Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bad smell in the fridge

Annik

Annik

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
We normally leave our fridge open when the van is not in use but whilse away on holiday ( not in the cali) we left it closed with some food in there which had gone mouldy. The fridge now smells very bad, even after cleaning. Any ideas what we can use as I know certain chemicals you can't use in a fridge?

we spray and wipe out using detox seams to work

Bicarb of soda.

Then get one of those small fridge deodorisers. I also use lemons cut in half left on the bottom of the fridge

I’m suffering funky fridge smells. It seems fine when left and not on. I’ve cleaned and aired thoroughly, but still seem to suffer with the funk.
Basically the after day use it starts to pong.

Will have give the lemons a try

I’m suffering funky fridge smells. It seems fine when left and not on. I’ve cleaned and aired thoroughly, but still seem to suffer with the funk.
Basically the after day use it starts to pong.

Will have give the lemons a try
I use an Activated Carbon Fridge Deoderiser. Just leave in Fridge. I leave the fridge open, cloth under lid, when not in use. Worked for the last 6 yrs.

Good job I read through all the posts, I thought 2016 the fridge would of got up and walked out the door after that amount of time :)

popped open while not in use to air and cleaned with Bleach based cleaner.

I keep it open when not in use

no smells even after fish / smelly cheese

mine is a dometic cfx28 in my beach so possibly slightly different

Last edited:
Dr. Google says:-

One way to do this using household items is by spreading a thin layer of baking soda on a large cookie sheet and leaving it in the fridge overnight. If you don't have baking soda on hand, oats and coffee grounds are also natural odor absorbers and will get the job done just as well.

I do keep the fridge slightly open when not in use, perhaps I’ve not left a big enough gap to allow proper airflow...?
Will definitely try some of these ideas.
Thanks all.

We just leave a folded Tea Towel at the front of the fridge to just hold the lid up a bit and let the air circulate. Also leave another one at the bottom of the fridge to absorb any moisture that might collect there when the fridge is turned off after use. Never noticed any problems.