Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Awning blown off

Just a final update on my awning accident. The good news is that the roof after all , wasn't bent. As one of you had suggested , it was the bent awning bracket that was distorting the roof, and consequently the bracket to which the top up release clip was attached , was also being distorted. Removing the awning brackets has sorted everything and the roof is fine.Thank you all for your very helpful comments and advice.
Ive decided not to replace the awning. Im going to look at at purchasing a drive away awning instead.
I still have the damaged awning and bent brackets. One of the awning legs is twisted . I wondered if it would be of any value to someone and wondered if I should put it on eBay .I suppose someone might be interested and particularly someone with mechanical know how ??
Im now looking at possible drive away awnings and wondered if anyone had any experience /advice on these ?
Glad to hear the worst case scenario didn’t happen and the roof is OK
I wouldn’t write off the idea of the awning for good, get some use out of the van to establish how you use it, that will help with the thought process

I still have the damaged awning and bent brackets. One of the awning legs is twisted . I wondered if it would be of any value to someone and wondered if I should put it on eBay .I suppose someone might be interested and particularly someone with mechanical know how ??
My awning canopy has two nice neat rows of evenly spaced holes after my son threw sharp stones onto the canopy and I wound it in oblivious to their presence. I might be interested in buying your awning for the canopy.

My awning canopy has two nice neat rows of evenly spaced holes after my son threw sharp stones onto the canopy and I wound it in oblivious to their presence. I might be interested in buying your awning for the canopy.
Perfect solution, at least not going to waste.

Ok, what part of the country do you live in? I live in Cumbria

Sounds like a road trip coming on Amarillo ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it were me, I'd repair and refit it with new brackets. All the parts are available. I think the club shop sells them. I'm sure he won't mind me saying, Flying Banana recently had an unfortunate accident involving some beer and an awning leg. I believe the shop supplied a new leg........ for the awning that is!

I'm sure it's been a shock that's left you with negative thoughts about the awning but they really are a very useful feature of the California. Even if you never use it, a California isn't really a cali without one.

P.s We have a drive away awning but we never ever connect it. It' far too much of a faff.

If it were me, I'd repair and refit it with new brackets. All the parts are available. I think the club shop sells them. I'm sure he won't mind me saying, Flying Banana recently had an unfortunate accident involving some beer and an awning leg. I believe the shop supplied a new leg........ for the awning that is!

I'm sure it's been a shock that's left you with negative thoughts about the awning but they really are a very useful feature of the California. Even if you never use it, a California isn't really a cali without one.

P.s We have a drive away awning but we never ever connect it. It' far too much of a faff.
Having had the same experience with a broken awning, I had to replace the right arm and the right awning bracket. But I have to agree with Borris, the awning is useful. We have been both very unlucky and had a painful experience, morally for the stress involved and the disappointment as well as economically.
It wouldn‘t be fair to ourselves that we just give up having the convenience of the awning because of this random event. Surely we will be a lot more conservative in assessing if the weather allows for using the awning or not.

Ok thanks all,
I very much hear what you say and will have a further think about it . I do appreciate your advice. I'm not at all mechanically minded and certainly wouldn't be able to fix it myself. However, I'll see if there s anyone in my local area who can repair it

Even if you never use it, a California isn't really a cali without one.
OMG, and all this time I thought mine
was a Cali! But seriously, just google “stealth van.” The bike rack comes off
by loosening two (2) Allen screws.

Last edited:
The awning comes into its own when it's hot as it gives you somewhere to sit in the shade and out of the sun. I'd think long and hard before parting with it.

We managed without a wind-out awning for the first four years, but then got one fitted, and found it so much better.

My awning was blown off in the night on Friday, the brackets have sheared off though and I was wondering where is the best place to get new ones? Seen them in campervantastic for £145 does that sound ok?

My awning was blown off in the night on Friday, the brackets have sheared off though and I was wondering where is the best place to get new ones? Seen them in campervantastic for £145 does that sound ok?
Ouch...

Seems a lot just for 2 brackets but i think that is about the going rate for them.

How did it happen?

I just came back from the pub and the awning was on the floor :(

Had intended to wind it in for the night...

So it was pegged down and the wind un-pegged it,
started flapping up and down till the brackets snapped?
hope the van escaped injury.

How unfortunate.

The wind out canopy either needs straps anchoring it to the ground or a well pegged down driveaway awning attached. Even then, if the wind is very strong it needs to be detached from any driveaway awning and wound it. I've done this more than once at silly o'clock in the morning... and in the lashing rain.

@cooky73 , try the clubshop/campervanbits for new brackets if not VW ?
And get yourself a Thule tie down kit , could have helped....

Don't be too hasty to ditch the Comfortz awning room, it can be very useful. You've had a nasty incident but don't let it put you off.

These awnings are very useful and the Comfortz awning room is a brilliant accessory. I like others, have had the odd incident, like the occasion I had forgotten to lower one leg when rain was forecast. The overnight rain storm filled up the awning until it very nearly buckled. On another occasion I experienced the same issue as your's but in my case I was able to hang onto it, stopping it from taking off.

