Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Awning panels again!

Hi Gillian - sorry it took me so long to get back to you. We got back from a trip Saturday night, washed the van today and I remembered I was going to measure the panels. As mentioned before the width was just the fabric width, the length is 182cm, which seemed right with the 6 inch ball bungees.

The van is now as shiny as a new pin, and I can't wait to get back out in him again!

Thanks so much @Verity Making some colourful panels is my next project.
Likewise van is washed after this weekend excursion to Chichester but still need to clean the inside which is in a terrible muddy state despite my best efforts.

Thanks so much @Verity Making some colourful panels is my next project.
Likewise van is washed after this weekend excursion to Chichester but still need to clean the inside which is in a terrible muddy state despite my best efforts.
Cotton rugs. We were camped in a fairly mushy field (Cobnor, near Chidham) but the cotton rugs keep all the mud away from the actual van and can go in the washing machine when we get home if they're really bad. Try 'muc off' bike cleaner for ingrained dirt in the plastic sills - it works a treat :)

View attachment 25873 View attachment 25874
Hi we have gone with the Thule side panels and are in the process of attaching them. Forgive us for being dippy, but are the side arm attachment points just the screw heads as in the photo. We have looked through all the bits and pieces supplied but that seems to be the only solution! Thanks in advance Sarah
Hi Sarah,
Did you ever get an answer to this? I'm in the same situation now - "the side arm attachment points just the screw(bolt) head as in the photo". A similar bolt head is already present for attaching the side panel to the rear, its on the bracket holding the rear extending arm. Many thanks, Mike

Hi Mike and Sarah, the Thule side panel pole just goes over one of the two exposed bolt heads on the vehicle side, and into the cups that you have to drill to fix on the side away from the Cali.

It looks frail, but once you have attached the pole then tighten the awning a bit until the pole is well locked into position, and it will withstand strong winds.

But the Thule instructions are so poor for Cali owners, you would have thought they would have sorted this and made a dedicated kit for Calis, without all the wasteful parts that you end up chucking away.

Hope this helps.

We have the safari room from the club for when we take our bikes and 'sit' on the site. Needed a driveaway this year and got the vango cairns driveaway from Go Outdoors. Worked well and loved sitting it looking out with the fly net zipped up.

Hi Mike and Sarah, the Thule side panel pole just goes over one of the two exposed bolt heads on the vehicle side, and into the cups that you have to drill to fix on the side away from the Cali.

It looks frail, but once you have attached the pole then tighten the awning a bit until the pole is well locked into position, and it will withstand strong winds.

But the Thule instructions are so poor for Cali owners, you would have thought they would have sorted this and made a dedicated kit for Calis, without all the wasteful parts that you end up chucking away.

Hope this helps.
Thanks Andrew,
Reassuring that I’m not missing something. The Thule side panels are really good quality. We also bought a Thule G2 sun blocker (front 2.4m) and this works a treat with just one side panel.
Many thanks

Back