Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Awning stolen - which insurance do you have?

Ray Cali

Ray Cali

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Following on from my previous thread, concerning my stolen awning.
I am considering switching insurance companies from Comfort, which uses Aviva. Aviva are insisting I fit a tracker and Comfort are going to increase my premium from £486 - £665. I have 8yrs no-claims at present.

So the question is should I stick with Comfort or switch, if so what insurance company do you recommend?

Thank you

Peter Roberts

Peter Roberts

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Following on from my previous thread, concerning my stolen awning. I am considering switching insurance companies from Comfort, which uses Aviva. Aviva are insisting I fit a tracker and Comfort are going to increase my premium from £486 - £665. I have 8yrs no-claims at present.

So the question is should I stick with Comfort or switch, if so what insurance company do you recommend?

Thank you
Im just wondering what difference a Tracker will make if someone nicks your awning? Surely a Tracker is fitted inside the van and not inside the awning. Or is it they think you are now a target.. Really just an excuse to increase the premium..

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Following on from my previous thread, concerning my stolen awning. I am considering switching insurance companies from Comfort, which uses Aviva. Aviva are insisting I fit a tracker and Comfort are going to increase my premium from £486 - £665. I have 8yrs no-claims at present.

Thank you
You could try Caravan & Motorhome. I had a claim for a £17500 caravan, some years ago that was a right off, hit by a coach on the motorway some years ago. Replaced with the new year model and an apology that it took so long, 5 weeks, but they had to wait for it to be built. Renewal premium went up by £10.
I'm still with them for the California, paying £403 for upto 20k miles/year.

Ch1pbutty

Ch1pbutty

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
We are with Justkampers insurance who use various brokers. Costs us approx £300 basis 10,000 miles a year, incl uk/euro breakdown cover, camping gear etc, 8years NCB & Protected NCB ; Had to claim due to panel damage (scraped a gatepost), Claim was handled very quickly. This year premium only increased by £50 so stuck with them.

Last edited:
Ray Cali

Ray Cali

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Im just wondering what difference a Tracker will make if someone nicks your awning? Surely a Tracker is fitted inside the van and not inside the awning. Or is it they think you are now a target.. Really just an excuse to increase the premium..
Yes, they say that the van could now be stolen, which I agree is a poor excuse to increase the premium. The van was not tampered with, so if they were going to steal the van, they would have done it and removed the awning in a safer place.

BeagleMum

BeagleMum

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150

Thank you
Insurance is a minefield, we are with Aviva they never asked us to fit a tracker.

BeagleMum

BeagleMum

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Yes, they say that the van could now be stolen, which I agree is a poor excuse to increase the premium. The van was not tampered with, so if they were going to steal the van, they would have done it and removed the awning in a safer place.
That’s a pathetic excuse, any of our vans could be stolen.

jeff

jeff

Home is where you park it !
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
You could try camping and caravan club I currently pay £300.00 that's for 5000 mile a year. You might have to become a member but pretty sure they will give you a quote first

2into1

2into1

Née T4WFA. Now running 2006 LHD T5 SE 130 Manual
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 130
I don't know if our postcodes up North hurt us. When comparing with others I always pay more with a couple of small dodgy postcode areas close to me. Also not having access to another vehicle adds an added layer of complication (I mean expense!), as does needing some business use... And then I'm left hand drive....

The bargain price of Cali insurance starts from the assumption they are holiday / leisure vehicles. Much obvious deviation from that starts limiting your options.