Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Battery reading draining while hooked up

Melanie Day

Melanie Day

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 102
Hello

We have beach 6.1 and we recently got a new main battery. We noticed on this trip while camped and hooked up that there was something draining the battery.

Our reader showed 12.4 but was slowly decreasing day by day.

We had a usb plugged in behind the passenger seat - once this was unplugged the readings started to increase again.

Is this normal?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

That suggests your hookup wasn't working, either an internal RCD (I assume the beach has one like the ocean?) or externally an RCD on the "supply point" on the campsite. Does the beach have the little orange "plug" icon that lights up on the display when on EHU? Was it on if so?

That suggests your hookup wasn't working, either an internal RCD (I assume the beach has one like the ocean?) or externally an RCD on the "supply point" on the campsite. Does the beach have the little orange "plug" icon that lights up on the display when on EHU? Was it on if so?
I don't think we have a light that shows for EHU.

The readings on the usb behind the passenger seat and also on the one by sliding door is 13.9 - but the one on the dash is 12.4 and was draining until we stopped using usb charging behind passenger seat.

Can we double check; what year is your van? You say 6.1 in your post but your profile say a T6?

Does your beach have the RCD secreted in the back corner above where the Jack is hidden?
If so check it is "on" such that the EHU is powering the mains socket, if it the same as a T6 there is no display other than having an idiot light on an appliance plugged into the mains socket, we use a:

Mine was a 2017 T6, how are you reading the voltages for USB? do you have a usb converter with digital readout plugged into the 12volt cigarette lighter sockets?
The dashboard 12v socket runs off the engine battery, the three back ones run off of the leisure battery. If the engine is running the batteries are "linked" through the split charger, if the engine is off they are not.
The EHU gives you 240v at the mains socket and charges the leisure battery, whether the charger charges the engine battery is awkward, on some vehicles it does, on some it doesn't.
I always worked on the premise it didn't, so on electric hookup everything ran from mains through masterplug adapter, when off grid everything connected to rear three 12v sockets only, front socket only used when driving. When we sold our Beach last month, all batteries were original with no problems.

Mine was a 2017 T6, how are you reading the voltages for USB? do you have a usb converter with digital readout plugged into the 12volt cigarette lighter sockets?
The dashboard 12v socket runs off the engine battery, the three back ones run off of the leisure battery. If the engine is running the batteries are "linked" through the split charger, if the engine is off they are not.
The EHU gives you 240v at the mains socket and charges the leisure battery, whether the charger charges the engine battery is awkward, on some vehicles it does, on some it doesn't.
I always worked on the premise it didn't, so on electric hookup everything ran from mains through masterplug adapter, when off grid everything connected to rear three 12v sockets only, front socket only used when driving. When we sold our Beach last month, all batteries were original with no problems.
Yes we have digital USB voltage reader.
The reading on the rears are all 14.9 when on hook up.

The front lower usb in the dash shows 12.5 currently but was 12.9 earlier in the trip. We think that the usb behind the passenger seat is draining the battery somehow as we have used it to charge devices.

When the charging devices were removed the dash voltage goes up and stays stable but drops again if we use that charging usb.

Does your beach have the RCD secreted in the back corner above where the Jack is hidden?
If so check it is "on" such that the EHU is powering the mains socket, if it the same as a T6 there is no display other than having an idiot light on an appliance plugged into the mains socket, we use a:

There doesn't look to be any RCD in the place where the jack is. There is a rear usb in this area which measures 14.9.

The RCD is above the Jack Storage behind the grey trim almost level with the EHU plug on outside, but if USB in back measures 14.9v then the mains charger is charging leisure battery

some vans seem to have been wired differently to the norm .

You can check the voltage of the B pillar socket etc, with either a plug in voltage device or a volt meter.

As you say when plugged into EHU the voltage should be 13.9 + Volts for the rear sockets (B pillar, C pillar & Tailgate). When unplugged from EHU the voltage should start to drop when using a 12v device (plugged in).

