Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Can I get through? Parking in town?

P

Paulinchen

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi everyone,

Just joined your forum because was in the happy position to pick up our Cali this weekend. First thing we thought lets go into town and have lunch to celebrate.

Easier said than done: all 4 of our multi story car parks have a 6'6"hight restriction. Could not squeeze the Cali through because the awning and the bicycle rack.

Any of you have the same problem or am I just too careful?

Second question in relation to bike rack and awning: Does it make sense to remove both in the winter when not used to be able to clean properly and checkfor damage and rust?

P

Hi everyone,

Just joined your forum because was in the happy position to pick up our Cali this weekend. First thing we thought lets go into town and have lunch to celebrate.

Easier said than done: all 4 of our multi story car parks have a 6'6"hight restriction. Could not squeeze the Cali through because the awning and the bicycle rack.

Any of you have the same problem or am I just too careful?

Second question in relation to bike rack and awning: Does it make sense to remove both in the winter when not used to be able to clean properly and checkfor damage and rust?

P

I think 6'6" should be OK, just. I'm not sure bike rack (with no bikes!) adds anything, neither does the awning. Where it's tight one of us just watches as we annoy people behind by going under the barrier very slowly. My main worry is forgetting when we have the bikes loaded and thinking we'll be fine under a 2m barrier.

Hi Paulinchen, I would try and avoid multi storey car parks if at all possible in a Cali. You don't see many vans in them for a reason.

You should be fine at standard 2m car parks - as noted the awning and bike rack are below the level of the roof, been under many in ours.

Just don't forget when you have bikes on top, I got the front half under a barrier on hols before my son shouted: "...the bikes!?!"...

Thank you both.

On our first attempt to drive into the multi storey the top of the awning cover scraped ever so slightly so I got out and lifted the red and white board to get the Cali safely in. But I made my husband drive out again as I did not like the idea of scraping further especially with the speed bumps meeting us on the other side.

I had a flat tire once inside a multi storey and poor chap from RAC had to walk it as his van would not fit, so yes I get what you mean, larrylamb.

I guess I will have to do without them.

P

You should be fine at standard 2m car parks - as noted the awning and bike rack are below the level of the roof, been under many in ours.

Just don't forget when you have bikes on top, I got the front half under a barrier on hols before my son shouted: "...the bikes!?!"...

Our awning seems to be about 2cm taller than the roof of the car. And the top of the folded bike rack equally so. Are you saying both bike rack and awning are same hight of your roof?

One my main reasons for having a Westy/Cali is so we can park in city-centre underground car parks while on tour. If it's looking tight then my wife or eldest son hops out and double checks on the way in. Been very close to some air-con ducts before but yet to scrape anything!

Second that. Yes, beware the aircon ducts, so look up as well as behind & sides when reversing. Had a very near miss recently that would have been expensive!

If it's tight you also need to take into account any inclination and declination.If these appear quickly after the restriction you may get a wedgie! :D Think its best to stay clear if possible. :

Our awning seems to be about 2cm taller than the roof of the car. And the top of the folded bike rack equally so. Are you saying both bike rack and awning are same hight of your roof?

Ahh , you're right - the awning is 2cm or so higher (but the bike rack is lower than my roof) but most 2m barriers are pretty conservative I would not leave it to 2cm clearance anyway!

we just avoid

Get a magnetic sign for the back ....... "Delivering: Medical priority"

Carry a box with a sign "blood products" (excellent for a trip to Sainsbury's)

Park on the pavement outside.

Black pudding?

I suppose some families with small chikdren using Cali as daily driver can't use 3rd option if their local area has mostly multi story tight car parks....

As to the the other two options, do you speak from personal experience or suggesting an experimental go...

I suppose some families with small chikdren using Cali as daily driver can't use 3rd option if their local area has mostly multi story tight car parks....

As to the the other two options, do you speak from personal experience or suggesting an experimental go...

They are a package, not a list of options :)

Generally if you are in a vehicle carrying a sign "medical priority" and you yourself carrying "blood products" or similar then the council will reserve you a space by painting some very pleasing double yellow lines on the road ... :shocked

Seriously, I was joking ....:D

They are a package, not a list of options :)

Generally if you are in a vehicle carrying a sign "medical priority" and you yourself carrying "blood products" or similar then the council will reserve you a space by painting some very pleasing double yellow lines on the road ... :shocked

Seriously, I was joking ....:D

I know!

I am also known as painter of double yellow lines in some places.

I too was joking, seriously...

Your awning must be fitted differently to mine then as although the awning looks as if it is higher, because the roof is concave with the centre higher it is in fact no
higher . I proved that with a 6' spirit level. I also have a solar panel fitted and the total height is 1997mm. No problem with 2 m height limits.

Your awning must be fitted differently to mine then as although the awning looks as if it is higher, because the roof is concave with the centre higher it is in fact no
higher . I proved that with a 6' spirit level. I also have a solar panel fitted and the total height is 1997mm. No problem with 2 m height limits.
Thanks, I think our wheels might be the problem. Got the 16" ones, would make the whole thing higher. We were told its a 2m clearence and most car parks show 1,98m so I guess I have to look for alternatives....

Thanks, I think our wheels might be the problem. Got the 16" ones, would make the whole thing higher. We were told its a 2m clearence and most car parks show 1,98m so I guess I have to look for alternatives....

I think you have the 17" wheels not the 16".

Your awning must be fitted differently to mine then as although the awning looks as if it is higher, because the roof is concave with the centre higher it is in fact no higher . I proved that with a 6' spirit level. I also have a solar panel fitted and the total height is 1997mm. No problem with 2 m height limi
If you have the approved VW wheel sizes and tyres in 16", 17" or 18" formats then they ALL have the same wheel diameter and so there is no change in height. If you have tyre sizes different to those recommended by VW then their might be a height change.

Following this thread with interest - I rarely want to go into a height restricted car park, but bI really must remove the surf bars that came with my van when I bought, just in case. I'm not a surfer anyway!

Back