Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

awning use in the rain - opinions please

G

gatvol

Might I ask for some insights as to how users of the oem awning deal with likely rain, the issue being that there is a danger that the awning may just collect water and bulge in the middle.

It is a problem for me as I find the awning as a great way of keeping the van dry when using the sliding window at night for ventilation. I just open it partly and try to angle it so the rain flows off more easily. Id be grateful for any thoughts pls

We've had a surprise "bulge in the middle" incident. It looked horrific but the awning recovered with no issues at all.

I think if you only extend the awning by 12" or so, it is unlikely to get to the point where too much water can pool.

On occasions, I have left the awning fully extended in heavy rain. I've used a couple of poles (intended to be used to "extend" the door of our driveaway awning) across the top of the awning struts and held loosely in place with cable ties. That worked a treat. No amount of rain would have caused an issue.

I also have one of the tensioning rafters but haven't yet used it. I'm not happy with the 'fit' in so much as it could (although unlikely) potentially become dislodged and if it did, it would be in prime position to damage the van.

For ventilation ovenight, we leave the front windows open slightly - under a silverscreen and the wind deflectors. Works well for us.

Rain will run off fine if you just lower one end. You do have to put up with it looking wonky and the danger of banging your head though!

-Tim

Like this.

Wind protected, rain shirked, loo tent set up. Sounds of the sea come for free.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380977494.644505.jpg

Exactly!

like the toilet tent. Well, to be more exact, Mrs Nemo would like the toilet tent. Where did you get it? Does it pack up small?

-Tim

Ours is a Gelert Brook Shower/Utility Tent - see here:

http://amazon.co.uk/dp/B004O6MGM6

We paid a little over £30 in 2011 but it seems to have gone up a bit since then! Current quoted price on Amazon is £47.26.

It seems pretty strong and well made, although gale force winds on Mull cracked one of the tubes of the frame. So far that's holding up fine with Gaffer tape.

Packs small and light and takes the Cali table if you want to use it for ablutions. No floor, and we normally use a couple of split cane beach mats underfoot, as they don't mind getting damp.

Let me know if the link doesn't work

There are some other tent reviews under the Thetford Portapotti 335 Review thread.

Agree you should dip the awning at one end from my experience rain can be accompanied by wind so tie your awning down to be on the safe side. I thought I would be ok and nearly got quite a fright when the whole awning lifted in a storm.
Also consider whether you want the awning open at night as it can flap about quite a bit and the sound has kept us up at night. On the plus side at least you have a dry patch to walk onto we you come out of the van in the morning.

Absolutely. Ours in the picture is down on the windward side, and the Windblockers cut down the chance of lifting too. But if the wind is likely to get above a Force 3 then the awning comes in.

ChrisandPenney52 said:
Absolutely. Ours in the picture is down on the windward side, and the Windblockers cut down the chance of lifting too. But if the wind is likely to get above a Force 3 then the awning comes in.

Totally agree with Chris & Penney...

Wind tends to be the issue rather rain as long as the awning is canted to let the water run off. Never had a problem even in the heaviest downpour.

We ALWAYS use tie downs and big (very big... almost like rebar) pegs to hold it down.

Regards
Mark