those people that have yet to decide on what to get. We just got the Comfortz curtain awning for one night stands and hope to try it this weekend for the first time.
We have a Comfortz awning privacy porch and it has massively improved the whole experience - still a miserable job taking it down and putting it away in the pouring rain. It appears we still have some way to go before we fully embrace the Cali scene.

We picked our Cali up almost a year ago, just after the Indian Summer ended and the monsoon started.
I spent a very wet week in November up in Snowdonia. As other owners have posted above, you come back to the Cali after a day in the rain, turn the heater on and within ½ an hour you are toasty warm and dried out.
I spent a similar week up there in December.
In January the weather was a little kinder, it only rained ½ the week.
In Feb it was dry but the temp dropped to -3C for some parts of the week, but I'm not concerned now. I know the Cali can cope with most things the weather can throw at it.
Remember the adverts from the outdoor shops, "There is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothing". Just jump into your Cali and go out and explore and enjoy the freedom it gives you.

Last edited:
We had a bongo with an awning which we attached,it was such a long process putting it up & down.
We love our Quechua base seconds pop up tent ,so quick to put up & down,can step in & out of the Cali because the overhanging lip on the outside. Breathable groundsheet . We have used it successfully in strong winds & driving rain. So good to have a place to store things. The dogs love it. Also very easy to drive off for the day.
We also watch the weather . Have last 2 weeks of September as holiday. Will either head to Scotland ( 1st choice) or France depending on weather forecast nearer the time.
image.jpeg image.jpeg

Just spent 5 nights on the Black Isle, far north of Scotland - gorgeous sunny weather throughout! (Never been to this part of Scotland before - it's just lovely - great beaches for us dog owners :)

Where did you stay ? Thanks

Coping with the weather is definitely harder if you have young kids or dogs as getting them to stay in such a confined space can be tricky, and stopping them from dragging the wet outside world in to that space is equally tricky!

And a zip up dog towel that dries, warms and imobilises wet dog in the awning..

Tried that. Like trying to put a saddle on a mustang. Just ended up with a squirming, rolling spaniel-bomb that knocked everything over. I'd told Mrs VD that would happen before the Amazon purchase but apparently I was being negative.

Tried that. Like trying to put a saddle on a mustang. Just ended up with a squirming, rolling spaniel-bomb that knocked everything over. I'd told Mrs VD that would happen before the Amazon purchase but apparently I was being negative.

Keyword: "Spaniel" :D

Coping with the weather is definitely harder if you have young kids or dogs as getting them to stay in such a confined space can be tricky, and stopping them from dragging the wet outside world in to that space is equally tricky!

^ This!

Best advice is head south my friend! Under the channel and keep going!

We spent the whole August in France, Switzerland, Austria. Fab weather, bone dry and 30's - means you live outside the van 99% of the time - literally just travelling or sleeping in it. Three days of inclement weather in the Swiss mountains bought back what a wet, confined miserable time it can be in a VW camper with two kids + two adults.

For me camping is a fair weather activity - mud, wet cold, nothing drying out - no thanks.

Agree with that.....been here in Portugal for last 4 weeks...blue sky every day and hot....relaxed cheap living....

Having had our Cali since May we've used it loads and somehow managed to avoid miserable weather! We spent 2 weeks in France during July when apparently Scotland was very wet, and the rest of the time here it's been quite sunny!

In fact the only heavy rain I can remember was the very first night we got it and slept on the drive!

Where did you stay ? Thanks
Hi Calimera - we stayed at the Camping and Caravanning Club site at Rosemarkie. The sandy beach was immediately in front of our pitch. There are photos on the C&CC website that are pretty accurate. Lovely little villiage - the Fairy Glen walk is particularly recommended :). Fortrose and Cromarty are very pretty. We'll definitely be back!

Ian

^ This!

Best advice is head south my friend! Under the channel and keep going!

We spent the whole August in France, Switzerland, Austria. Fab weather, bone dry and 30's - means you live outside the van 99% of the time - literally just travelling or sleeping in it. Three days of inclement weather in the Swiss mountains bought back what a wet, confined miserable time it can be in a VW camper with two kids + two adults.

For me camping is a fair weather activity - mud, wet cold, nothing drying out - no thanks.
100% with you...

Back