Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leisure Battery very hot?

B

Black Camper

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi All, we’re on our first trip in our 2019 Beach, this evening I noticed a strong smell and found out the battery under the passenger seat was very hot. Is this normal? We were hooked up to the electric on a camping site in the uk (standard hook up). Been away for 5 nights with no problem until now. I’ve unhooked from the mains for now to see if it cools down. Any help appreciated...

This happened to us with a leisure battery in our old Eriba. When hooked up the battery began to boil!!
It turned out to be internal plates coming loose in the battery and therefore shorting. The only answer to this was a new battery.

Hi All, we’re on our first trip in our 2019 Beach, this evening I noticed a strong smell and found out the battery under the passenger seat was very hot. Is this normal? We were hooked up to the electric on a camping site in the uk (standard hook up). Been away for 5 nights with no problem until now. I’ve unhooked from the mains for now to see if it cools down. Any help appreciated...
Normal? No. Faulty battery most likely.

Warm is ok, hot definitely not. Don't use that battery until you have had it checked or changed. If it gets very hot, boils, then a breach of the battery is on the cards. The result of that is strong acid spill into the cabin (you may be lucky and have a capture tray) and VERY unpleasant fumes.

When you get home take it back to the dealer.You are still under Warranty so you are covered...

If it smells like rotten eggs (here we go again...), it definately is a cooking battery. The sulferic fumes are very strong.
Don't charge the battery anymore, as it can explode.
The corrosive acid can melt plastic and clothes, and burn your skin and eyes.

Happy camping???

Thanks all, sounds like a new battery required. It cooled overnight but I won’t be hooking it up again until sorted! Disappointed that this is the 2nd electrical issue in a Cali that’s done less than 1000 miles!! The first one being a missing fuse!

Thanks all, sounds like a new battery required. It cooled overnight but I won’t be hooking it up again until sorted! Disappointed that this is the 2nd electrical issue in a Cali that’s done less than 1000 miles!! The first one being a missing fuse!
It happens I'm afraid. That's why there is a warranty. The Dealership should also check the Mains Charger output but more than likely the battery. A faulty charger tends to just fail/stop working.

I would suggest disconnecting the battery from everything or turn everything off. You do not want to either charge or discharge that battery!

Hi all, quick follow up question... vw roadside assistance tested the battery, faulty cell and as per your advice needs replacing. It’s been disconnected... Now for the beginners question... I understand that running on the electric hookup charges the leisure battery but now that the battery is disconnected can I still use the hookup? I.e does the hookup bypass the battery when providing electricity to the lights and plug in the rear of the van?

Hi all, quick follow up question... vw roadside assistance tested the battery, faulty cell and as per your advice needs replacing. It’s been disconnected... Now for the beginners question... I understand that running on the electric hookup charges the leisure battery but now that the battery is disconnected can I still use the hookup? I.e does the hookup bypass the battery when providing electricity to the lights and plug in the rear of the van?

Yes, you can still use the hookup. This will work as normal, but any 12v sockets usually powered by the leisure battery will be dead - only your 3 pin 240v socket will provide power (+ any 12v sockets powered from main battery).

It will be best to get two new leisure batteries.

Yes, you can still use the hookup. This will work as normal, but any 12v sockets usually powered by the leisure battery will be dead - only your 3 pin 240v socket will provide power (+ any 12v sockets powered from main battery).
Brilliant, thanks for this response!

It’s all part of the joys of mortgaging your life away and owning a VW California..I had two new batteries at exactly 3 years old so were under warranty..

Good afternoon,

Almost 200 Euro for a battery :shocked , I hope they last for 10 years!

Expensive California
Eberhard

Hello Peter,

I should have know that they are expensive - everything to do with the California is rather expensive.

So far I have no problems with the batteries (touch wood). As soon as I have a bit more time I try to search here (and google) to see how long those batteries last (average).

My van is three years old ....

Happy California,
Eberhard

Hello Peter,

I should have know that they are expensive - everything to do with the California is rather expensive.

So far I have no problems with the batteries (touch wood). As soon as I have a bit more time I try to search here (and google) to see how long those batteries last (average).

My van is three years old ....

Happy California,
Eberhard
I really wouldn’t worry too much you could be lucky and your batteries could last for many years..One thing I would say is to make sure the batteries are put on hookup at least once a month regardless if you use it or not..Also switch off the control unit and any dash cams or sat navs that are supplied by the leisure batteries..The difference if you disconnect these two things is incredible..With everything switched off the batteries are 80% after 6-8 weeks..If left on batteries 40% at 2 weeks..Makes a massive difference...

If you can set up a hook up at home and leave on hook up permanently when not in use, unless using very regularly. This way the battery is always fully charged. A friend does this with his narrow boat with 4 X 120Ah leisure batteries and after 10 years are still in excellent condition. I leave my van on permanent hook up at home when not in use.