The awning is like a large sail so needs to be tied down on ALL occasions. Even the slightest breeze can make it frisky and any sudden gust can, well you know the rest. The shop sells these kits. You just need to be mindful of the weather when you use it and always take the necessary precautions. IMO they should never be left out when the weather's iffy and if you aren't with the vehicle. Also if medium or high winds are forecast then bring it in. If it's going to rain then drop one corner so as not to allow the water to collect on the awning.

As for the awning room, it is a very useful bit of kit especially for touring. It can be put up and down quickly and provides a good porch, wash area, somewhere to cook, eat and keep your wet clothes in.

So don't be put off, KBO as Winston use to say.
I can see that the awning room would be a fairly neat Idea. But what’s it like Boris if it rains and you drop an awning corner to allow for run off? I’ve never fancied one myself (probably the only bit of kid I dismissed from the off), but am curious.

Don't be too hasty to ditch the Comfortz awning room, it can be very useful. You've had a nasty incident but don't let it put you off.

These awnings are very useful and the Comfortz awning room is a brilliant accessory. I like others, have had the odd incident, like the occasion I had forgotten to lower one leg when rain was forecast. The overnight rain storm filled up the awning until it very nearly buckled. On another occasion I experienced the same issue as your's but in my case I was able to hang onto it, stopping it from taking off.

The awning is like a large sail so needs to be tied down on ALL occasions. Even the slightest breeze can make it frisky and any sudden gust can, well you know the rest. The shop sells these kits. You just need to be mindful of the weather when you use it and always take the necessary precautions. IMO they should never be left out when the weather's iffy and if you aren't with the vehicle. Also if medium or high winds are forecast then bring it in. If it's going to rain then drop one corner so as not to allow the water to collect on the awning.

As for the awning room, it is a very useful bit of kit especially for touring. It can be put up and down quickly and provides a good porch, wash area, somewhere to cook, eat and keep your wet clothes in.

So don't be put off, KBO as Winston use to say.
Another +1 for the Comfortz awning room

I can see that the awning room would be a fairly neat Idea. But what’s it like Boris if it rains and you drop an awning corner to allow for run off? I’ve never fancied one myself (probably the only bit of kid I dismissed from the off), but am curious.

Hi Elly,
The Comfortz awning room is very well made and is quick and easy to fit. It takes up very little space when packed away. It makes a very useful porch/awning room. You can cook in it, eat in it, relax in it, store wet stuff in it, wash in it and even enjoy fine dining in it.

If you haven't already seen it, here's the Comfortz Awning video starring Nick and Kev.

As you can see, the awning room consists of three panels. All three deployed together form the awning room. Any one of these three panels can be used on there own to form a wind break.

However, there are some things to bear in mind:
1. The awning must always be securely fixed down. The level of security fixings depends on the weather forecast. If very strong winds are likely then best not to use. Otherwise use one of the strong securing kits to nail it down. The shop sell them.
2. If you don't drop one corner when rain is due then the awning will act as a very effective rainwater collection facility. It's so effective that it will eventually collapse the awning possibly damaging it in the process. Dropping one corner ensures that the water can't build up.

You can even do this:
20200706_213509.jpg
It's best to ask the other Cali owner before trying this configuration. Actually, Comfortz made me a kit to enable two Comfortz awning rooms to be joined together. The kit seals the gap between the two. We did this with friends in order to create a large space for a grand repast. Bunting not included.

Last edited:
How unfortunate.

The wind out canopy either needs straps anchoring it to the ground or a well pegged down driveaway awning attached. Even then, if the wind is very strong it needs to be detached from any driveaway awning and wound it. I've done this more than once at silly o'clock in the morning... and in the lashing ra
Hi Elly,
The Comfortz awning room is very well made and is quick and easy to fit. It takes up very little space when packed away. It makes a very useful porch/awning room. You can cook in it, eat in it, relax in it, store wet stuff in it, wash in it and even enjoy fine dining in it.

If you haven't already seen it, here's the Comfortz Awning video starring Nick and Kev.

As you can see, the awning room consists of three panels. All three deployed together form the awning room. Any one of these three panels can be used on there own to form a wind break.

However, there are some things to bear in mind:
1. The awning must always be securely fixed down. The level of security fixings depends on the weather forecast. If very strong winds are likely then best not to use. Otherwise use one of the strong securing kits to nail it down. The shop sell them.
2. If you don't drop one corner when rain is due then the awning will act as a very effective rainwater collection facility. It's so effective that it will eventually collapse the awning possibly damaging it in the process. Dropping one corner ensures that the water can't build up.

You can even do this:
View attachment 62366
It's best to ask the other Cali owner before trying this configuration. Actually, Comfortz made me a kit to enable two Comfortz awning rooms to be joined together. The kit seals the gap between the two. We did this with friends in order to create a large space for a grand repast. Bunting not included.
Hi Boris, thanks for the extensive post. I have seen one in situ and get what it does, but have only ever seen it with the wind out awning perfectly straight, with the rail parallel to the ground. I was just wondering what effect dropping a corner has on the structure ot the awning room. It must sag at that corner.

I also drop one corner of my awning if rain's likely. But with a driveaway awning attached with the windout wound out, or a tarp, it's easy to compensate.

Back