The front 12v socket located in the dash (location depending on dash type), should be connected to the starter battery , this can be checked as above. Starter battery should read IRO 12.6 volts or less when having sat for 60 minutes after driving.
You can verify the connection to the starter batter, via volt meter reading from the battery terminals. (Should read the same as the socket)
If you start the vehicle (when the starter battery voltage is less than 12.6 volts, the smart alternator should then start charging the starter battery , (voltage should show in range of 12.6 - 14.9 volts )

As mentioned above, some seem to get a trickle charge to the starter battery when on EHU.
This is an anomaly and not by design.
Any charge reaching the starter battery whilst on EHU will be small and probably only enough to maintain starter battery voltage.

The starter battery will naturally loose charge from day to day, for example If I am camping on hook up fro approx 4 days, i would expect the starter battery to be IRO 12.6- 12.9 volts at rest 60 minutes after arriving at a site, this then start to deplete , say for example I read the voltage after several days I would expect it to be IRO 12.2 - 12.5 volts.

If you leave it for several weeks the starter battery voltage will keep dropping to point where is will not have sufficient charge to start the van.

So long story, check the front socket / starter battery voltage to verify thd front socket is connected to the starter battery (I suspect it is)
If connected to starter battery what you described in post one is normal and purely coincidence , probably based on your starter receiving a trickle charge whilst on EHU when the leisure battery became full and went onto float when the USB device was removed from the rear socket.

some vans seem to have been wired differently to the norm .

You can check the voltage of the B pillar socket etc, with either a plug in voltage device or a volt meter.

As you say when plugged into EHU the voltage should be 13.9 + Volts for the rear sockets (B pillar, C pillar & Tailgate). When unplugged from EHU the voltage should start to drop when using a 12v device (plugged in).

The front 12v socket located in the dash (location depending on dash type), should be connected to the starter battery , this can be checked as above. Starter battery should read IRO 12.6 volts or less when having sat for 60 minutes after driving.
You can verify the connection to the starter batter, via volt meter reading from the battery terminals. (Should read the same as the socket)
If you start the vehicle (when the starter battery voltage is less than 12.6 volts, the smart alternator should then start charging the starter battery , (voltage should show in range of 12.6 - 14.9 volts )

As mentioned above, some seem to get a trickle charge to the starter battery when on EHU.
This is an anomaly and not by design.
Any charge reaching the starter battery whilst on EHU will be small and probably only enough to maintain starter battery voltage.

The starter battery will naturally loose charge from day to day, for example If I am camping on hook up fro approx 4 days, i would expect the starter battery to be IRO 12.6- 12.9 volts at rest 60 minutes after arriving at a site, this then start to deplete , say for example I read the voltage after several days I would expect it to be IRO 12.2 - 12.5 volts.

If you leave it for several weeks the starter battery voltage will keep dropping to point where is will not have sufficient charge to start the van.

So long story, check the front socket / starter battery voltage to verify thd front socket is connected to the starter battery (I suspect it is)
If connected to starter battery what you described in post one is normal and purely coincidence , probably based on your starter receiving a trickle charge whilst on EHU when the leisure battery became full and went onto float when the USB device was removed from the rear socket.
Thanks so much this is very reassuring!

Hello

We have beach 6.1 and we recently got a new main battery. We noticed on this trip while camped and hooked up that there was something draining the battery.

We had a usb plugged in behind the passenger seat - once this was unplugged the readings started to increase again.

Is this normal?

I have a VW GC Crafter 600, 2020. My battery was doing the same thing on hookup and NOBODY could explain why or fix. I drove all over Scotland enjoying scenic visits to VW garages, spending money and being assured that 'we have fixed your problem ma'am!'. BS.

