Best VW California Dedicated Forum by Miles :)
  1. Next Club Meets

Dorset Meet - 28th Sep - More Details Here
    Shop Open Day/Camping - 10th Nov - More Details Here
    Dismiss Notice

Outside lighting

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Quentin SF, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Quentin SF

Quentin SF

Vehicle:
    Looking to buy
    One thing I think could be an improvement, on the Cali that we're renting, is a bit more outdoor lighting. I'm thinking in particular of outside the sliding door/under the awning, and under the tailgate.

Are there any options that provide this? Or anyone got any recommendations/solutions? There's always the trusty old head-torch, I know, but...

2. Amarillo

Amarillo Tom Top Poster VIP Member

Vehicle:
    T6 Beach 150
    Year:
    I run a cable from the 12 volt socket in the boot, behind the trim to the tailgate hinge. It has a switch velcroed onto the awning end cap. When we put out the awning I attach LEDs to it.

Sometime later in the year I plan to refine my arrangement with hard wired 12 volt cables and permanently fixed LEDs.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

• I Like That! I Like That! x 1
  3. hotel california

hotel california 18 'till i die.... Moderator Top Poster VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 140
    Year:
    There are may that put up fairylights under the wind out awning .
    I don't bother , i go asleep with the birds once dark ....

• I Agree I Agree x 1
  4. mccp

mccp VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
    Year:
    I don't know what you're renting, but the latest version of the Ocean (MY18) has a pretty good light in the tailgate.

• I Agree I Agree x 1
  5. Verity

Verity

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 150
    Year:
    We've got a brilliant battery operated light made by Energizer I think which sticks to the outside of the van with magnets. It's brilliant for a quick light if you arrive somewhere in the dark and are setting up, though it's a bit full on for sitting outside with a glass of wine, when we happily resort to our gas lamp or fairy lights. Or both!

6. johnyboy

johnyboy VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 180
    Year:
  7. MattBW

MattBW Here to help Moderator VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T5 Beach
    Year:
    I have a Fiamma Awning rail with LED lighting, its very effective and very bright. I do however have a fiamma awning and not the Omnistor one. It is good and does help with the awning not sinking when raining but it is large.

The biggest challenge is simply where to route the wires, I trap them in the driver door seal and plug them into the leisure 12v socket on top of the dash. Keeps it nice and tidy.

8. Quentin SF

Quentin SF

Vehicle:
    Looking to buy
    Ha ! Thanks all -

I was cleaning the Cali we'd rented, before returning it, and noticed a little black button in the boot that I hadn't seen before. I wonder what this does?... ah!

I think we had enough stuff in the back to have covered it up before. So, yes, tailgate is OK. Thanks for the awning suggestions, though,