Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tear in wind- out awning fabric

D

David Bradley

VIP Member
Unfortunately the wind-out awning was fitted to my new California slightly too far forward on the rail. The result was the upper rear corner of the drivers door catching on the fabric when opening and closing. Over time this has torn the first 2" of the fabric away from the awning mechanism at the root end. I think I will have to get a new fabric sheet. Any ideas about where I would get one from or how easy it is to fit one?

If it's an official vw awning then it's made by omnistor. They would be my first port of call

My drivers door also catches the awning, I just try to be careful with it to avoid damage, this is a nuisance. Wonder if this is a common problem and not just due to the fitting of the awning which you would expect to be straight forward.

Having taken the whole mechanism off the Cali it is clear that it could have easily been fitted an inch back on the rail and avoided the problem.

I am sure it could be further back but that would reduce the protection provided by the awning to the side door opening. Note that being in Scotland our main use of the awning is for rain rather than sun protection.

We now try to ensure the front of the awing is kept highest with water run off to the rear, that minimises interference with the drivers door.

Back