Awning panels again!

PudnBob

PudnBob

No more waiting….let the adventures begin
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Apologies in advance to everyone who is groaning"not awnings again" and thanks to everyone who has posted and uploaded pictures about awning panels. I think I must have read all of them and I am now back at square one! All have pros and cons and each person is pleased with the choices they have made!! We will have a MIL 's needs to consider (amazing for 86 but feels the draughts and wants the views) and with this in mind the Fiamma "room" seems to tick the boxes. However we will have the factory fitted awning which I believe is a Thule. Am I right in understanding there is a conversion kit and does this come from Fiamma? If you have the privacy room, have managed to get it to fix(even if it's your own solution) I would be very grateful for all suggestions and pictures. Many thanks

We have the Thule awning panels but just the side ones. They have large viewing windows and have stood up to substantial wind and rain on a Devon clifftop this week! Super quality product. Easy to put up and take down. You can get front panels too if you want to close yourself in completely. I think you will always get drafts though as they don't sit completely flush with the van. However, I didn't want them to sit flush and rub against the paintwork. You also get drafts from under the van too. Have you thought about a driveaway awning?

Depending on the age of your van you could have either make fitted - up to about 2012 I think it was Fiamma after that its thule/omnistore

We have the factory fitted Thule/omnistore awning & bought a Fiamma room to fit it having read that there was a set of specific adaptors available to make it fit.
Those adapters are no longer available & nothing that is available thats sold as the correct adapter fits. I bought about 6 or 7 sets of bits that were supposed to make it fit then gave up trying.

In the end I sold it & bought the omnistore room that fits perfectly.

Where in the Uk are you? do you want to try it.

On the full privacy room kit, there are foam seals between the edge of the side panel & the van, when used with the vertical props that come as part of the kit there is nothing to flap or rub. Also need to use a fiamma skirt on the lower part of the van to seal off the gap underneath.

Depending on the age of your van you could have either make fitted - up to about 2012 I think it was Fiamma after that its thule/omnistore

We have the factory fitted Thule/omnistore awning & bought a Fiamma room to fit it having read that there was a set of specific adaptors available to make it fit.
Those adapters are no longer available & nothing that is available thats sold as the correct adapter fits. I bought about 6 or 7 sets of bits that were supposed to make it fit then gave up trying.

In the end I sold it & bought the omnistore room that fits perfectly.

Where in the Uk are you? do you want to try it.
Thanks for the reply, it's new (2017) and coming next week! We are in Dorset and will be out in it ASAP. I think that we may just have to bite the bullet and go with the Thule ones. We are pretty good at doing "Heath Robinsion" solutions but didn't want to be spending on items which in the end wouldnt do the job. Thank you again

We have the Thule awning panels but just the side ones. They have large viewing windows and have stood up to substantial wind and rain on a Devon clifftop this week! Super quality product. Easy to put up and take down. You can get front panels too if you want to close yourself in completely. I think you will always get drafts though as they don't sit completely flush with the van. However, I didn't want them to sit flush and rub against the paintwork. You also get drafts from under the van too. Have you thought about a driveaway awning?

Sorry pressed post by accident.
Thanks for your reply, I do remember the under the van draughts....and the cat which came in one night and scared the heebes out of me too.
The Thule option seems to be a good one, the size and large viewing windows are important and thanks for the recommendation regarding the quality with regards to Devonian winds! We know them well.Like you I don't want paintwork damaged. Drive away is a thought if we think we will be spending more than two nights in any location.Is there an option or do you think you could adapt the windows to put a curtain up for privacy at night? Thanks again

The omnistore privacy room we have came with curtains as standard.

