Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Awning setup on a windy day...

Smiffy4bikes

Smiffy4bikes

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Just thought I’d post this pic to help those worried about using their awning on a windy day...

We went to a site over the weekend, and it was fairly blowy all weekend, winds of up to about 15mph. Luckily we were able to park up close to a tall hedge for some protection, bit I was still worried about the wind damaging the awning.

However, Fiamma storm straps were used as was the (Brandrup) side panel, which kept it all very stable and I’m pleased to report the awning stayed very solid all weekend :thumb

IMG_1675.jpg

Top work fella. I didn't bother with tie downs til a random gust in the Highlands slammed my Fiamma vertically 90' into the raised poptop, wrecking a bracket & twisting the whole back panel of the awning cassette *

Surprising how little wind can make it want to take off.

* Apologies if you're bored of reading this one from me, but it'll save someone else a lot of aggro eventually!

* Apologies if you're bored of reading this one from me, but it'll save someone else a lot of aggro eventually!

No need to apologise at all @hirsty, your 'experience' has meant we are a lot more cautious about pegging the awning down well and we now have some heavy duty tie-downs too. Information sharing at its best.

Just thought I’d post this pic to help those worried about using their awning on a windy day...

We went to a site over the weekend, and it was fairly blowy all weekend, winds of up to about 15mph. Luckily we were able to park up close to a tall hedge for some protection, bit I was still worried about the wind damaging the awning.

However, Fiamma storm straps were used as was the (Brandrup) side panel, which kept it all very stable and I’m pleased to report the awning stayed very solid all weekend :thumb

View attachment 21456
We've bought the Brandrup sail too, but haven't used it yet. Good to know that, well pegged down, it will be fine in the wind.

We've bought the Brandrup sail too, but haven't used it yet. Good to know that, well pegged down, it will be fine in the wind.

Its a great piece of kit. I was very hesitant as its not cheap, but it's a great example of you get what you pay for. Well made, looks great, fits perfectly.

It gives you some privacy, works well as a wind break and also helps to keep the awning sturdy, win win! I made a small bag for it and I store it with the chairs in the tailgate.

I've bought the spreader plates from the club shop, you can get four rock pegs per foot (supplied) in the ground over a wider area. Plus the holes in the awning feet are tight for rock pegs.

Having seen a Cali where the wind whipped the awning up and smashed it into the roof side causing £££££s of damage every time the wind gets up I wind it in!!!! Storm pegs and guys are good but I don't trust anything at all and as we sleep up top we hear the warning flapping if wind comes at night and yes I have been known to get up at 2am to wind everything in! I also always lower one side a bit at night so if there's a downpour it does not gather and make a scary bulge!

Back