Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Comfort Insurance - Don’t know they’ve replaced your windscreen - and it invalidates your insurance

silversurfer

silversurfer

During my ‘renewal chat’ today, the Comfort Insurance person asked me about previous accidents. I mentioned, out of interest, the 2 windscreens I’d had replaced by them following breakages (I haven’t been lucky - 2 flying stones and both in the West Country).

She said that she needed to be informed about these. I replied that they’d both been replaced under Comfort Insurance. She replied that the claims were handled by Aviva and Autoglass, who didn’t tell Comfort. So they were unaware of these claims, and if push came to shove, the lack of declaration would (could?) invalidate my insurance.

Kafka used to write books about this stuff. He’d have enjoyed our insurance industry.

Anyone else had problems with Comfort? Or not told them that they’ve told them they needed a new windscreen?

The good news is that I was spurred to look for other deals, and have done rather better with my car insurer (LV)

The world is going to hell in a hand cart, this is just the tip. Its everywhere :mad:

When asking for a quote from Comfort, I told them the camper is parked in the car park outside my garage with (CCTV & security lighting), they said unless its on your land deeds its parked on tbe road as far as we are concerned and we wont cover.
No other insurer has ever asked this.

When asking for a quote from Comfort, I told them the camper is parked in the car park outside my garage with (CCTV & security lighting), they said unless its on your land deeds its parked on tbe road as far as we are concerned and we wont cover.
No other insurer has ever asked this.
That’s a bit unfair considering that you wouldn’t get a California under a lot of garage doors...Make a ramp and park it on the roof they would probably be happy with that.....

The trouble is even if they don’t ask and it’s in the reams of small print, they’ve got a get out!
I was surprised that “modifications” included all optional extras, climatic air con, side assist, upgraded alloys etc even though these were “from the factory “.
Gave them a good A4 size list.

One of the reasons the insurance companies ask about any extras is that if your van is stolen any items you said that you had like a £3000 infotainment system fitted and £2000 wheels and you didn’t tell them they wouldn’t cancel your insurance they would probably just pay out for the equipment fitted when it was manufactured...

One of the reasons the insurance companies ask about any extras is that if your van is stolen any items you said that you had like a £3000 infotainment system fitted and £2000 wheels and you didn’t tell them they wouldn’t cancel your insurance they would probably just pay out for the equipment fitted when it was manufactured...
Agreed, but then why did @ArunAlec have to tell them about all the Factory options fitted in the Factory? I understand about items fitted Post-Factory.

Agreed, but then why did @ArunAlec have to tell them about all the Factory options fitted in the Factory? I understand about items fitted Post-Factory.
Probably the same reason, those factory fitted options could add £10k+? Would the insurers only pay out base price?

Probably the same reason, those factory fitted options could add £10k+? Would the insurers only pay out base price?
VW can confirm the build options from the VIN.

VW may be able to tell spec from VIN but insurers dont have access to VW database. They have standard spec for model but each individually ordered model and mods can only be given by owner to insurer. They would then base premium on actual model and cost ( and stealability :Stig)

Surely if you had to claim for the windscreen your first call would be to comfort. They would then pass you over to whoever is going to deal with it, therefore they have been informed!

VW may be able to tell spec from VIN but insurers dont have access to VW database. They have standard spec for model but each individually ordered model and mods can only be given by owner to insurer. They would then base premium on actual model and cost ( and stealability :Stig)
C & MH Insurance didn’t want to know about any Factory or Dealer fitted Options. Just told me to keep the Vehicle Invoice in case of a claim. Any further modifications to be notified.

Comfort hiked my premium by over £100 when they discovered that I had had a no fault motorcycle theft claim 3 years ago. I couldn’t argue with it because the theft and claim was a fact, but I felt the amount they lifted the premium by was disproportionate to the risk. I insure 9 vehicles and have had very few claims over the last 30 years.

So let's get this right. You bust a screen. They replace it. Then you have a crash. Your insurance is invalid? At least they owe you a refund on the insurance.

You may already know this but if not take a read...
You have a cooling off period.

I can’t see how an individual can declare every optional extra...?
The process is so complex and varied that most dealers wouldn’t be able to tell you every optional extra...!!!

I can’t see how an individual can declare every optional extra...?
The process is so complex and varied that most dealers wouldn’t be able to tell you every optional extra...!!!
I just took details off the original invoice, which listed all the extras that had been added to the “ basic” California.

In the past when I have spoken to various insurance providers they have said they were only asking for options added after factory order /spec. So if it options added to the "base model" who has said to there insurance company Rear tinted windows, side awning, cruise control, Metallic pain etc? (excluding @ArunAlec who has)

I just took details off the original invoice, which listed all the extras that had been added to the “ basic” California.

I wonder how that works on, let’s say a 2 year old vehicle with the second owner getting the majority of then paperwork.
If you see what I mean?

I wonder how that works on, let’s say a 2 year old vehicle with the second owner getting the majority of then paperwork.
If you see what I mean?
You could ask VW based on the VIN number, or use the Options sticker, doubt if that was removed from the vehicle.

Insured with Comfort three Calis now, one SE, and two Oceans. Every time I have insured or reinsured I was asked the value not what I paid but the value. Then after market extras either VW fitted or a third party inc self fit, all listed and documents sent out.

You could ask VW based on the VIN number, or use the Options sticker, doubt if that was removed from the vehicle.

Or perhaps the impetus should be on the insurance companies understanding fully what they are insuring instead of banking on genuine anomalies to catch out honest people who pay for a service and just want complete insurance cover.
Let’s have a system that’s honest and transparent

Or perhaps the impetus should be on the insurance companies understanding fully what they are insuring instead of banking on genuine anomalies to catch out honest people who pay for a service and just want complete insurance cover.
Let’s have a system that’s honest and transparent
Personally I've had no problems. 2 write offs over the years and each time settled with no fuss for more than I expected, but then I don't go for the cheapest but the insurance that fits my needs in a simple no fuss manner. Probably could save money but then I dont want hassle if there is a claim.

If you see what I mean?
I was that man! Second owner but the van came with original paperwork.
I guess it’s simil to home insurance, some companies want all valuables of a specific value listed, whereas my insurer takes a punt and just goes by a price for type of house, number of rooms and post code.

Surely if you had to claim for the windscreen your first call would be to comfort. They would then pass you over to whoever is going to deal with it, therefore they have been informed!
Yes, surely. And they denied it. Seems like deliberate avoidance to me, which is why I posted here to warn others.

Back