Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Battery problem on the way to being solved - any ideas now?

Anthony1

Anthony1

Too young to be old
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
I finally traced my flat battery problems by doing a parasite leak test, we had to remove and replace at least 70 fuses and dicovered my Dashboard Control Unit was the culprit.. Fuse removed and the dasboard info is gone, but so is the battery drain.

Bizzarely there were no fuse diagrams in any of the VW Manuals. I had to search the internet for.

Has anyone had the same problem? If so does it require a new control unit? expensive I guess.

thank you.

What is dashboard control unit ??
Fuse locations are never been in manua.l

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Probably Part 9.
Certain electrical systems wake up when you unlock the car. Likewise they go to sleep when the car is locked. If they don't - Power Drain.

Screenshot 2019-07-11 at 07.32.31.jpg

9 is the BCM body control module that controls the majority of convenience, lighting.
it won't be cheap as the labour and programming it requires etc.
Which fuse did you remove as there are quite a few feeding the various circuits it controls?

Last edited:
Yes BCM makes sense.

To be precise it is: Control unit in dash panel insert, the little diagramme which shows if a door is left open, the odometer, outside temp etc.

We removed fuse 18 (fuse box under the passenger side dash), and the drain dropped from 0.5 amps to 0.01 amps.

Today I will seek advice from either Eurovans in Portslade of SMG in Cowfold or both.

Fail! I had the van on charge all night, it only turned the engine over a couple of times and would not start. I replaced the fuse and it started. There may be another parasitic drain. More testing tonight.IMG-20190710-WA0000 (2).jpg

Last edited:
May be worth finding someone with vcds to do a scan & see what faults show, which may point you in rite direction.
Where abouts are you? I have vcds if you are near milton keynes.
I suspect a dealer will say to book it for diagnostics.

You could try posting on t4/t5 forum as not cali specific problem.

Fail! I had the van on charge all night, it only turned the engine over a couple of times and would not start. I replaced the fuse and it started. There may be another parasitic drain. More testing tonight.View attachment 47386
The instrument display also contains the immobiliser and parts associated with the energiser coil surrounding the ignition lock, if you try and start without the fuse it will be immobilised.

We removed fuse 18 (fuse box under the passenger side dash), and the drain dropped from 0.5 amps to 0.01 amps.

Today I will seek advice from either Eurovans in Portslade of SMG in Cowfold or both.
Did you wait for at least an hour after ignition OFF , leaving door/doors open with Cab lights in OFF position, before testing and removing fuses. It can take at least 30 mins for all the electrics/electronics to shut down and sometimes longer. I think you need to get some Diagnostics carried out.

I have noticed that the little display in the centre of the IMG_20190711_133419.jpgdash doesn't switch off, at ll. I think that may be the problem. Now I need to figure out how to fix it. I am leaning towards a visit to a VW dealer now.

Thank you. Nowhere near Milton Keynes. And yes that is
May be worth finding someone with vcds to do a scan & see what faults show, which may point you in rite direction.
Where abouts are you? I have vcds if you are near milton keynes.
I suspect a dealer will say to book it for diagnostics.

You could try posting on t4/t5 forum as not cali specific problem.

I am nowhere near MK, but thank you anyway. A good idea re the forums

We had this issue on here once before.

Solution: close the bonnet properly. (The bonnet open is indicated by solid white on the display area of the bonnet.)

I closed the bonnet and the display went off. It would be great if it was a simple as that. I will do a leak test tonight.

Thank you

I closed the bonnet and the display went off. It would be great if it was a simple as that. I will do a leak test tonight.
Hope it works - but the solution I offered was only for the open door display to go off, not your more general problem.

I had a situation where the battery appeared to be drained by various modules according to the breakdown person. The van was only a few weeks old and the guy was certain the battery was not at fault. The battery died only hours after even a long run. A couple of weeks later a new battery was installed and we've had no problems since.

Electrics can be confusing.

I had a situation where the battery appeared to be drained by various modules according to the breakdown person. The van was only a few weeks old and the guy was certain the battery was not at fault. The battery died only hours after even a long run. A couple of weeks later a new battery was installed and we've had no problems since.

Electrics can be confusing.
That was the “ Moll “ Battery problem restricted to earlier T6 vehicles.

Did you wait for at least an hour after ignition OFF , leaving door/doors open with Cab lights in OFF position, before testing and removing fuses. It can take at least 30 mins for all the electrics/electronics to shut down and sometimes longer. I think you need to get some Diagnostics carried out.

You are right, time for the experts to have a look and send me a great big bill. Oh well the price of owning a super duper vehicle I guess.

Finally sorted it after pay £428.
A new battery was required but the garage did all manner of drain tests etc.

The reason I didn't get a new battery to start with was Caffyns and Halfords both said the battery was good. I guess they only did a quick votage test.

So it was the battery after all. In my case the 'experts' looked for complex solutions and not the more obvious because the battery was 'too new to have a fault' they insisted. Glad it has been sorted out.

Back