Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Awning blown off

Hi Boris, thanks for the extensive post. I have seen one in situ and get what it does, but have only ever seen it with the wind out awning perfectly straight, with the rail parallel to the ground. I was just wondering what effect dropping a corner has on the structure ot the awning room. It must sag at that corner.

I also drop one corner of my awning if rain's likely. But with a driveaway awning attached with the windout wound out, or a tarp, it's easy to compensate.
Well the simple answer is it looks wonky but it does give peace of mind. So if rain is forecast whilst you are going to be either out or asleep over night you must do it. The thing you have to do once you've dropped a corner is to retighten the hold down straps as they will be loose.

Well the simple answer is it looks wonky but it does give peace of mind. So if rain is forecast whilst you are going to be either out or asleep over night you must do it. The thing you have to do once you've dropped a corner is to retighten the hold down straps as they will be loose.
Boris, my straps are never slack (ooh er, Mrs). It drives me mad to see loose guylines/straps and flappy bits of tentage or awning. When we first go for a walk round at a festival I turn into the female equivalet of Victor Meldrew.

Boris, my straps are never slack (ooh er, Mrs). It drives me mad to see loose guylines/straps and flappy bits of tentage or awning. When we first go for a walk round at a festival I turn into the female equivalet of Victor Meldrew.
Well I can see why a slack wonky awning room would offend you. It doesn't look pretty. I will certainly smarten up my "tentage" act if I know you'll be around to inspect. :thumb

However rather that than the scene that greeted me one sunny morn several years ago. It had rained heavily during the night and whilst it had crossed my mind to check the awning room, to be frank, it was so warm and cosy in bed that I really couldn't be @r$€d. Anyway when I finally slid open the door in the morning I discovered a bow legged awning straining under the weight of about 50,000 gallons of water. The wind out awning canvas was sagging so low under the weight that I had to stoop down almost to my hands and knees to get out. How it took the strain I shall never know. Anxious to relieve the weight on the structure I gingerly lifted the catch on one of the awning legs and.........................less than a nano second later the leg telescoped and the entire freezing cold contents hit me full on tsunami style. I must say that the experience was very invigorating!!!!!! If Mrs B had followed up by giving me a damn good thrashing with a birch switch it would have completed the whole Scandinavian bathing thing nicely.

So the moral is drop one leg if before going to bed.

Sorry I meant the clamps - just wanted to see if anyone had them cheaper than Campervantastic...
Phone the Forum Shop. They can get most things to order.

Well I can see why a slack wonky awning room would offend you. It doesn't look pretty. I will certainly smarten up my "tentage" act if I know you'll be around to inspect. :thumb

However rather that than the scene that greeted me one sunny morn several years ago. It had rained heavily during the night and whilst it had crossed my mind to check the awning room, to be frank, it was so warm and cosy in bed that I really couldn't be @r$€d. Anyway when I finally slid open the door in the morning I discovered a bow legged awning straining under the weight of about 50,000 gallons of water. The wind out awning canvas was sagging so low under the weight that I had to stoop down almost to my hands and knees to get out. How it took the strain I shall never know. Anxious to relieve the weight on the structure I gingerly lifted the catch on one of the awning legs and.........................less than a nano second later the leg telescoped and the entire freezing cold contents hit me full on tsunami style. I must say that the experience was very invigorating!!!!!! If Mrs B had followed up by giving me a damn good thrashing with a birch switch it would have completed the whole Scandinavian bathing thing nicely.

So the moral is drop one leg if before going to bed.
I had a slightly different awakening in a similar situation. I heard a loud "Stumpf". I opened the side window "upstairs" where i was sleeping and looked at the broken awning. One of the arms had snapped in two. I closed the window again and went back to sleep. No much i could do in the middle of the night and my cursing trying to assess exactly the damage would have woken up a lot of fellow campers.

Ordered a fitting kit from Campervanbits - they were really helpful and the kit arrived quickly so thanks to them.

The kit had the clamps, fixings and rubber rain gutter all included so if it happens to you give them a bell!

Back