Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Awning in the rain

Vincent123

Vincent123

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
We have recently bought an Awning kit via Nick at Comfortz Leisure - it has enhanced the enjoyment and capabilities of the van massively. Up to now we have been lucky and only used the kit in good dry weather. Off to the Lakes later this week and predictably the forecast is for heavy rain at some point. I understand it is good practice to have one support leg lower than the other to allow rain to drain off the Awning - any other advise as I am unsure of the Awnings limitations.

Heavy rain , usualy is combined with wind ....
I would take no risk , it takes only 60sec to roll the awning in , it can save you a lot of
£

If the ground levels allow try and get both legs lower than the awning body on the van and then one leg lower than the other so water runs away from the van and then to one end. This can result in a strange looking set up that is a bit low to live under so I will fix at this angle before bed if rain is expected, but is better than waking up to a massive bulge full of water or a ripped cover. I tip a 2 litre bottle of water over it before going to bed if I am unsure about the angle to make sure it flows as required.
We have found that pegging down the legs / feet with the 4 pegs supplied (2 in each foot) is enough to stop the awning lifting in the wind.
We use the awning on every trip as my avatar shows (which doesn't show an angle as no rain was expected) and have never had any problems in torrential storms and gales.

As Calikev said, peg legs down properly. Use guy ropes on each corner and tension the awning canvas, don't leave it loose. Front lower than back and one leg lower than the other. If you do get a puddle of water then push from underneath to get rid of it and although the canvas material may appear stretch it will return to shape quit quickly.:thumb

It's worthwhile getting the Fiamma rafter. We've not had a puddle on the roof since using it. Ask Nick he can get them.
Agree it is worth getting the Fiamma rafter or Thule also make one too i seem to recall. If I find the link for the thule I will post this.
Dropping one leg is a good tip, but be wary that in hot countries where downpours are heavy and short in duration, you can still get an accumulation of water unless the drop is severe. The drop can be trial and error but the rafter gets over this... Once the fabric has stretched, the likelihood to sag in future becomes more likely.... Just my experience

Last edited:
Agree it is worth getting the Fiamma rafter or Thule also make one too i seem to recall. If I find the link for the thule I will post this.
Dropping one leg is a good tip, but be wary that in hot countries where downpours are heavy and short you can still get an accumulation of water unless the drop is severe. The drop can be trial and error but the rafter gets over this... Once the fabric has stretched, the likelihood to sag in future becomes more likely.... Just my experience
Ok link to the Thule rafter here.
http://www.thule.com/en/gb/motorhom...rafter-g2-_-thule tension rafter aluminium g2

If the ground levels allow try and get both legs lower than the awning body on the van and then one leg lower than the other so water runs away from the van and then to one end. This can result in a strange looking set up that is a bit low to live under so I will fix at this angle before bed if rain is expected, but is better than waking up to a massive bulge full of water or a ripped cover. I tip a 2 litre bottle of water over it before going to bed if I am unsure about the angle to make sure it flows as required.
We have found that pegging down the legs / feet with the 4 pegs supplied (2 in each foot) is enough to stop the awning lifting in the wind.
We use the awning on every trip as my avatar shows (which doesn't show an angle as no rain was expected) and have never had any problems in torrential storms and gales.
Where are the sides for your awning from Archie?

Looking at one of these rafters what fiamma one did you get ?

We got the standard Fiamma one because it has a curve in it to lift the roof slightly. Then fitted our own LEDs to it wired to a switch in the back of the van. I'm not sure sure but I think the rafter with the built in LEDs doesn't have a curve so the awning top doesn't drain as well.

Thanks, I take it it fits the vw T6 awning ?

We got the standard Fiamma one because it has a curve in it to lift the roof slightly. Then fitted our own LEDs to it wired to a switch in the back of the van. I'm not sure sure but I think the rafter with the built in LEDs doesn't have a curve so the awning top doesn't drain as well.

I like the look of your awning panels - can I ask where you got them from?

We have also done something similar with LED lights and an extending shower rail :0

Thanks, I take it it fits the vw T6 awning ?

Well they are really made for the Fiamma awnings (which we have) but they have been tried on the VW Omnistor and seem to work OK. I'm fairly sure that someone on here has one.
If you are going to the Lower Lode meet then you are welcome to try it.

I like the look of your awning panels - can I ask where you got them from?

We have also done something similar with LED lights and an extending shower rail :0

The awning panels are from Comfortz Leisure. Lots of people now got them.

This happened in barcelona, spain. It rained while out site seeing. Not a very good picture, but cleared water off, and now awning ok, we have had it worse than thisIMG_3594.jpg

The first time we had a massive water bulg in the awning from overnight rain I foolishly pushed it up and of course it all gushed down the back of my neck much to the current mrs snowys amusement.
Nowadays if we leave the awning out at night I always lower one leg to aid water drainage.

At the risk of being a repeat awning bore, having had an (admittedly un-pegged) Fiamma F45S flip up vertically in the wind smash into the poptop & shear an aluminium bracket in half, I play it safe now and wind-in at the first sign of anything more than a very light breeze or spitting rain.

It was also a bugger to remove the whole cassette and then stash inside the van to bring home from Highlands for mending (longer & heavier than it looks when mounted!)

Also had a lot of rain pooling on it during a wet week in France last year & bought a rafter soon afterwards, but too risky for me now. It's a big surface area for water on top and/or wind to catch underneath.

Anyone used one of those telescopic clothes line props they sell in hardware stores to add a centre support?

Just today set up an expanding shower rail to use this weekend at the Isle of Wight Festival. Also bought a strip of USB powered LEDs, in warm white, from amazon and have stuck them on with a small power bank to power them so as to avoid wires trailing down and inhibiting the door closing. I'll charge the power bank through the day from a folding solar panel. Total cost is about £12 (not including the solar panel) so not too great a problem if it all falls apart but a dry run today (should have taken pictures) seemed okay. However it'll be a test if it rains and there is no curve to the pole so I have no great expectations of it being anywhere as good as a dedicated pole with the appropriate fittings and shape.

Anyone used one of those telescopic clothes line props they sell in hardware stores to add a centre support?

We tried it but they don't really lift the awning up to make it drain. I did try putting some pipe insulation foam round it but all seemed a bit of a faff so got the rafter.

Also bought a strip of USB powered LEDs, in warm white, from amazon and have stuck them on with a small power bank to power them so as to avoid wires trailing down and inhibiting the door closing.

Interested to hear how this goes over the weekend Andy. Assume a standard USB lead into an Anker type battery that you use to top-up a phone on the go? How long do you think they'll last off a power pack?

I've seen the neat LED strips in the Fiamma book, though I'm not sure I want them mounted full time and hardwired into the van, and like you I don't want another cigar-lighter plug trailing around to trip over.

Have fun at IOW, keep us posted - take pics!

I agree the Fiamma is a better bet that Thule because of upward curve...

Back