Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Questions questions!

John.s

John.s

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi all, we have recently splashed out and bought ourselves a lovely Cali it is 6 years old but looks like new, it came with most of the things on our wish list but has no sat nav/ multimedia system.
Q1 is the Kenwood dnx525 the real deal and worth the cash?
Q2 if so do I go to VW to get it fitted? Or someone else?
Q3 while the work Is being done do I go for the rear camera at the same time?
Q4 last one for now, van covers what would people recommend ?
We would appreciate any advice/ help.

Hi John, and firstly, welcome!

Sound systems do not mean much to me when I am driving so I cannot rave about Q1. The navigation qualities would not induce me to spend anymore money than on a garmin nuvi and I would not want great sound when parked up as it runs off the starter battery and that is to be conserved at all costs!

q3 ... I have a rear camera and hardly use it, others swear by it. It depends how badly you want one but the rear proximity sensors are brilliant and take much of the need for a camera away, well it does for me anyway.

q4 ... do you mean a topper, to go over the roof when it's raised? I'm sure you will get plenty of advice on that one. If you mean to cover it when parked up doing nothing .... no experience, but then mine is never standing still for long.

Good luck, sounds exciting days for you :D

Welcome ,
Only sure thing i can give you is that the original VW sat-nav on T5's is worthless so anything is better .
Think the Kenwood is popular .
I got the VW RNS radio sat-nav option of close to 2000euro back then , and i now use a 200euro Tom-Tom ....way better stuff;)

The thinking behind the cover was to protect the van from the elements and people while parked up so was after something quick and easy to remove and put on!

Welcome and I look forward to some pics of your new owned Cali!

q4 I just bought a Cali Cover for the winter (mine is parked in a garage, with other cars, and the door is going to open daily more than once so I wanted something to cover against dirt, salt...) from:
kfz-schutzdecken.de (€149.90)

However I thought there was kind of a cover in the Club Shop @Martin am I wrong?

Thanks Sapto I'll look in the club shop. Some say they have 3 layers and others 4 but price varies greatly is the old adage 'you get what you pay for' right!

Hi John & welcome.

Re Q1, we can't fully comment as we don't own one, but we did have a good look at last years Motorhome & Camping show. We were very tempted as it looks and sounds excellent. We struggled to justify the expense at present though. We realised we'd only use it for the satnav and 6Music, so have stood with our Garmin and iPod for the moment.

Good luck and let us know how you fair if you take the plunge :thumb

Hi.. I have a kenwood sat- nav and dab radio. It also has reversing camera which is handy, though I'm sure reversing sensors would be fine. Never felt the need for a cover if you can give it a good wax and polish couple times a year.

We do not have the navi either, but has become very very happy about our iPad Mini, for music, voice-books, navi, search for campings, restaurants, etc. It really does the job. And the best part, is you can bring it with you, when you i.e. discover a new city.

We have a 4G phonecard in it, with a cheep roaming deal for Europe.

I originally wanted to retrofit the navi in our new T6, but now im quite settled to save the money.

Hello
Q1/2 We have the Kenwood system which was fitted at our home by Auto solutions http://www.autosolutions-ltd.co.uk/contact.php I don't think they cover the southwest but I am sure there are others that offer a similar service. These guys were actually recommended by the local VW service centre as they don't seem to touch after fit solutions. It cost us £995 + £295 for the camera. So if interested ask your local van centre.
The Kenwood is fully integrated and works well as Navigation with traffic, DAB radio, Ipod and DVD should you desire.
My preference was for an integrated system but understand some people prefer a mobile gps device which can be moved from vehicle to vehicle. Personal choice. I have not regretted it.
Q3 We were sold the camera at the time of the fit. I am disappointed with the quality. The image is dimmer than other rear cameras and it is somewhat erratic on auto selecting rear view camera when engaging reverse! Sensors still work with the camera.
Q4 We have a VW van cover which was sold as 'breathable'. Use it every winter without problems. Would recommend if storing for a few months.
Hope this is helpful.

Thanks one and all for your replies, given us lots to consider before spending our hard earned readies. We will let you know how we get on in due course.