My stress levels went through the roof. Three months later and thanks to the fact that I come from a family of Baby Boomers, my clever brother spent an entire day on this. To start, he dismantled the electrical unit -no problem. He tested both batteries and found that the leisure battery is the one definitely underneath the floor of the driver's seat and the engine battery is - well I never! - located under the bonnet. They are both AGM stop-start batteries.
He then stuck his head underneath the driver's seat and found, wavering in the air, a kettle plug. No socket though. He tested all the gubbins under the seat, showing to me the battery charger unit with the horizontal fins like a car radiator - this is the extractor unit for the battery. But why is this kettle plug swanning around with nowhere to go? We could find no information to explain this until we searched this blog and discovered a hint.

Eventually with more contortionist efforts brother dear located a socket on the left-hand side of the driver seat housing, (with your bum on the seat, this is the right-hand side). I still cannot see it. He plugged it in and hey presto! The battery was immediately being charged on hookup. It transpires that the charger's kettle plug can become disconnected from it's socket when the seat is manipulated ie: pushed back and forth or turned.

Simple! But how many miles, hours and card payments did it take to discover this? I can't tell you. I need more hours to work this out.

THIS IS AN APPEAL TO VOLKSWAGEN: Please produce a video and or produce a manual explaining this. I could not find documentation, photos or diagrams dealing with the stuff under the seat and yet it is fundamental to the effective running of the camper. As a second thought - why on earth does this plug have to be so inaccessible?

Nothing also on how to manipulate the panel on the side of the bench seat facing the kitchen cabinet. Why.

I have a VW GC Crafter 600, 2020. My battery was doing the same thing on hookup and NOBODY could explain why or fix. I drove all over Scotland enjoying scenic visits to VW garages, spending money and being assured that 'we have fixed your problem ma'am!'. BS.

My stress levels went through the roof. Three months later and thanks to the fact that I come from a family of Baby Boomers, my clever brother spent an entire day on this. To start, he dismantled the electrical unit -no problem. He tested both batteries and found that the leisure battery is the one definitely underneath the floor of the driver's seat and the engine battery is - well I never! - located under the bonnet. They are both AGM stop-start batteries.
He then stuck his head underneath the driver's seat and found, wavering in the air, a kettle plug. No socket though. He tested all the gubbins under the seat, showing to me the battery charger unit with the horizontal fins like a car radiator - this is the extractor unit for the battery. But why is this kettle plug swanning around with nowhere to go? We could find no information to explain this until we searched this blog and discovered a hint.

Eventually with more contortionist efforts brother dear located a socket on the left-hand side of the driver seat housing, (with your bum on the seat, this is the right-hand side). I still cannot see it. He plugged it in and hey presto! The battery was immediately being charged on hookup. It transpires that the charger's kettle plug can become disconnected from it's socket when the seat is manipulated ie: pushed back and forth or turned.

Simple! But how many miles, hours and card payments did it take to discover this? I can't tell you. I need more hours to work this out.

THIS IS AN APPEAL TO VOLKSWAGEN: Please produce a video and or produce a manual explaining this. I could not find documentation, photos or diagrams dealing with the stuff under the seat and yet it is fundamental to the effective running of the camper. As a second thought - why on earth does this plug have to be so inaccessible?

Nothing also on how to manipulate the panel on the side of the bench seat facing the kitchen cabinet. Why.
Unless you have a truly one off Grand California I can 100% state that the leisure battery is located under the bonnet. The battery under the floor is the starter battery. They are both of the same type.
The kettle lead being disconnected from the charger has been a common issue and is well known in the GC community and an easy fix.
Sorry your experiences haven’t been great, but please look again carefully at where the leisure battery is located.

Hello

Is this normal?

Did you have the dash media unit on? They use a heavy current. We're the lights on in the front when doors opened. You can turn them off when camping.

Did you have the dash media unit on? They use a heavy current. We're the lights on in the front when doors opened. You can turn them off when camping.
No nothing on in the front, I think one of the explanations above demonstrates that the readings are actually normal.