If the primary use is for your mother in law to sit outside out of a draught and looking at the view, can I recommend the driveaway awning we bought? It is a Sunncamp Silhouette 225 Air Plus. It has good openings front and back, and big side window to look out of if it's blowing a hoolie. It attaches easily to the van, but stands alone quite well too. Not a particularly cheap option (£385), but it serves the purpose we bought it for and on the occasions we have used it we have been very impressed. Our son slept in it last week (don't tell the CMC wardens!).

https://www.norwichcamping.co.uk/shop/product/sunncamp-silhouette-motor-air-225-plus-2017-5372/

When it's hot and sunny and I just want a sunshade (this actually happened a few times this summer, praise be!), I made a panel from some cheap fabric from Ikea, attaching a strip to the top to slide into the awning rail and holes and ball/elastics to peg it at the bottom. If we need the shade on the side rather than the front, I put holes for ball/elastics to attach it to the side arm of the awning. Hope that makes sense!

If the primary use is for your mother in law to sit outside out of a draught and looking at the view, can I recommend the driveaway awning we bought? It is a Sunncamp Silhouette 225 Air Plus. It has good openings front and back, and big side window to look out of if it's blowing a hoolie. It attaches easily to the van, but stands alone quite well too. Not a particularly cheap option (£385), but it serves the purpose we bought it for and on the occasions we have used it we have been very impressed. Our son slept in it last week (don't tell the CMC wardens!).

https://www.norwichcamping.co.uk/shop/product/sunncamp-silhouette-motor-air-225-plus-2017-5372/

When it's hot and sunny and I just want a sunshade (this actually happened a few times this summer, praise be!), I made a panel from some cheap fabric from Ikea, attaching a strip to the top to slide into the awning rail and holes and ball/elastics to peg it at the bottom. If we need the shade on the side rather than the front, I put holes for ball/elastics to attach it to the side arm of the awning. Hope that makes sense!
Thanks for taking the time to post, another idea to consider cheers

Thanks for taking the time to post, another idea to consider cheers
At last I downloaded the pics of the awning side I made. I think I may make another similar one out of PVC tablecloth material so I can leave it out on damp Autumn/Spring nights and not worry about the dew/rain. It was awesome - cuts out wind better than the windbreak (which blew over) and gives sun protection (I am freckly). Easily fits front or sides. I'm chuffed as normally my homemade items end up in the bin!Fotheringhay Aug 2017 013.jpg Fotheringhay Aug 2017 014.jpg Fotheringhay Aug 2017 013.jpg Fotheringhay Aug 2017 013.jpg

At last I downloaded the pics of the awning side I made. I think I may make another similar one out of PVC tablecloth material so I can leave it out on damp Autumn/Spring nights and not worry about the dew/rain. It was awesome - cuts out wind better than the windbreak (which blew over) and gives sun protection (I am freckly). Easily fits front or sides. I'm chuffed as normally my homemade items end up in the bin!View attachment 24706 View attachment 24707 View attachment 24706 View attachment 24706
Sorry I think I may have pressed too many buttons and uploaded the pics too many times. Anyway, you get the drift ...

At last I downloaded the pics of the awning side I made. I think I may make another similar one out of PVC tablecloth material so I can leave it out on damp Autumn/Spring nights and not worry about the dew/rain. It was awesome - cuts out wind better than the windbreak (which blew over) and gives sun protection (I am freckly). Easily fits front or sides. I'm chuffed as normally my homemade items end up in the bin!View attachment 24706 View attachment 24707 View attachment 24706 View attachment 24706
Hi Verity, thanks for posting these pictures, the awning panels look marvellous, great colour and yet another idea for me to mull over!

IMG_0949.JPG IMG_0950.JPG
Hi we have gone with the Thule side panels and are in the process of attaching them. Forgive us for being dippy, but are the side arm attachment points just the screw heads as in the photo. We have looked through all the bits and pieces supplied but that seems to be the only solution! Thanks in advance Sarah

Hi Verity, thanks for posting these pictures, the awning panels look marvellous, great colour and yet another idea for me to mull over!
I did make a PVC one too. We took it to Scotland and it was brilliant for keeping the breeze off the stove when we were cooking the bacon for breakfast. Plus it's got cute little sausage dogs on. What more could you want??!!IMG_20171006_102719.jpg

Brilliant . Can I order please ? Love the dogs.
Mandy x

Ha ha. It was dead easy. Just sewed tape at the top and put plastic holes top and bottom. Well the cotton one was easy .... the PVC one was too thick for my cheapo sewing machine so I had to do it all by hand. Very happy with the result though, and I love the elastic ball things. Very handy.

