Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Half wrap / insurance

C

ClaireDavidson

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Hi everyone
We've just bought a 2019 Cali Ocean in candy white, and were thinking about getting the bottom half wrapped. We are just getting insurance sorted and in talking to a couple of insurance companies (e.g Comfort, VW) I have asked about a wrap. They say they can't insured the vehicle has been wrapped - even just partial. Comfort did say a respray would be OK... which I dont really understand (but all new to this). Has anyone got experience of getting a wrap and this being OK with their insurers? Which insurers are you with?
Thanks in advance

Not sure why Comfort are taking this stance but LV will insure a half wrap no problem.

Hi everyone
We've just bought a 2019 Cali Ocean in candy white, and were thinking about getting the bottom half wrapped. We are just getting insurance sorted and in talking to a couple of insurance companies (e.g Comfort, VW) I have asked about a wrap. They say they can't insured the vehicle has been wrapped - even just partial. Comfort did say a respray would be OK... which I dont really understand (but all new to this). Has anyone got experience of getting a wrap and this being OK with their insurers? Which insurers are you with?
Thanks in advance
Odd but I’ve heard this before. Maybe they’ve had bad experience of paint being damaged by the wrap?
You’d think they’d allow it if installed by a list of competent installers.

I think it may well be because there is no guarantee you can get the same colour wrap in the future if you have an accident.

Not sure why Comfort are taking this stance but LV will insure a half wrap no problem.
Thanks, that's good to know. Our car insurance is with LV so will ring them tomorrow and see what they say. I liked the cover from Comfort and have read good things about them on here. Just really surprised as we didn't realise getting a wrap could be a problem.

I think it may well be because there is no guarantee you can get the same colour wrap in the future if you have an accident.
Yes, this does sound like a possibility.

I am with comfort and when I told them about the PPF ‘wrap’ they said they could not insure me.

when I explained that it was a transparent film that doesn’t alter the standard colour and what’s listed on the V5 I had to provide before and after pictures (looked exactly that same ) as well as invoice to prove I had the work carried out, and now the PPF is insured.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Admiral had no problem with mine - I an online chat thingy and they said to select the option to say it had 'Exterior decorative changes' under the modifications section or something like that. Need to be clear that it is less than 50% and the overall colour has not changed nor does it need change to V5. I didnt try any other companies so dont know how difficult others can be.

You should be aware though that even if you declare modifications, many motor inurance companies will only cover restoring your vehicle back to manufacturer standards - often with clauses in the small print like: "damage to any non-manufacturer parts are excluded from coverage". So I fully expect that if mine needed repair, I would have to replace the vinyl at my own cost as they would simply restore affected parts back to white paint. Fortunately I have some excess roll from the batch it was wrapped with so a colour match should be OK if I just had to replace a single panel for example.

Thanks all for your responses. We went with AIB (under written by Aviva). I spoke to them yesterday and they said it wouldnt be a problem to insure. Just need to let them know and it would be added as a note to the policy.

Caravan & Motor Home Club had no problem with insuring a
my two tone wrap. ALSO made two claims against third parties who were at fault for damaging Mandelson my van that required the panel to be re-wrapped after repair and painting. The re-wrap was done at the wrappers of my choosing but allowed the initial repair to be done at an appointed VW body repair shop near me. Note you need to wait several weeks for new paint to fully harden before wrapping.