Awning Removal

• Thread starter inthemidnighthour
  • Start date
inthemidnighthour

inthemidnighthour

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Is it a straight forward job to remove the awning, as i have been thinking about removing it and the bike rack over the winter period to stop any deterioration ,or am i being too careful

thanks
dave and lisa :!:

Very easy. As far as I remember you just open it out and then you can see the retaining bolts. Undo these, and lift off the awning- two man job. Then raise the roof, to get access at the securing clamps/brackets, remove the bolts from here, and then pull out the seal. When refitting it, the seal is a right pain to get back, in the right place, but can be done.

I'd say don't bother with the sun canopy. I find it handy in the winter with the lower sun in the sky.

The bike rack, as I'm sure you know, is a easy to remove.

HTH :thumb

The most important thing to do when removing the awning and removing the supporting brackets is to change the bolts that held the supporting brackets onto the top of the roof. From memory you get bolts that are long enough to go through the brackets and roof, but then need shorter bolts to go back into the empty holes. If you fit the removed bolts then these can go through and casue water to leak inside.

thanks

I've removed my awning and am now trying to reattach it.
However what I've apparently failed to notice is the the two metal holders that fit onto the roof rail and make the connection to the awning are different. As a result of this, I'm unsure which one goes in the front and which one in the back.

Currently I've attached this one in the front:
front.jpg

This one to the back:
back.jpg

But as you can see in the image below, the rubber strip doesn't close properly near the back!
topview.jpg

In the front part it is okay and fits underneath the awning, but near the back it is no longer.

Can someone please check this for me and compare with his/her awning?

Went to look just now ,
Seems my 2012 has a diffren rail .....
But still here pics
The bracket on the rear

image.jpeg

The one on the front
image.jpeg

The rubber just sits in between the two brackes
Think you need to aline the two brackets in the correct position so all is straight in line foor the rubber to seal off.

Could it be the rubber seal is not correct , try it the other way arround....

Did you not mesure and wrote down and took pics before you removed it all....?
Do it next time , one always carry a camera in thier pockets these days , use it.

Thanks.
The rail may be different, but the brackets are the same. So I have them correct (front/back)
I can't move the brackets as they are attached with fixed bolts in fixed holes (under the opening roof).

I can't tell from your picture if I've attached the rubber correct or wrong.. Is it , from the rail, going down, then folded up against the awning? Because mine is just going .up from the rail
I've made a better picture of my situation:
IMG_20150927_154213.jpg

As to why no pics.. well, it wasn't removed by me. Long story short, in order to save weight before the examination ("keuring") it was removed, otherwise I would have lost 1 of my 7 seats.. stupid rule.. anyway, thanks.

To replace the rubberised seal use copious amounts of washing up liquid as lubricant. Lots of bubbles when it rains ...

Where exactly, between the rubber and the awning? or between the awning and the rail? Or both?
I've found out I could bend the rubber slightly up near the rear, so that it looks to tighten a bit better, still not perfect though.
I guess the most important reason to have it is to prevent rain in between the awning and the car, right? Then it should be good enough, the way it is..

Replacing the rubber seal: I tried just pushing it into the groove which runs along the top edge of the van. Seems virtually impossible. Instead slide the rubber into the groove from the tailgate end using washing-up liquid to lubricate. You will need to keep adding more w-u l as the the friction increases with the inserted length. I found I was thinking 'why did I start this ...' and now the awning stays on all winter.

Replacing the rubber seal: I tried just pushing it into the groove which runs along the top edge of the van. Seems virtually impossible. Instead slide the rubber into the groove from the tailgate end using washing-up liquid to lubricate. You will need to keep adding more w-u l as the the friction increases with the inserted length. I found I was thinking 'why did I start this ...' and now the awning stays on all winter.
Ha, clever you. I never thought of this. I also thought 'this is going to be a tough job' but kept on pushing, piece by piece, and 20 minutes later with two worn out thumbs, I completed the task. No, I'wont remove it anymore either ;)
But I'll have to miss the bubble festival when it rains.

The awning is very easy to remove, though it's a two person job to refit it. You need to fully open the awning to access the two retaining bolts (one each end).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How do they look? Opened the awning a bit and not sure I can see them.
Open the awning and look through a round hole in the bracket and you will see the bolts 1 each side and 2 each side on the roof