Ha ha. It was dead easy. Just sewed tape at the top and put plastic holes top and bottom. Well the cotton one was easy .... the PVC one was too thick for my cheapo sewing machine so I had to do it all by hand. Very happy with the result though, and I love the elastic ball things. Very handy.
Elastic ball things??

Thanks @Verity, your panels look great. What size of bungee did you find best?
I bought the 6" version. This make are good, strong elastics. I put these plastic eyelets top and bottom in my panel:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eyelets-...d=372088411710&_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850

Then you can thread the elastic ball bungees through and peg down, also loop them through the top holes and attach to the awning side struts. I stitched the kador strip to the top so it can also be threaded through the awning channel.

I sort of made these panels for a bit of a joke to start with, but they have been SO useful. The fabric one makes a great sunshade, as I am very freckly and can't sit in full sun without consequences, and the pvc one is a great windbreaker and protects my chef from the elements when he's out making me a bacon roll in the morning.

I bought the 6" version. This make are good, strong elastics. I put these plastic eyelets top and bottom in my panel:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eyelets-12mm-Langard-Snap-n-Tap-Plastic-Eyelets-Pack-of-20-Various-Colours/222695129934?var=521549999876&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=1&asc=49130&meid=9eaa080de2144f5fb1c99efa92809e7c&pid=100011&rk=5&rkt=12&sd=372088411710&_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850

Then you can thread the elastic ball bungees through and peg down, also loop them through the top holes and attach to the awning side struts. I stitched the kador strip to the top so it can also be threaded through the awning channel.

I sort of made these panels for a bit of a joke to start with, but they have been SO useful. The fabric one makes a great sunshade, as I am very freckly and can't sit in full sun without consequences, and the pvc one is a great windbreaker and protects my chef from the elements when he's out making me a bacon roll in the morning.

Thanks...they look really good, useful and attractive too. One final question...would you mind telling me the measurement of the panels please? Presumably you hemmed the cotton one but did you bother with the PVC? Sorry..that's two questions

Thanks...they look really good, useful and attractive too. One final question...would you mind telling me the measurement of the panels please? Presumably you hemmed the cotton one but did you bother with the PVC? Sorry..that's two questions
They're out in the van which is currently being held hostage by my front hedge so I can't give you exact measurements just now. However, I didn't bother hemming the sides of the fabric at all as it had selvedges. The
Sorry Gillian, I can't get to them to measure at the moment as the van is backed up to the hedge and blocked in by two other cars and the awnings are in the boot! However, I didn't bother hemming the sides as they had selvedges. They were standard curtain fabric width - 52 inches I think. When I made them I hemmed the top with the kador strip attached and put the plastic eyelets in just underneath the strip. Then I hung it up and pulled it out to see where to hem it so I got it at the right height from the ground when using the ball bungees for pegging out. Then I hemmed the bottom, boshed the eyelets into the bottom about an inch and a half from the edge and hey presto, a perfectly fitted shade!

Next time I can get into the boot I'll get them out and measure them (this is the problem with having such a fabulous hidey-hole for my Cali - it's away from prying eyes and Cali thieves, but I can't access the stuff in the boot without a lot of Butterflies-style car moving!).

Hi Gillian - sorry it took me so long to get back to you. We got back from a trip Saturday night, washed the van today and I remembered I was going to measure the panels. As mentioned before the width was just the fabric width, the length is 182cm, which seemed right with the 6 inch ball bungees.

The van is now as shiny as a new pin, and I can't wait to get back out in him again!

Back