Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Awning Rattle Sorted

Mullaghroe

Mullaghroe

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
My awning had started to rattle over road bumps and uneven surfaces. Mentioned it to my brother-in -law @silversurfer and he produced the solution in the form of the Thule Positioner Arm part for TO 5102, (see attached). These plastic clips replace the existing sponge pads and , hey presto, no more rattle. Just thought I can't be the only one who didn't know they existed. Cheers Pete

Attachments

• Thule Positioner Spring Arm for TO 5102.pdf
    410.9 KB · Views: 118
My awning had started to rattle over road bumps and uneven surfaces. Mentioned it to my brother-in -law @silversurfer and he produced the solution in the form of the Thule Positioner Arm part for TO 5102, (see attached). These plastic clips replace the existing sponge pads and , hey presto, no more rattle. Just thought I can't be the only one who didn't know they existed. Cheers Pete
No problem. But I’m not @silversurfer hahaha

My awning rattles when its up not when going along - I have a 2022 T6.1 and the awning has those black clips in

I wound it out fully and then back a bit to take up the slack - I tried to replicate the noise it seems the roller has a bit of play not sure if this is normal so I need to find another van to try

I think the black clips are only applicable when the awning is in travel mode and not extended

The roller should be static, when wound out the material , as you say, should be under tension (wind it back in a little) , it sounds like you either have a broken component or an issue with the awning generally!

can you take a picture of thd ends if the roller (awning open, looking from inside to the end of the roller) and where you belive it is able to move from

I can replicate the sound by putting my fingers up and wiggling the roller in the middle its as if there is play at one or both ends

need to pop in dealers when I pass and see if they have one in the show room

I just got back from a European trip (Austria and Czechia mainly) and part way through the trip, the aforementioned rattle made it's presence known.

It appeared to come from awning but I couldn't understand why.

Thanks Mullaghroe - found those clips already on the van (T6.1). They had slipped along the track to the front. Once I positioned them according to the (somewhat vague!) Thule instructions, canopy flap is now firmly in place and I am confident problem solved!

Which leaves the question - What's the best way to stop clips moving out of position?

I just got back from a European trip (Austria and Czechia mainly) and part way through the trip, the aforementioned rattle made it's presence known.

It appeared to come from awning but I couldn't understand why.

Thanks Mullaghroe - found those clips already on the van (T6.1). They had slipped along the track to the front. Once I positioned them according to the (somewhat vague!) Thule instructions, canopy flap is now firmly in place and I am confident problem solved!

Which leaves the question - What's the best way to stop clips moving out of position?
Put the original self adhesive pads next to them or a bit of automotive foam tape.
I have two sets of the black anti rattle thingy, strangely one set fit better than the other.

Hello. I suffer from the same rattle. As a new owner i am not too familiar with the internal workings of the awning. Its a 2020 Coast. Would you expect that my awning has the clips fitted already and if so/or not where would i expect to see them? I can help silence my rattle by opening the drivers window and placing my hand on the outer casing. I have tried different amounts of winding in but does not seem to help. Might be the outer casing against the awning body too of course. Thanks in advance.

Hello. I suffer from the same rattle. As a new owner i am not too familiar with the internal workings of the awning. Its a 2020 Coast. Would you expect that my awning has the clips fitted already and if so/or not where would i expect to see them? I can help silence my rattle by opening the drivers window and placing my hand on the outer casing. I have tried different amounts of winding in but does not seem to help. Might be the outer casing against the awning body too of course. Thanks in advance.
Couple of photos should help

949FD92B-547C-4F80-8F2E-C6FF03FC5122.jpeg

A6DBA813-E272-4A89-BA18-FDA602C92DDB.jpeg

Back